Mosquito Helicopter Forums
Fuel line - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: Fuel and Engine (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Fuel line (/showthread.php?tid=7439)

Fuel line - arrow123 - 04-19-2017

Hi
I had a quick flight today to my neighbours place and on landing, shutdown and discovered fuel pouring out of a split in the primer fuel line.  I cut the line, fitted a joiner and flew home.  Discovered another split further up the primer line and fuel pouring out the line.  Think I'll replace all the fuel lines now.
Is there a replacement period for the fuel lines?
This is just a "heads up" - keep an eye on the fuel lines.  Mine had darkened, which might be an indicator of deterioration??

RE: Fuel line - doug bryant - 04-19-2017

I replace fuel line annually.

RE: Fuel line - mosquito - 04-19-2017

Thanks for that Arrow (real name please?). Has your chopper been left in the sun for long periods? How long have you had the fuel lines? Do you have ethanol in the fuel? Need as much info as you can provide and then we may have to release a notification on this issue.

RE: Fuel line - arrow123 - 04-20-2017

(04-19-2017, 01:22 PM)doug bryant Wrote: I replace fuel line annually.

Thanks Doug

RE: Fuel line - arrow123 - 04-20-2017

[attachment=2538 Wrote:mosquito pid='29305' dateline='1492612067']Thanks for that Arrow (real name please?).  Has your chopper been left in the sun for long periods?  How long have you had the fuel lines?  Do you have ethanol in the fuel?  Need as much info as you can provide and then we may have to release a notification on this issue.

Hi Mike 
Its Peter Boocock - I have ZK-IXE (it was originally Blairs machine).  There is no Ethanol in the fuel - it is 91 Octane with Castrol TTS two stroke oil at 50:1.  The helicopter is stored in a shed (I also keep the blinds shut on the only window in the shed).  The main fuel lines appear to be OK so far with no real colour change that I have noticed.  The one that split is one of the small primer lines of approx 3/16" diameter maybe?? 

Can you tell me how the Primer is likely to come out of the housing?  Is it screwed in or some other method.  I tried to take it out tonight to get at the primer end of the primer lines and where it is mounted it is not possible to easily remove the old lines and fit the new ones.  I undid the two hex head screws on the primer bracket and that did nothing (looks like the bracket is glued in place?) so turned the hex head (about 1' head) and it has loosened the primer but it still wont come out.

The photo is of where I put a short section of new (yellow) fuel line in to check the availability of the hose.  The dark fuel line you can see is split at the joiner.  After the last flight the dark (original) primer line split approx 1" further along the original line. I put a cover over the joiner but half cut it away for the photo

RE: Fuel line - Dave R. - 04-20-2017

That doesn't look like fuel line, looks like aquarium tubing. Needs to go.
Dave.

RE: Fuel line - jimwitkowski - 04-20-2017

(04-19-2017, 09:33 AM)arrow123 Wrote: Hi
I had a quick flight today to my neighbours place and on landing, shutdown and discovered fuel pouring out of a split in the primer fuel line.  I cut the line, fitted a joiner and flew home.  Discovered another split further up the primer line and fuel pouring out the line.  Think I'll replace all the fuel lines now.
Is there a replacement period for the fuel lines?
This is just a "heads up" - keep an eye on the fuel lines.  Mine had darkened, which might be an indicator of deterioration??

It looks like it may be the original fuel line from the original build date, or just old fuel line.

RE: Fuel line - mosquito - 04-21-2017

(04-20-2017, 10:21 AM)Dave R. Wrote: That doesn't look like fuel line, looks like aquarium tubing.  Needs to go.
Dave.

That could certainly be the problem. The primer tubing supplied with the kit is the same as the fuel tubing. Someone has replaced it with non fuel compatible tubing.

RE: Fuel line - arrow123 - 04-21-2017

Thanks for your comments - I have done a little digging today and I was coming to the conclusion that it may not be fuel or UV stabilised tubing - my best guess is that you are correct - this most likely is not fuel line.  Don't know why someone would want to use something not rated correctly.  I will remove it from the system. 
I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

I am having trouble in getting the Primer out of its mount - can anyone tell me if it is screwed into the housing or if there is a nut underneath that needs unscrewing??  After taking the two top screw out and trying to undo the hex head under the plunger the whole primer is loose, but not coming out of the housing.