Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Looking for some Mosquito acquisition advice
Hello everyone my name is Casey, I'm coming out of the shadows of stalking these forums today because I need some advice on how to become a Mosquito owner. 

Now of course, the typical process involves ordering a lovely little kit and putting it together in a garage or hangar. Unfortunately, as much as I want to actually own my own helicopter, my fabrication skills are rather lacking, and although I realize there are plenty of avenues to acquire help in the building of a kit, i am much too pensive about the assembly process by myself. Which leads to the conundrum... 

My dream would be to own an XE285, after the aforementioned fear of doing my own assembly, my main option would obviously be the factory assistance program. However, there is not much information available regarding specifics of this. I work quite a bit, and I'm sure with plenty of notice I might could swing getting a month off to go to the factory and participate in the program, but my question is: would this be enough time to complete the assembly? Or are you still facing down 300+ hours in the assembly process? 

Another option would be purchasing a used 285. Obviously this option has the benefit of not requiring all the hours for assembly, but carries the risk of how well others conducted the assembly, no doubt requiring a trip to the factory for a professional to go through the aircraft for my ease of mind. Also there lies the problem of conducting maintenance and annuals on the aircraft as well, there is a local gyrocopter club in my area and I've spoken to some of the members and I'm sure I can find someone to help with that problem. 

And then the other day i made a startling discovey that the Mosquito XEL is actually rated to carry a 240lb pilot. I, myself, weighing in between 230-235lbs never really considered this option before because for whatever reason I thought that particular aircraft was locked away due to a 220lbs pilot weight limit much like the R22 and Helicycle. The XEL being able to be 100% factory built is very tempting to me, although only 5 gal of fuel is quite a big turn off as well... But for the peace of mind knowing that the aircraft was assembled by the experts i could probably deal with this negative. 

So what I'm hoping is that someone could give me some advice on which option they think would be best for me, or which option they would pick, or heck maybe even point out something I'm failing to consider, any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Hope you all have an awesome day!

Messages In This Thread
Looking for some Mosquito acquisition advice - Casey - 06-14-2018, 06:12 PM