Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,778
» Latest member: LIWineDivas
» Forum threads: 3,609
» Forum posts: 25,682

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 5 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 4 Guest(s)
Motoman

Latest Threads
Startup manual XET + Aux ...
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: marcher07
8 hours ago
» Replies: 5
» Views: 269
NZ members.
Last Post: arrow123
12-16-2018, 09:51 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 294
Air dolly https://youtu.b...
Last Post: 77jbob
12-15-2018, 03:55 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 60
SWIFT and Air Update
Last Post: Casey
12-14-2018, 12:48 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 207
Used Mosquito Air Wanted
Last Post: timscott
12-13-2018, 04:06 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1,763
Need main rotor blades
Last Post: FlyGuy
12-12-2018, 03:44 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 204
Mosquito Heli Map
Last Post: FlyNavy
12-12-2018, 02:17 AM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 5,891
3D printed Oil Tank and F...
Forum: Fuel and Engine
Last Post: rjward1775
12-11-2018, 01:36 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 448
Helicopter Simulator usin...
Forum: Flight training
Last Post: rjward1775
12-11-2018, 01:32 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 1,129
Ontario, Canada Mosquito ...
Last Post: Andyd
12-09-2018, 04:36 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 553

2-place Mosquito
Posted by: Andy - 06-23-2006, 10:43 AM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (4)

Hi John,

Awesome machine! I've been following your website for the past year or so, and I was wondering if you have any plans for a 2-place helicopter in the future? If so, when would you expect it to be unveilled? I've dreamt of flying for years now, and have always loved helicopters, but would like to share the experience of flight with others.

Print this item

Turbine engine availability ...
Posted by: TexEOD - 06-19-2006, 09:42 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (8)

Mr. Uptigrove,
Do you have an expected time frame for the availability of the turbine powered Mosquito? Will both the open frame and XE/XEL be offered turbine powered? Do you have a rough guesstimate of what the price will be, when available?
I should be returning from Iraq around the end of August and would like to purchase a Mosquito helicopter from you. I would much rather have a turbine (or 4 stroke) powered machine than a 2 stroke, if the choice is available. I started and received 3 hours of training in a 300CB, before this job came up. I hope to return in August/September to complete my private ticket and purchase an aircraft for my recreational use. My family also has a large ranch/farm that I can use the Mosquito to check the cattle and fences with.
Please contiue the excellent work and keep us all informed of the progress on the 4 stroke/turbine powered Mosquito. It appears a dream of mine is finally within my grasp.
Thank you for your time.

David

Print this item

Turbine Conversion
Posted by: redmond - 06-18-2006, 07:26 AM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (35)

I was at the factory in Trenton Fla this week and got to see the new turbine mounted in the Mosquito and I must say a very nice installation. If all goes well the first start up will happen by the end of next week. I'm very excited about the new 90% gear box
because it will open the possiblity for a four stroke conversion. I've never had a moment of trouble with my two stroke but now we may have more options. John, Dwight and George are doing an incredible job with this conversion and the Mosquito is getting better and better.
Andy

Print this item

Mosquito XEL with & without floats
Posted by: VE5BOB - 06-17-2006, 03:45 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (32)

Hi,
I know the floats increase the weight limit for this category...but if one removes the floats and flies on the skids...does it stay in the higher weight cat. or does it lose the 65Lb allowed increase?

Robert

Print this item

Mosquito Air vs Mosquito XE/XEL
Posted by: SamW - 06-13-2006, 01:51 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (2)

From what I have read and heard, the two fly the same. But what is the difference of flight in a cabin vs. open frame? With only $4,500 difference between the two there must be some factor that would help in deciding which one to go with. Any ideas?

Print this item

Book on Helicopter Flight
Posted by: SamW - 06-13-2006, 08:10 AM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (2)

I would like to recomend the book "Learning to Fly Helicopters" by R. Randall Padfield. The book was copywrited in 1992 and I don't know if it's still being published. I bought this one used at Powell's Book Store for $15.00. I have read it three times cover to cover, and other parts many, many times. There is so much on principles of flight, safety, and other insights. I especially liked the chapter on "Helicopter Myths." The book was written in an easy to read manner (no college degree required). I read this book before I went on an introdutory flight, and it helped me beyond measure. There is no way you can learn to fly from just a book, but it will take the mysteries out of the experience and let you focus on the task at hand. Also found in the book are little things like how pressure rather than drastic movements with cyclic is prefered and how to properly transfer control between you and instructor, etc. There is so much more than I could post here, that's why it's in a book. I hope this helps someone.

Print this item

Pics and video
Posted by: Jersey dave - 06-13-2006, 07:43 AM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (2)

Hi All,
Been building this for awhile. Finally cave in and got on Myspace to post a "Blog" and pics.

Be sure to click on the video link, created by Mario (I think)

http://www.myspace.com/willitfly

Print this item

just some questions
Posted by: Robert in N.L - 06-12-2006, 12:25 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (1)

HI John, about a year ago purchased a video of the Mosquito from you and i was really intrigued by it's agility ,WOW what it would feel like to climb abord something like that and just take off. I'm building my own by the way. I have a shaft that is 2.25''wide wich I am using for the main rotor. I don't know if it's 4140, it seems pretty tough. Does it have to be 4140? I was thinking about getting that pilot training dvd. Would it be possible to get it by money order? Do i need insurance to fly?

Print this item

Where is the horizontal stabilizer?
Posted by: ik04 - 06-12-2006, 02:16 AM - Forum: Performance - No Replies

Howdy All,

I have seen one photo of a horizontal stab. in the images gallery, but the videos do not show a stabilizer on the aircraft... How is the straight and level stability without a stab?

Also, since I am experienced with commercial and military helicopters (6,000 hours)- what about engine fuel mixture adjustment during climb to high altitude?

I like the cockpit enclosure-as-structure idea, since it avoids complexity. I would like to see a conventional engine/rotor tachometer, so you can "split the needles" during autorotation. I would also make the instrument panel larger in order to hold a good-sized GPS.

Keep up the good work! I have two tiles and I'm waiting to win.... Smile

Print this item

Mosquito's fun day
Posted by: mosquito - 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM - Forum: Mosquito Flight Adventures - Replies (2)

Went on three flights yesterday. I live on an acreage just outside of Calgary so I fly out of my driveway.
First to visit a friends acreage but it turns out he wasn't home. I guess I could have phoned first but, oh well.
Second I took off to check out the lake at a nearby town. On the way back I flew over top of a broken off poplar tree with a great big hawks nest in the top center. I circled back and dropped down for a closer look. Mom hawk was giving me the evil eye so I kept a distant hover as I'm quite sure she was sitting on her eggs. Dad hawk showed up over head and then I noticed a coyote on the other side of the tree. I think dad was more worried about him than me as the nest couldn't have been more than 8 ft off the ground so I chased the coyote away. Chasing a coyote in a helicopter is kind of like chasing a rabbit. They can run fast and then turn 90 degrees on a dime. Makes it a bit tough some times as I cant get the Mosquito to do that yet.
We decided to get a video that evening so it was off to the convenience store at the town in the other direction. The store is right by the highway on the edge of the town with an open pasture on the other side. Perfect for landing in. Run over and get the video. Answer a few questions for the people that stop to check it out and you're off again.
Just the kind of day the Mosquito was made for. The day before it was off to one of my machinists acreage to pick up some parts and a few days before that it was down to the Bow River valley to land on an island in the middle of the river "just because I can" (and you can't without getting wet).
That's what owning your own personal little helicopter is all about!

Print this item