Mosquito Helicopter Forums
All hands occupied. - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: All hands occupied. (/showthread.php?tid=7217)

Pages: 1 2

All hands occupied. - jb92563 - 02-15-2017

Having not flown a Heli before but being a pilot, I am wondering how Heli Pilots accomplish other tasks like changing radio frequencies while both hands and feet are occupied with the controls?

Seems like you only have two thumbs at your disposal for other tasks, and hence all the extra buttons and controls on the stick.

Other tasks being things like changing radio frequencies, taking care of an itch, wiping a bee out of your face, adjusting sun visor, staying hydrated etc

I am wondering if there are radio channel up/down control stick switches, or voice controls?

I have read about collective and throttle friction locks so you can use your left hand for short tasks.

Is that a good option for the Mosquito?

Being a Quad/drone/electronics hobbyist as well I can't help but notice that the flight controllers available would make it possible to build an affordable, light weight, collective/throttle auto pilot.

Is that a feature of the governor that I have read about on the forum? It has an altitude hold setting and can control collective and throttle to maintain the set altitude?

RE: All hands occupied. - swashplate - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 03:24 PM)jb92563 Wrote: Having not flown a Heli before but being a pilot, I am wondering how Heli Pilots accomplish other tasks like changing radio frequencies while both hands and feet are occupied with the controls?

Seems like you only have two thumbs at your disposal for other tasks, and hence all the extra buttons and controls on the stick.

Other tasks being things like changing radio frequencies, taking care of an itch, wiping a bee out of your face, adjusting sun visor, staying hydrated etc

I am wondering if there are radio channel up/down control stick switches, or voice controls?  

I have read about collective and throttle friction locks so you can use your left hand for short tasks.

Is that a good option for the Mosquito?

Being a Quad/drone/electronics hobbyist as well I can't help but notice that the flight controllers available would make it possible to build an affordable, light weight, collective/throttle auto pilot.

Is that a feature of the governor that I have read about on the forum? It has an altitude hold setting and can control collective and throttle to maintain the set altitude?

All hands AND feet occupied.

As I understand, the governor is used primarily for keeping the throttle and rotor RPM close to equal.  As you raise and lower the collective lever, the governor closely adds and subtracts throttle as needed.  (Someone using a governor should chime in here)  The governor also has the engine start button on it.  I will be putting the governor on my XEL.

A couple of the frequencies are set up in the radio prior to flight.  On those helis that utilize a COMM radio, most pilots have a few switches on the cyclic stick that allow them to toggle back and forth between the two preset frequencies and then, in some cases, another switch for changing the frequencies.  For example, if you needed the AWOS, the tower, ground control, approach control and departure control, all of those frequencies can't be put in for just toggling so you have to be able to "change" frequencies also.  This other switch can allow you to move through the range of frequencies to pick the one you need.  Then there is the PTT button. 

I just don't know about voice commands.  Seems like it would be a bit noisy for voice.

Yes the collective/throttle can be friction locked allowing short, VERY short, use of that hand.

Having flown radio control helicopters I can say that the controls for the little ones are VERY similar to the big ones.  The biggest difference is the anti-torque controls.  The RC helis use the left stick, (left stick for Mode 2, opposite control sticks for Mode 1), whereas the big helis use the feet.  The other big difference is that the throttle and collective are mixed in the radio and not on separate controls.  This is why all RC helicopter with collective pitch need a minimum 5 channel radio.  Also there have been great advances in the world of computer controls in the RC world.  In the beginning there were fly-bars, now many RC helis are fly-barless but they need a computer to help control them.

Full size helicopters are a hand full.  Even the turbine helis, with the throttle at 100% all the time, still need constant input from the pilot with the collective and the anti-torque systems.

I hope this answered your questions....

Robert

RE: All hands occupied. - Chuck308 - 02-15-2017

when I need a free hand for the gps or radio I put my knees together to hold the stick and use my right hand.
but you need to make it quick

chuck

RE: All hands occupied. - jb92563 - 02-15-2017

Maybe folks aren't aware of what is going on in the Hobby "drone" world so perhaps I should explain.

In order to control the common "Quad Copters" which are unflyable without a flight control computer, the hobbyists and manufacturers have developed flight control computers with X degrees of control.

These controllers can manage yaw, roll, pitch, altitude utilizing accelerometers, Barometric/sonar/laser altitude control, electronic compass and even GPS for absolute horizontal position control all onboard for $50 -$150 and are 100% configurable and programmable if you want to share your settings or develop your own custom flight control physics.

It would be fairly easy to configure one as an autopilot for the collective/throttle and include an altitude hold that would be accurate to within 3 feet.

These units are fast and can make hundreds of corrections per second and have proven to be quite reliable.

You could probably even use the existing servos from one governor design I have read about here as a plug and play upgrade.

I just think it would be quite convenient to have 1 hand free from time to time when needed and to have an altitude hold is a nice added benefit/safety feature.

Of course you can add to the features if say you wanted to add yaw control so that the airframe is always pointed in the direction of travel or a heading lock etc but not looking to takeover all the fun stuff, just to free up a hand.

Also wondered if when you build the Mosquito whether you have a choice on which side the collective stick is on?
Might be nice to have the right hand free for shooting if you like hunting. This as also where the altitude hold would be handy.
See where I'm going with this!

RE: All hands occupied. - jb92563 - 02-16-2017

(02-15-2017, 08:21 PM)Chuck308 Wrote: when I need a free hand for the gps or radio I put my knees together to hold the stick and use my right hand.
but you need to make it quick

chuck

Done that in a regular airplane as well, so it makes sense.

That brings up the question of cyclic stick pressures in the Mosquito or heli's in general, are the pressures neutral where once the rotor disk reaches its new position there is little pressure required to keep it there or does it always want to return to its center?

Pardon my endless questions, I should just take a lesson so its all clear to me.

RE: All hands occupied. - Chuck308 - 02-16-2017

on the mosquito in flight if you let go of the cyclic you will slow down it fly's nose down,the th55 has a trim switch
and it helps. the mosquito in a hover you can remove your right hand if you have everything balanced, for a short time

chuck

RE: All hands occupied. - bryancobb - 02-16-2017

In the Army in the 80`s, we hovered a Huey OGE, with the stick between our knees and collective friction on.

We used both hands and 80% of our attention to look codes up in a CEOI book we wore around our neck, to call in encrypted artillery strikes. At the time we were doing this, we were in the "tactics" phase of flight school and most of us had a scant 60-70 hours in our logbooks.

In my Mini-500 I`m now flying...I can friction all controls and fly around at altitude at 70MPH maneuvering just by leaning.

RE: All hands occupied. - Dave R. - 02-17-2017

Forget the radio/transponder, the real problem is scratching/picking your nose. A helmet mounted nose scratcher, now that would be a useful invention. I can hold the cyclic between my knees for a very short period, but as was mentioned earlier, most changes can be made from the cyclic switches. You must remember that our Mosquitos are utilized for fun, not for transportation.
Dave

RE: All hands occupied. - FlyGuy - 02-17-2017

Come on Dave I am 18 miles from a great restaurant at FTG (class D airspace), under the DEN class B vail, and I have to be ready to listen to ATIS, approach, tower, atis, clearance delivery, ground, tower, departure, flight following, and then Byers traffic. But on the bright side, I am almost done with the automatic nose scratcher. 

Michael

RE: All hands occupied. - Chuck308 - 02-17-2017

Let me know when your done with the automatic nose scratcher, I think my nose only gets an itch when I'm flying

chuck