Mosquito Helicopter Forums
Mosquito Basics - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Mosquito Basics (/showthread.php?tid=10218)

Mosquito Basics - Adeel184 - 04-07-2019

Hi All,

I am brand new here and have recently developed an interest in the mosquito helicopters but have no knowledge of the machines and all the processes that go along with buying and training etc.

Can someone please guide me as to whether a private pilot license is needed in order to buy and fly a mosquito helicopter?

Thanks,
Adeel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Mosquito Basics - grevis - 04-07-2019

What country will you be based?

Mosquito Basics - Adeel184 - 04-08-2019

For now I am based in the UAE and I am not sure if mosquito helicopters are even allowed here

RE: Mosquito Basics - Dick Campbell - 04-08-2019

Welcome to the forum, Adeel. Licensing and registration will depend on which country you intend to operate. Once you research that, you can decide which version Mosquito will work for you.

Please note that the Mosquito is a real helicopter in every sense of the word, and requires training as a helicopter pilot to be operated safely. There are no shortcuts there.

(04-08-2019, 07:46 AM)Dick Campbell Wrote: Welcome to the forum, Adeel. Licensing and registration will depend on which country you intend to operate. Once you research that, you can decide which version Mosquito will work for you.

Please note that the Mosquito is a real helicopter in every sense of the word, and requires training as a helicopter pilot to be operated safely. There are no shortcuts there.

Thank you Dick for your response. I am based in UAE and am enquiring about the possibilities of getting a private pilot license for helicopters. It will be highly appreciated if you can please guide me the which training course you would recommend as the one I have come across takes a year to complete and will cost around $15000 and I want to be 100% sure I do the right trainings. Thanks

Just to make a correction, the PPL(H) for EASA License program is for 10 weeks and it’s costing $19000.

RE: Mosquito Basics - grevis - 04-08-2019

As Dick said, you need to do a bit of homework about how the UAE controls aviation before you jump in too deep. Some countries have separate classes for light aircraft that can affect how the machines get registered, and what pilot licensing is required. For example, the USA has an ultralight class which is what the XEL model is designed to fit in to, and PPL is not required. I am in New Zealand and we have a microlight class (that all Mosquito models fit into) that has its own licensing system different to PPL's and completely separate from the main governing aviation body. Some countries may not allow Mosquito's at all, and only aircraft that are a certified design.
If you have trouble navigating information from your aviation body, maybe try talking to people operating very lightweight aircraft at airfields (especially if you see the small fabric winged open cockpit planes). They might be able to tell you if there are separate classes for light aircraft and give you an idea of what rules you need to look up.
Gary
XE285 in NZ

RE: Mosquito Basics - Dick Campbell - 04-09-2019

(04-08-2019, 04:03 PM)Adeel184 Wrote: Just to make a correction, the PPL(H) for EASA License program is for 10 weeks and it’s costing $19000.

That's about what it would cost in the US also, maybe a little less.