Mosquito Helicopter Forums

Full Version: Governor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Are there any kind of governors available like on the R22?
I know there was one in the works previously, but I'm not sure of the status.

John U. could probably give a better response on the governor status.

If there is not one in the works, I could design one. I have most of the mechanical parts spec'd out, and the electronics are not too hard to do.

There is going to be an add on governor for the Instrument system we are designing.

The main information needed is how much pull is required on the throttle cable. A fishing scale, and half an hour or so, could get this information, but no one has ever provided it. The servo to control the throttle will need to be able to pull this amount. With the information, we will be guessing on the servo strength.

I am willing to do the design, but can not obtain the information without a 3.5 hour drive, which will be happening in a month or two.

James L
There is a governor kit listed in the add ons for $800 I don't know if that is for a recip or turbine.( Note I guess me and James were typing at the same time)
bking - 5/18/2009 4:46 PM

There is a governor kit listed in the add ons for $800 I don't know if that is for a recip or turbine.( Note I guess me and James were typing at the same time)

Bking,

I have talked to John about the governor he offers. He does state it is functional, but could be improved upon.

I know at one time there was an improved version in the works, but I'm not sure of it's status.

We decided to include a governor option on the instrument system. We figured we are already processing the rotor and engine rpm, so we already have the information needed to control them as well.

But to give some indication, we have been a little lax on getting the instrument system done. There were two reasons for this. One we do not like the monochrome screen we are using, we were waiting on the color version to come out. It is not out yet, but is very close. Color is out, just not a sunlight readable version. Two, the costs of research and development was killing us. We went ahead with our SMT business to help finance the system.

There has been a lot of development finished recently. We have three issues to address, then the system will be tested by a member of this forum. One of the issues has created a delay, but we hope to have the system operational by August.

A governor is definitely doable, but the throttle pull is the main hold up on the system. If someone (anyone) will measure the cable pull at the twist throttle (pull cable out or twist grip, attach fish scale, pull, and read measurement) we can be further along with it's development. We have five possible servos so we will be able to handle just about any pull measured (within reason). Care should be taken that the pull measured is the carbs in free movement, and not topped out.

If we get some feedback, we can develop a system in short order.

James L
Hopefully you guys will have that worked out and up and running. I would like to have that option when I finally get up the $$$ to order mine. Thanks for all you guys hard work!
bking - 5/18/2009 6:15 PM

Hopefully you guys will have that worked out and up and running. I would like to have that option when I finally get up the $$$ to order mine. Thanks for all you guys hard work!

Well, to be perfectly frank, the system was due out about two years ago. We have dropped about $6000 in just development. That would have paid for an "Air" airframe kit.

It is hard spending that kind of money with no knowledge of investment return. Just because we build it, doesn't mean people will want it.

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

James L
I've built a governor for my Air which is now at the point where I would not want to change anything on it. The only time I switch it off is during an auto.

A second governor is being tested by another Air owner and I am waiting for feedback before I make it available to others.

An XE version is also in the pipeline. It works on the same principle but the servo mounting will be a bit different.
Oskar - 5/18/2009 7:12 PM

I've built a governor for my Air which is now at the point where I would not want to change anything on it. The only time I switch it off is during an auto.

A second governor is being tested by another Air owner and I am waiting for feedback before I make it available to others.

An XE version is also in the pipeline. It works on the same principle but the servo mounting will be a bit different.

I would like to hear more about your system. If you have a working governor, I do not see a reason to include it on the instrument system. That would be redundant.

[Edit] I am interested in knowing what type of reading sensor you used for the governor[edit]

James L
The point of my question deals with the possibility of a drive train failure in flight.

If it were to fail while in flight, the pilot would add one more thing to deal with while doing an autorotation. If you are reading both engine and rotor rpm, the system could be smart enough to automatically disengage, and save the MZ. If you are not, there is a possibility of loosing the engine, pilot or both.

It is a safety issue, we addressed when thinking about building a governor.

I hope yours addresses this issue as well.

James L
Good thoughts!

Although this is probably not at all practical, I'm thinking the ideal governor would also be able to put pressure on the collective and stick
such that it would lower the collective once full engine power was reached, and if the helicopter was cruising fast, easing back on the collective to
slow it down to the optimum speed. Also if the rotor overspeeds, reduce power and raise the collective a bit. All of this overrideable by the pilot of course.

Hoyt Stearns
Scottsdale, Arizona US
http://HoytStearns.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7