Mosquito Helicopter Forums
Thinking about building a Mosquito - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Thinking about building a Mosquito (/showthread.php?tid=10207)

Pages: 1 2

Thinking about building a Mosquito - octagon - 03-17-2019

Hi, I'm new (about 30 hours so far) but I really enjoy flying helicopters. I'd like to fly regularly for a while (perhaps 10 hours per week) for a year or two to see if the passion is still there before I go and do anything rash like quit my job or change careers. Seems like the only feasible way to do this is to own a helicopter --- one that is reasonably safe and that I can afford to operate.

The Mosquito looks great! Since I'm hoping to be able to practice a wide range of maneuvers I'm thinking that I will want to have plenty of power, so I probably don't want the MZ-202. The Inntec 800 seems superior in terms of power-to-weight, fuel consumption, and price. But it's a 2 cylinder 2-stroke with lots of moving parts. The Solar T62-2A is certainly more awesome, but the main reason I am considering it is because it seems much simpler and therefore less likely to fail suddenly in flight.

1. The Solar T62-2A in the Mosquito XET is rated for about 95 HP, not derated. I was comparing this to the T62-32 in some other helicopter designs that produce 150 HP and are derated to 95 HP. Does this make the Mosquito XET less forgiving of new pilot's mistakes?
  2. I've read reports of accidents in other types of small helicopters caused by a minor overspeed of the T62-32 triggering a safety feature that shut off the fuel at a critical moment (during a max-performance takeoff). Is the T62-2A in the Mosquito XET also susceptible to this? Is this something I should be concerned about when deciding between piston and turbine engines?
  3. Is the T62-2A a more reliable powerplant than the Inntec 800, in terms of the probability of having an engine fail in flight?
  4. Does the T62-2A require the same kinds of flying skills as the more complex free-wheeling turbines like you'd find in a commercial helicopter? Is there training benefit to flying a Mosquito XET vs. the piston model if your goal is to ultimately fly commercially?
  5. Can you practice full-down autorotations in the Mosquito XET? Can you "split the needles" with the throttle, or does that carry a significant risk of flame-out?
  6. Can the Mosquito withstand run-on landings, at least on a hard surface?
I realize that most of the above questions would probably be answered in the POH and maintenance manuals. Is it possible to buy those before buying the kit? I'd be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement or similar.

Finally, I am trying to assess the risk involved with flying an experimental kit type helicopter vs. a certificated machine like the Hiller UH-12.

1. How many Mosquito helicopters are flying?
  2. How many hours per year are flown in Mosquitoes?
  3. How many airframes have more than 100 hours on them, how many have 200, 300, ...?
  4. If I build a Mosquito XET and fly it 1000 hours am I now basically a test pilot?
  5. Are there airworthiness directives?
  6. Are parts that fail inspection before their overhaul time normally sent back to the factory for investigation in case there is a design flaw?
Sorry for all these questions, I hope this post doesn't come off as demanding or rude.

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - FlyGuy - 03-17-2019

Octagon,

Better to call Dwight at the factory or better yet come to the Fly-In March 30-31 in Trenton, FL. If you are seriously thinking about a Mosquito the Fly-In will quickly help you decide.

Michael

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - FlyGuy - 03-17-2019

Nice talking to you.

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - octagon - 03-18-2019

Thanks for your help, FlyGuy! See you at the fly-in!

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - Casey - 03-18-2019

Okay FlyGuy we need to have a talk about your giving all the advice over the phone! While it’s awesome that I’m sure you answered all of Octagon’s questions and more, but what about us? What about the forums? We need content! Even if it’s just info we’ve all seen sooo many times before! How am I supposed to add my $.02 when I don’t even know what you guys discussed  Tongue Now I’m afraid to say anything cause I don’t know if it’s been said already! Man you’re being pretty selfish here!  Big Grin  Big Grin  

(I feel the need to state that this is all said in jest  Wink )

Oh and welcome to the forum Octagon! I’m sure Mr. Flyguy got you all lined out, but for my part, I would just say that I wouldn’t recommend discounting the Inntec 800(or the “Innovative 800” as I suppose it’s called now), true it is a 2 stoke engine, but because it is derated, the risk of a 100% power lockup that 2 strokes suffer from is greatly reduced! It’s difficult to write more on these forums because for some reason my iPhone gets reaalllyyy laggy the more I type, but hopefully you’ve been put on the right path! And if not, just ask your questions and we’ll be happy to answer!

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - FlyGuy - 03-18-2019

Casey,

As I told you before, I don't like typing! There were a lot of questions and It is faster to talk to someone than text or email all day.
And we will talk, at the Fly-In!

Michael

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - octagon - 03-18-2019

Sorry, I should have written a summary here, my mistake. I'll update this thread this evening. (I'm in EST time zone.)

Also, I hope all my questions don't seem too demanding or naive... I realize that experimental kit aircraft are different from certificated ones but I'm still trying to learn what those differences are in practice. It seems to me that with kit built aircraft a lot of responsibility rests on the company producing the kit and the community of builders and owners, which is why I joined the forum. (Well, not "responsibility" exactly, but the right word escapes me at the moment.)

Thanks again to FlyGuy for taking the time to help a newb out, I appreciate that Smile

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - Casey - 03-18-2019

No need for apologies! I just like pulling Flyguy’s leg cause I know he doesn’t like typing >=P 

But yeah if you’ll be at the Fly-in, I hear that will be the perfect place to get all your questions answered! This will be my first time, so excited to meet everyone, but also super excited to see my paint job first hand haha

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - Frederic Moreau - 03-19-2019

Hello,

Let's try to give you some infos... Answers are in red...

ctagon : The Inntec 800 seems superior in terms of power-to-weight, fuel consumption, and price. But it's a 2 cylinder 2-stroke with lots of moving parts. The Solar T62-2A is certainly more awesome, but the main reason I am considering it is because it seems much simpler and therefore less likely to fail suddenly in flight. The Inntec 800 is a very very strong (derated) engine but it still a 2 strokes which makes more vibrations than the turbine. Because of this, after flying 1 year a Mosquito XE (MZ202) i choose to switch it with an XET.

1. The Solar T62-2A in the Mosquito XET is rated for about 95 HP, not derated. I was comparing this to the T62-32 in some other helicopter designs that produce 150 HP and are derated to 95 HP. Does this make the Mosquito XET less forgiving of new pilot's mistakes ?
 I read on the forum the T62-2A is a better turbine than the T62-32 so the XET should be more forgiving...

2. I've read reports of accidents in other types of small helicopters caused by a minor overspeed of the T62-32 triggering a safety feature that shut off the fuel at a critical moment (during a max-performance takeoff). Is the T62-2A in the Mosquito XET also susceptible to this? Is this something I should be concerned about when deciding between piston and turbine engines ? Never heard of it with an XET ;-)

3. Is the T62-2A a more reliable powerplant than the Inntec 800, in terms of the probability of having an engine fail in flight ? The turbine itself is for sure more reliable than a 2 strokes engine but there is still the surrounding parts which could fail so the reliablility of the 2 are somewhere the same. This is what John Uptigrove told me.

4. Does the T62-2A require the same kinds of flying skills as the more complex free-wheeling turbines like you'd find in a commercial helicopter ? Is there training benefit to flying a Mosquito XET vs. the piston model if your goal is to ultimately fly commercially ? The XET is probably the easyer helicopter to fly in the world (you don't have to play with the gaz when loading and unloading, you have more power and the extra weight makes it more stable) but in terms of training you can't do real auto to the ground and can't be used to the left and right pedals play when cutting or uncutting the gaz as it is not something we can do with the XET. You can auto but it is not a real one with no gas... The XET can give a lot of turbine hours for a very low price so it should be good if you decide to fly commercial turbine helo.

5. Can you practice full-down autorotations in the Mosquito XET ? Can you "split the needles" with the throttle, or does that carry a significant risk of flame-out ? As said up here, no...

6. Can the Mosquito withstand run-on landings, at least on a hard surface ? It should but there always is a limit.

I realize that most of the above questions would probably be answered in the POH and maintenance manuals. Is it possible to buy those before buying the kit? I'd be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement or similar. 
You should ask composit FX for that...

7. How many Mosquito helicopters are flying ? More than 300

8. How many hours per year are flown in Mosquitoes ? Most of the pilots makes around 30 hours/year.

9. How many airframes have more than 100 hours on them, how many have 200, 300, ...? Heard from Flyguy there was an XET for sale with around 830 hours on it... For the rest, i can't answer it...

10. If I build a Mosquito XET and fly it 1000 hours am I now basically a test pilot ? I don't know...i am from Belgium :-)

11. Are there airworthiness directives ? Idem point 4...

12. Are parts that fail inspection before their overhaul time normally sent back to the factory for investigation in case there is a design flaw ? Never heard about it.

Sorry for all these questions, I hope this post doesn't come off as demanding or rude. 
No probleme ! I hope it can help you a little. For the rest, as Flyguy said, if you should go to the 2019 Flyin, it will be the best to do the get all the needed infos !

Best Regards,

Frederic
Belgium

RE: Thinking about building a Mosquito - jimwitkowski - 03-19-2019

Frederic,
first let me say "Thank You", your response is exactly what a forum response should be. Having someone call or email for answers to questions doesn't help anyone else that may have the same questions. Not wanting to take the time as you did to type out the response in my opinion is a poor excuse. And telling someone to spend thousands of dollars to get their questions answered by coming to the factory fly in also seems pretty ridiculous to me. I type with 2 fingers so I am in way way a fast typist either. But if you really want to help someone, taking the time to type out the answer is the way it should be done.
I've seen questions in the past asked that would of benefited other owners in knowing what was asked and the answers were "email or message me". While it's great someone is willing to give their advice, it could be life saving by letting all other owners the answers to some questions asked.
Once again, just my opinion, so no sarcastic responses needed.