Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,481
» Latest member: AlphaPsychoTherapy
» Forum threads: 5,459
» Forum posts: 26,615

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 5 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 5 Guest(s)

Latest Threads
Mosquito accident in Odes...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: mosquito
7 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 1,429
Mosquito Helicopters logo
7 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 765
Doors
Last Post: Gre
12-10-2017, 04:26 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 209
Hypothetical commercial a...
12-09-2017, 05:04 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 295
Swift
Last Post: FlyGuy
12-07-2017, 03:00 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 421
Evinrude Gyro-boat
Last Post: jimwitkowski
12-04-2017, 03:22 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 126
Trenton 2018 Fly-In, Get ...
Forum: Flyin's
12-04-2017, 02:03 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 125
UK?
12-04-2017, 01:00 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 178
1st Mosquito Ultralight
Last Post: Frederic Moreau
12-02-2017, 06:15 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 188
Mz202 was sold to a guy i...
Forum: Fuel and Engine
Last Post: Jaredgrosvenor
12-01-2017, 03:37 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 708

training
Posted by: Keithin BC - 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM - Forum: Flight training - Replies (1)

So, am I to understand that one can pay to take hovering etc in a Hughes or Robinson, street off the street!?

Print this item

My latest practice video
Posted by: Hoyt A. Stearns Jr. - 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (8)

Hi,

My latest video of practice hovering is now at my website:

http://members.cox.net/hoyt-stearns

It felt quite good -- plenty of power. The density altitude is about 5000 ft ( 1500 Meters) .

It can get to 122oF (50 C. ) here, but It looks as if the engine can handle it.
Another hour and I will probably feel quite comfortable removing the "training wheels"
and "pushing the limits" Smile .

If you just want to see the latest video, it comes directly from my home system because Cox, the
service provider, doesn't support such large files:

http://stearns.homeunix.com:6348/TPCH...

P.S. Since the top cylinder runs hotter than the lower one due to the increased cooling airflow at
the bottom, does it make sense to open the bottom carburetor more than the top to equalize the temperatures?

Print this item

ACTUAL AUTOROTATION(s)
Posted by: GASMAN - 05-14-2006, 06:21 AM - Forum: Performance - Replies (20)

I've seen the comment saying the Mosquito can autorotate. As a probable future buyer, I'm more interested in discussion about real autorotations which have actually been performed.
Like:
1. Does it auto well?
2. How easy is it in the Mosquito compared to other helicopters you or others have flown who can give realistic comparisons.
3. Does the rotor provide good inertia performance allowing for more capability to succeed in autos, or is the inertia performance low making the auto a more critical maneuver (more difficult to perform successfully)?
4. Discussion of actual auto experiences is very critical to my personal decision to buy a Mosquito. I know any helicopter will auto, given the physics of rotor systems, but how well a given machine will actually auto is the only really important information needed for a specific machine.

Thanks,
Eddy Thompson

Print this item

New kinds of engines
Posted by: Hoyt A. Stearns Jr. - 05-11-2006, 04:44 PM - Forum: Fuel and Engine - Replies (2)

Have a look at these:

http://www.trochilicengines.com/anima...
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Director...
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Director...

P.S. I just moved over to this forum from the old one.
See my Mosquito at http://members.cox.net/hoyt-stearns
and my suggestions and postings on the old forum.

Print this item

Law Enforcement Operations
Posted by: potbuster - 05-09-2006, 02:06 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (2)

I think that this would be ideal for Law Enforcement Operations such as Marijuana Eradication and some searching for missing person. Is there any being used for this?

Print this item

Canadian Regulations
Posted by: Jeff - 05-07-2006, 11:16 AM - Forum: Performance - Replies (1)

Does anyone know what license you need in Canada to fly the Mosquito XE and XEL? I've searched the Web and all I can find is FAA regs.

Print this item

4 stroke engine
Posted by: TexEod - 05-06-2006, 07:53 AM - Forum: Fuel and Engine - Replies (23)

Mr. Uptigrove,
I'm sure you've considered the AeroTwin engine, that powers the Airscooter II, for a possible 4 stroke conversion of you excellent Mosquito aircraft. I understand at 90 lbs. (dry) it's a bit heavy, but with the ability to mount vertically it would seem a near perfect engine. No heavy 90 degree gearbox needed. It's stated 65 horsepower, at 4200rpm, would require a different pulley ratio, but that isn't a major problem. Possibly a minimum carbon fiber body would still let it meet the Part 103 regs.
Just wanted to hear your ideas. I hope in Sept to be ordering one of your kits.
Please keep up the excellent working, keeping alot of aviation dreams alive!!!

TexEod

Print this item

mosquitos in minnesota
Posted by: caryr - 05-04-2006, 08:30 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (1)

I was wondering if you have sold any kits in Minnesota and are any of them flying.

Thank You

Print this item

what of carb heat?
Posted by: R44 Pilot - 04-27-2006, 06:13 PM - Forum: Performance - Replies (2)

Hi.
I haven't seen any mention so far of an RPM governor, or of carburetor heat. Does the mosquito have these systems? Also, it sounds like the floats are easily removeable, and (apart from the rear stab) are the only difference between the XE and the XEL. What are the legal implications of removing the floats from an XEL for flight, in Canada? Does it change the category of your aircraft, ie; from ultralight to experimental?
Thanks
James

Print this item

more info
Posted by: joekickass - 04-27-2006, 04:26 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (3)

I was about to purchase your info pack, but was skeptical it would have what I am looking for. I have many questions, but am principally concerned about the maintenance schedule for the mosquito. Is there a schedule, and what is the pricing and availability status of components? I am not an AME, can I perform the maintenance myself? I assume that you, John, are qualified to sign off the Annual Airworthiness Inspection that I'll need for my CofA, but where else can I have this done if I'm nowhere near Calgary when it comes due?
I'm still confused as to exactly what category of aircraft the mosquito fall into here in Canada. Experimental?
Thanks
J

Print this item