Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,443
» Latest member: Ralph Bryant
» Forum threads: 5,449
» Forum posts: 26,562

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 5 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 4 Guest(s)
Ralph Bryant

Latest Threads
Toy Haulers
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: FlyGuy
2 hours ago
» Replies: 11
» Views: 545
Radio Interference
Forum: Instruments
10-16-2017, 06:20 PM
» Replies: 37
» Views: 2,808
First Hovering Experience
Forum: Mosquito Flight Adventures
Last Post: Frederic Moreau
10-14-2017, 03:25 PM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 2,088
New Turboprop for Ultrali...
Last Post: pilotarix
10-10-2017, 08:02 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 854
Ag Spray system for Mosqu...
Last Post: TS Rupcich
10-06-2017, 07:39 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 382
vibrations
Last Post: mosquito
10-04-2017, 06:40 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 226
my flights
Forum: Flyin's
Last Post: jimwitkowski
10-02-2017, 01:39 AM
» Replies: 44
» Views: 3,516
Mosquito accident in Odes...
Last Post: mosquito
09-28-2017, 03:22 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 335
Avionics for sale
Last Post: Richard Italia
09-20-2017, 02:46 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 191
Hurricane Irma vs Mosquit...
09-15-2017, 12:00 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 344

Mosquito's fun day
Posted by: mosquito - 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM - Forum: Mosquito Flight Adventures - Replies (2)

Went on three flights yesterday. I live on an acreage just outside of Calgary so I fly out of my driveway.
First to visit a friends acreage but it turns out he wasn't home. I guess I could have phoned first but, oh well.
Second I took off to check out the lake at a nearby town. On the way back I flew over top of a broken off poplar tree with a great big hawks nest in the top center. I circled back and dropped down for a closer look. Mom hawk was giving me the evil eye so I kept a distant hover as I'm quite sure she was sitting on her eggs. Dad hawk showed up over head and then I noticed a coyote on the other side of the tree. I think dad was more worried about him than me as the nest couldn't have been more than 8 ft off the ground so I chased the coyote away. Chasing a coyote in a helicopter is kind of like chasing a rabbit. They can run fast and then turn 90 degrees on a dime. Makes it a bit tough some times as I cant get the Mosquito to do that yet.
We decided to get a video that evening so it was off to the convenience store at the town in the other direction. The store is right by the highway on the edge of the town with an open pasture on the other side. Perfect for landing in. Run over and get the video. Answer a few questions for the people that stop to check it out and you're off again.
Just the kind of day the Mosquito was made for. The day before it was off to one of my machinists acreage to pick up some parts and a few days before that it was down to the Bow River valley to land on an island in the middle of the river "just because I can" (and you can't without getting wet).
That's what owning your own personal little helicopter is all about!

Print this item

Safety
Posted by: SamW - 06-09-2006, 08:11 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (3)

I would like to start off by saying I don't think there is a safer vehicle in the air than a helicopter. However there is one thing that they all have in common, that is if the rotor stops spinning they have a glide ratio of a brick... Has this ever happened with a Mosquito? And even if that hasn't happened has anyone ever died flying in one? If so can you tell me about it? I don't mean to be stick in the mud but I like to have both sides to a products reliability. All things made by man will break given enough time.

Print this item

NOTICE TO MOSQUITO OWNERS
Posted by: Operation - 06-08-2006, 05:34 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (7)

Hi, If you have just registered to this site and you are already a proud Mosquito owner, Please use the Inbox above to send a private message to either Mosquito, or Operations to be added to the builders group. This will add a new button to the menu structure on the left with special access to the builders forum.

Blair Hollands
Operations
Mosquito Aviation.

Print this item

Missing Vender Instructions??
Posted by: alohajoseph - 06-07-2006, 11:53 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (2)

Buiders:
Can anyone confirm if the vendor inserts instructions/parts list for his MZ202 engine. Expected to find some type of documentation upon uncrating, in preperation for mounting, but found nothing. Hoping one of the experienced builders could enlighten me before bugging Compact-Radial (web) or John. Thanks guys. Joe

Print this item

Flight Characteristics of the Mosquito
Posted by: lugo2214 - 06-06-2006, 12:29 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (19)

I think there are enough people checking this web-site for developments daily. A chat room would be nice to interact with all the Mosquito watchers............... :o What are the flight characteristics of the Mosquito

Print this item

A Heli Hello every one!
Posted by: Mario - 06-02-2006, 11:05 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (3)

I am elated to find the new Mosquito site, and would like to wish Blair and John good luck and success with it. All to the benefit of us builders and prospective folks who own or wish to build one of these great little machines. I've built one and flown it. Trust me, you will never feel a rush of "adrenaline" quite like it; and honestly can say that you can't beat its performance and capabilities for the money. Not that money should be the most determining aspect when embarking in such an endeavor, but it certainly makes it more attainable a reality to the average folk who could only dream of owning his/her own helicopter.

I look forward to see lots of activity in this forum while being able to share my experiences with The Mosquito with everyone.
I will be on vacation thru June 12, after which time I plan to resume my participation on this forum, share my thoughts and post some video of my flying Mosquito
Best Regards,
Mario

Print this item

Builders choice
Posted by: Brad Hale - 05-30-2006, 08:49 PM - Forum: General Discussion - No Replies

If your concidering building an aircraft,buy what you will be most happy with! I bought the open frame.Some I know prefer an enclosure.A flight suite and helmet is good enough for me. The next thought you should consider is adhering to the weight restrictions of a very lean 254lb. helicopter or opting for an experimental catagory helicopter ,all types of these John sells and for cost and function there are no close competators. If you think ultralight is for you read Federal Aviation Regulations part 103. It will answer those when and where can I fly questions. Experimental catagory brings with it, Builder inspections, an EAA chapter can usually help there. Also Annual aircraft inspection,private pilot certificate with rotorcraft endorsment. I trained In A Hughes 300c my friend trained in A robinson R22. What a blast! I,m hooked. One last thing,take an intro flight somewhere so you know its for you and absolutly take john up on his discount.

Print this item

correction
Posted by: keithinBC - 05-24-2006, 01:47 PM - Forum: Flight training - Replies (4)

Straight off the street?? how much per hr? I understand 40 hours is required! Also, I am curious as to the variation on the specs' 8000ft IGE & 6000 ft OGE......could u explain this!?

Print this item

training
Posted by: Keithin BC - 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM - Forum: Flight training - Replies (1)

So, am I to understand that one can pay to take hovering etc in a Hughes or Robinson, street off the street!?

Print this item

My latest practice video
Posted by: Hoyt A. Stearns Jr. - 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (8)

Hi,

My latest video of practice hovering is now at my website:

http://members.cox.net/hoyt-stearns

It felt quite good -- plenty of power. The density altitude is about 5000 ft ( 1500 Meters) .

It can get to 122oF (50 C. ) here, but It looks as if the engine can handle it.
Another hour and I will probably feel quite comfortable removing the "training wheels"
and "pushing the limits" Smile .

If you just want to see the latest video, it comes directly from my home system because Cox, the
service provider, doesn't support such large files:

http://stearns.homeunix.com:6348/TPCH...

P.S. Since the top cylinder runs hotter than the lower one due to the increased cooling airflow at
the bottom, does it make sense to open the bottom carburetor more than the top to equalize the temperatures?

Print this item