Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Plane 9 - Mosquito Air Model
Hi all,

While I'm waiting for my bank account to increase enough to buy a Mosquito helicopter,  I've been playing around with X-Plane and decided to try my hand at building a helicopter.  My first endeavor was the Air.  I have completed most of the design work and have a working model.  I took the dimensions given on the website and also tried to use the many photos available to scale everything as close as I could. BTW, I do not have a rotary wing certificate so if anything I'm asking is way off base, please feel free to correct me.

(Click the photo to enlarge)

Now I am trying to get it to handle similarly to the many youtube videos out there.  One problem I seem to have is that auto rotations are causing the disk RPM to go up to 120%.  I have the sim set to near gross weight (510 lbs) and am using the NACA 0009 airfoil for the main rotor and tail rotor. 

If I can get a little more info gathered, I can try to dial the performance in.  Here's what I'm looking for:

Can anyone tell me what airfoil the main rotor uses and the chord length?
What are the minimum and maximum collective pitch angles? 
What is a typical rate of decent for an autorotation from 500 ft and forward speed of 50mph?

If anyone is using x-plane 9 and would like to try it out, let me know and I can forward the files.  I will eventually make it available for free.  I may try the XE model next if there is any interest.

Thanks!

Daryl
Nice job!! The chord is 7 in. Min collective on Air is 0 degrees. Don't know the rest.

I like the lettering on the tail boom. I think I'll add that touch to mine.
Thank you Doug!
(05-16-2016, 09:29 PM)Daryl Wrote: Hi all,

While I'm waiting for my bank account to increase enough to buy a Mosquito helicopter,  I've been playing around with X-Plane and decided to try my hand at building a helicopter.  My first endeavor was the Air.  I have completed most of the design work and have a working model.  I took the dimensions given on the website and also tried to use the many photos available to scale everything as close as I could. BTW, I do not have a rotary wing certificate so if anything I'm asking is way off base, please feel free to correct me.

(Click the photo to enlarge)

Now I am trying to get it to handle similarly to the many youtube videos out there.  One problem I seem to have is that auto rotations are causing the disk RPM to go up to 120%.  I have the sim set to near gross weight (510 lbs) and am using the NACA 0009 airfoil for the main rotor and tail rotor. 

If I can get a little more info gathered, I can try to dial the performance in.  Here's what I'm looking for:

Can anyone tell me what airfoil the main rotor uses and the chord length?
What are the minimum and maximum collective pitch angles? 
What is a typical rate of decent for an autorotation from 500 ft and forward speed of 50mph?

If anyone is using x-plane 9 and would like to try it out, let me know and I can forward the files.  I will eventually make it available for free.  I may try the XE model next if there is any interest.

Thanks!

Daryl

That model looks great, well done. I do not have X-Plane 9 yet but if I can't find any other game I might buy it soon, could I have the model file(s) please?
I'd be happy to share what I have with anyone who wants it.  I'm still not sure the performance is accurate - I'm getting way better climb rates than 900 fpm and I think I have too much rotor inertia - even with the blade mass ratio set to 8% (of solid aluminum) and zero tip weights.

Still, I'm having fun playing with it.  I need to get a better joystick  - one that does not have spring centering, and pedals would be really great.

I'm away right now... give me a few days to get the files "packaged" and I'll post a download link here.  If you come across the mosquito XE model that was available a few years back, please let me know.

thanks!
Daryl
(06-21-2016, 05:32 AM)Daryl Wrote: I'd be happy to share what I have with anyone who wants it.  I'm still not sure the performance is accurate - I'm getting way better climb rates than 900 fpm and I think I have too much rotor inertia - even with the blade mass ratio set to 8% (of solid aluminum) and zero tip weights.

Still, I'm having fun playing with it.  I need to get a better joystick  - one that does not have spring centering, and pedals would be really great.

I'm away right now... give me a few days to get the files "packaged" and I'll post a download link here.  If you come across the mosquito XE model that was available a few years back, please let me know.

thanks!
Daryl

Thanks for the quick reply and sharing your plane - I can wait a few days, no problem. Sure, will let you know if I find any XE models.
I'd like to give your X-Planes Mosquito Air a try.

Will wait for the link.

I have not seen a Mosquito modeled anywhere except in the Combat SIM Game ARMA where you can actually fly an "Air", but the model is basic and in no way behaves like a proper copter.

I think its put in the game as a death trap as anyone embarking in it rarely makes it more than a few hundred feet before losing complete control and crashing, and there's also the other combatants shooting at you while you struggle to control it.
Ray
I have put the Mosquito Air for X-Plane 9 into a zip file and it can be downloaded from this link:

http://www.rictor.org/Air

Please PM me if you have any problems or questions.

Enjoy!

Daryl
(06-22-2016, 12:50 AM)Daryl Wrote: I have put the Mosquito Air for X-Plane 9 into a zip file and it can be downloaded from this link:

http://www.rictor.org/Air

Please PM me if you have any problems or questions.

Enjoy!

Daryl

Thank you Daryl! Repped for the great share!
For those who have tried the Mosquito Air model, can you give me any feedback or suggestions to improve the accuracy of the model?

Thanks!

Daryl