Mosquito Helicopter Forums
New Mosquito Owner - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: New Mosquito Owner (/showthread.php?tid=10277)

New Mosquito Owner - tylerbennett - 07-07-2019

Just picked up a new Mosquito for my wife and me both but I have no idea about it. Where can I take training, and what kind of safety need to take?
Thoughts, please?

RE: New Mosquito Owner - Dick Campbell - 07-07-2019

I recommend a minimum of 20 hours dual training in a R-22 or Enstrom. Where are you located?

RE: New Mosquito Owner - tylerbennett - 07-08-2019

Hey Dick, I'm from Blythewood, SC. Thanks for your great recommendation.

RE: New Mosquito Owner - tylerbennett - 07-09-2019

From where can I get the private pilot license? And what is the cost price for it?

RE: New Mosquito Owner - grevis - 07-09-2019

If the machine is an XEL you should find out about the ultralight category which may mean a private license may not be needed.
Gary
XE285 in NZ

RE: New Mosquito Owner - Dick Campbell - 07-09-2019

As Gary said, if it is an ultralight (Part 103 compliant), you will not require a license or a medical certificate to fly it.  If it is not an ultralight, you will need both of those.  A helicopter Private Pilot License (PPL) requires 40 hours of dual and solo training.  Expect to pay ~$300/hr for the helo trainer and ~$50/hr for the instructor.  $16,000 total is a good ballpark number.  You'll just need to google around to find a flight school in your area.

My original advice still stands.  Helicopters are not like riding bicycles.  If you do not get instruction, you will either likely die, or at best, wreck your machine.

RE: New Mosquito Owner - U-L- Copter - 07-09-2019

The three main things that a mosquito needs to fall into the Ultra-lite category are. 202 engine, floats, and horizontal stabilizer.
Then get the proper training and go flying. Other things that factor in are, can't fly at night, no fly over congested area, and to be totally legal 5 gallons of fuel. All mosquito XEs have a 12 gallon fuel tank. My way of thinking the SCHWEIZER  300 ( if you can find a place that trains with them)  is said to be close to the mosquito. I trained at Ormond Beach Fl, back in 2009. not sure if they still train with the Schweizer 300. Nothing against the Robby but I have been told by a few people that trained in them, that the cyclic configuration will make it more difficult when you try to fly the mosquito for the first time. 
 Unless you have deep pockets go suggest you go  Ultra-lite.
Just my thoughts, leo...

RE: New Mosquito Owner - tylerbennett - 07-10-2019

As Gary said, if it is an ultralight (Part 103 compliant), you will not require a license or a medical certificate to fly it.  If it is not an ultralight, you will need both of those.  A helicopter Private Pilot License (PPL) requires 40 hours of dual and solo training.  Expect to pay ~$300/hr for the helo trainer and ~$50/hr for the instructor.  $16,000 total is a good ballpark number.  You'll just need to google around to find a flight school in your area.

My original advice still stands.  Helicopters are not like riding bicycles.  If you do not get instruction, you will either likely die, or at best, wreck your machine.

Thanks, Dick, for your great response and think it helps me a lot. My confusion is now clear.