Mosquito Helicopter Forums
Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: Fuel and Engine (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 (/showthread.php?tid=8316)

Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - swashplate - 03-28-2018

Hello fellow skeeter lovers!  2 strokers in particular.

Back in my early days (the 70's) of 2 stroke dirt bikes, I would mix gas and oil in a can (yes a metal can), pour the mix in the fuel tank (a metal fuel tank) of the dirt bike and away I'd go.  If things had sat for days/weeks I would always shake the fuel can to remix the oil/gas before pouring it into the fuel tank.  I do the same for my chainsaw.  Likewise, if the tank didn't need fuel, or I didn't have new gas/oil to pour in, I would shake the motorcycle side-to-side to "slosh" the mix together in the tank.  As I think I understand what I believe I have read - Premium gas weighs in at about 6.2 lbs. per gallon.  2 stroke oil weighs in at about 6.12 lbs. per gallon making the oil a tad lighter.  This means that over time (not sure the duration) the two will separate as the oil floats to the top.  (my facts and figures may be off a little)

Alrighty then - I can shake the plastic jug I have for the Mosquito.  I will be operating an XEL with a  5 gallon limit of "onboard" fuel.  What's the best way to "slosh" the fuel in the machine?  Do I gently work the tail boom around a 'lil' bit to mix the fuel?  I guess another possible way would be to attach a paint mixer to an old style hand crank auger drill, stick in in the fuel fill opening and give it a spin.  Sorry guys, no electric drills with flashing motor sparks at the opening of the fuel tank.  I don't ever want to be come an NTSB statistic but I would REALLY hate to become a statistic and not even be flying!

So, what do you other 2 stroke fellers do to remix the fuel in the tank(s)?  Can you remix in the machine?

Thanks,
Robert

RE: Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - mosquito - 03-28-2018

I have never heard or seen evidence of fuel and oil separating in a tank before so have never even considered this. Even after sitting for a couple of weeks after adding oil in a jerry can the fuel is still red throughout from the addition of the legend oil. Oil is fully soluble in the fuel so I don't think you will ever see them re-separating after adding. Thoughts?

RE: Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - swashplate - 03-28-2018

You may be correct. My data goes back decades and the properties of the available fuels and oils may be different enough that there is no separation.
Thanks,
Robert

RE: Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - grevis - 03-28-2018

You could have a drain tap and put the fuel back into a sealed container for storage.

RE: Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - pilotarix - 03-29-2018

Hi,

in the late 70's early 80's I had my phase of extensive experience with 2 stroke engines and an fuel/oil  mix in the can, mostly 1:25. This stuff was poured in all sorts of vehicles and I can not remember that I ever shaken one of them to remix fuel and oil, even after a longer period of inactivity. I have also used such a mixture in radio controlled helicopters with 2 stroke engines. The "mix" was sitting in the garage all winter long and was then used in spring without being purposefully shaken before. No problems whatsoever. I remember that I have seen people shaking their fuel cans but I am not sure what the intention was, maybe just figuring out how many fuel is still in there.
Anyhow, this is only observational and not a sientific approach to the question. There maybe people out there knowing way more about fuel and having a more sientific answer to the problem. However, I would thinkg that the basic capabilites of fuel and oil and why the oil is soluble in fuel, have not really changed over the years.
As I said ... just my two - not very sientific - cents.

Thanks,
Chris

Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - heliav8r - 03-31-2018

I drain the fuel into a gas can at the end of each days flight so the fiberglass tank is not affected by the fuel
I don’t believe the oil separates from the fuel. Just be sure to use ethanol free fuel to avoid associated ethanol issues

Roy

RE: Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - pilotarix - 04-03-2018

(03-31-2018, 12:27 PM)heliav8r Wrote: ... so the fiberglass tank is not affected by the fuel ...
Is that a known Problem? I mean if you wouldn't do that will be the fiberglass tank really be affected or you are just cautious?

Mixing Oil and Gas for MZ202 - heliav8r - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 03:11 AM)pilotarix Wrote:
(03-31-2018, 12:27 PM)heliav8r Wrote: ... so the fiberglass tank is not affected by the fuel ...
Is that a known Problem? I mean if you wouldn't do that will be the fiberglass tank really be affected or you are just cautious?

It is a known problem if there is ethanol in the fuel. Even if you buy ethanol free gas, if you don’t test it for ethanol, it may well contain ethanol.

Roy