Mosquito Helicopter Forums
New Potential Mosquito Owner - Printable Version

+- Mosquito Helicopter Forums (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forum.mosquito-helicopter.info/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: New Potential Mosquito Owner (/showthread.php?tid=9216)

Pages: 1 2

New Potential Mosquito Owner - Timberwolf - 06-27-2018

Hey everyone, thought I'd introduce myself as I try to gather more information to make a decision on possible Mosquito ownership. I'm an Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineer and A&P living the FL panhandle. I've had a few airplanes and currently own a RV-6 and Murphy Rebel bush plane. I have no helo experience, yet, but that will soon be changing. My job takes me out of country for half of the year, so some of the longer build times don't really appeal to me on helo's of the same class. I've been watching the mosquito and have seen the price steadily increase from when they were newly on the market to where we are today and in to August 1 with the next price hike. Though price isn't everything, it is a big consideration as I will have to sell or trade my Rebel for a helo. My primary pick right now is the XE285, though I wouldn't rule out the XET if I were to find someone willing to trade for the Rebel. With EFI on the 285 and the reserve power, I don't necc need the turbine whine and fuel burn associated. Plus, the added cost of acquiring it initially and picking up any parts required in the future. For anyone flying the XE285 I would love to hear any reviews you have one way or the other with the engine and EFI. I've searched but can't find much in the way of MX or what is required every XX hours for preventative mx. I wish the POH was published online as I feel this could help alleviate some of my questions and concerns. I've had 2 engine outs flying behind a cayuna 430 in a CGS hawk, but believe EFI to be a game changer in the 2 stroke arena. Thus, my renewed confidence in these engines.

I'm out of country now, but will be flying over to visit the Trenton factory as soon as I return home next month. I've really enjoyed owning my planes, but for now the RV is able to do 95% of my flying requirements. I'd rather move the plane on to someone else who will fly it and enjoy it as much as I have. Anyways, just wanted to say hey and hopeful that I'm soon a mosquito owner myself contributing to the discussions.

-Shane

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - Dick Campbell - 06-27-2018

I have just started my XE285 build at the factory. I am also an Aero Engineer and dual rated. I am impressed with the quality of the kit so far, plus the C FX guys are extremely friendly, helpful, etc. I did not opt for the XET for cost considerations, range, and the engines are getting hard to find. You'll notice that the 285 specs are very similar to the XET.

Hopefully Fly Guy (Michael) will check in and tell you about his engine experience with his XE285. I've built most of my subassemblies, but have not started on the engine yet, so my experience there is limited. I will be heading back down in a few weeks to start up again and stay for several weeks. I'll PM you my contact info, and let you know when I will be at the factory, and will be happy to answer any questions I can. But, Dwight and the guys will welcome you anytime.

Dick

Forgot to add: Once you put down a deposit, you can get access to the build manual and POH online. It is considered proprietary, and yes, it does prescribe maintenance requirements, etc. They are similar to what you would find on an R22 from what I've read.

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - swashplate - 06-27-2018

Hi Timberwolf.

I have just started my Phase 1 flight testing of my RV-9.  This has opened the door for me, (wife's orders) to begin construction of my XEL.  I went with the XEL because it was what I wanted to build to begin with, AND, the price and time were right for me to buy.

Good luck with your decision.  I will agree with Dick on the XET.  Great machine and sounds awesome but if you are wanting any kinda legs, the XET will fall a little short.

Robert

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - FlyGuy - 06-28-2018

Shane,

To me the 285 is a great little machine. As far as the engine the hardest thing I had to deal with is dialing in the fuel map, other than that I have not had any issues. The 800 engine has plenty of power to the point if the RPMs drop you just think them back up. The throttle is sensitive but is pretty easy to keep in operating range. Mine seem to like running at about 102%.

I like the redundancy of the fuel pumps. On runs the battery (allowing you to start the engine) and the other one runs off the alternator ( if you loose battery power the engine keeps running).

Maintenance is not really a big deal. Every 5 to 10 hrs. you are doing something (changing fuel filters, oil levels, greasing something)  and if you always do a thorough pre and post flight you will be ahead of the game. I think is states to grease the tail rotor shaft every 5 hrs. but sometimes during preflight if it looks too dry I will wipe it down and re-apply fresh grease.

I like that it performs just as well as the XET but without the 20K+ cost of the turbine engine and fuel consumption. (And I know how to work on a two-stroke engine).

Have Fun,

Michael

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - Timberwolf - 06-28-2018

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone and is in line with my thoughts. I would prefer the 285, but if a good used XET came along, I wouldn't rule it out. On the talk of fuel maps, I know most people are using the module to see certain aspects, but what all information is that providing? Are you able to map fuel and oil independently? Does it come from a basic excel spreadsheet or are you guys mapping differently by adjusting a predefined curve and modifying it to the data gathered on the power commander? Daily maintenance is not a big concern and I'm already tracking on the 500hr overhaul. Does that $5K price apply to the 285 as well or just to the 202?

As an aside, I would love to hear why people chose the mosquito over the helicycle. I've seen a helicycle up close as a friends father built and flew one. Fuel burn aside, I've seen a few more areas of concern. Not a fan of the small V drive belts being the limiting factor to govern transmission torque. I believe this got the new owner of the aforementioned helo into a bind and he had a hard landing as a result. Of course proper power management leading up to it would have helped, but still an area of concern. The other issue I've seen is a few guys saying they had severe vibrations at cruise that severely shook their faith in the machine. Lastly, it's never good when the designer dies at the hand of their own creation for an unknown reason. (I've seen it said both as mechanical or possible health issues)

Last thing I'm trying to get a feel for is hours required for most guys to solo an R-22 or Bell 47 before they move into their own beast. I've seen 10 hours thrown out where other guys have bashed me saying at least 20+ hours and even that is a death wish. I have 3000+ hours mostly in taildraggers and HP/Complex aircraft, but no time in helo's. Though I'm a quick learner and have been trying read all I can on dangers and gotchas of rotary wing flying. That way if I understand the concepts and how to stay out of trouble then I can focus primarily on the monkey skills ("how") and not the "why."

Appreciate any guidance and I'll continue to ask questions as they pop up!

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - Dick Campbell - 06-28-2018

SFAR 73 requires 20 hours to solo in the R22, regardless of how good you are. The only helos (+R44) with their own FAR. If you get your helo add-on from a Part 141 school, you can legally do it in as little as 30 hours. You will need a license to fly the Mosquito if you do not get the ultra-light XEL.

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - Timberwolf - 06-28-2018

ahh yes. I do recall that with the robbies...I just meant a ballpark until most people are comfortable going alone. As for the license thing I understand I can fly an E-AB under my fixed wing PPL...correct?

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - FlyGuy - 06-29-2018

Shane,

Yes I use an AutoTune and Pod-300 module with my 285. I set up the Pod to display air/fuel ratio, coolant temp., throttle position, and engine rpm. Oil s metered by the engine itself. You can check out vids on YouTube about these modules. As far as the 500 hr. maintenance, I have not got there (only 92 hrs.) but by then you are replacing blades and other major components.

I don't know much about the Helicycle. It has a turbine and I can't work on them!

And lastly about how many hours does it take? It is hard to say. You can have all the hours in the world in a fixed-wing aircraft, this is a helicopter! I know guys that could hover after 4 hrs. and others that were still having issues after 10. There is no set number! I was like you to a point and wanted to know everything so I knew everything when I started flying, it isn't going to happen. It sounds like you are doing a great job preparing and that is what it is all about. Download the "Helicopter Flying Handbook" from the FAA site and go through it. There is a ton of good information!

Michael

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - Jay - 06-29-2018

Hi friends I am new here, I like mosquito helicopter and ultra light plane. I want to make mosquito helicopter but I have not engine and ideas for it and how to make it. Is there any one to help me and give me good guidance for make this great project

RE: New Potential Mosquito Owner - Dick Campbell - 06-29-2018

Shane - category and class. You must have a rotorcraft license to be PIC.

Hi Jay, I recommend you start a new thread to ask your questions.