Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GI Joe's Kit XE 1092
Also - can someone please send me a photo of the different bolts, measurements, ect - I have no idea what bolts go to where...???

yes - I'm clueless!

thanks,

joe
Joe,

Sounds like you're missing some of the manual. I'll send again. Are you using Word? Works will append the manual.

I have the manual - maybe I'll read it again and see what I need -- I printed off the drawing as well in the full 11 x 14 format - so - I'll look on there as well...there's a lot of guessing where things go and what to use on these parts - since it came in a bag - understanding that this is the "first" I have ever done something like this before...photo's would be great....
Hi Gi Joe!
This point is critical, from my point of view:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Above were estimates: So Far this is what I have invested in the XE Kit.

$ 29,000 -Kit with proof of 10 hrs of flight training
$ 800 - Crating & Insurance on main fuselage/body (labor, wood, assembly of the two crates that will hold the main fuselage and tail)

Options:

$250 (vert stab wing)
$125 (ceramic pistons)
$150 (seat cover)
$250 (wheels kit)
$275 (quick build fab parts)
Total: $1,050

Shipping on Five main components

1. Completion kit...John Uptigrove...Calgary, Canada...Shipping cost: $71.10(Madison, IN)
2. Engine...Compact Radial Engines...Vancouver, Canada....Shipping cost: $____(Madison, IN)
3. Fuselage...Dwight Junkin (Factory)...Trenton, FL...Shipping cost: $459.78 - They paid it then I paid Dwight - saved me 70%.
4. Main Rotor blades...Rotor Flight Dynamics..........Tampa, FL......Shipping cost: $____
5. Quick build kit...Doug Bryant...Kansas...Shipping cost: mailed through postal system
6. Tail Rotor Bladest...Doug Bryant...Kansas...Shipping cost: $_____

Estimated Shipping Costs: $530 +/-

Estimated Total: $31,380 for kit with all parts/components shipped to location so far.

I spent around $500+ for tools, Wicks aircraft Supply for extra bolts, washers, nuts, clecos & pliers.

With Dwight shipping the way he does - saves that amount for the builder to purchase extras - which is great.

I am also working on a color and grayscale manual w/ photos of each step and will send it out in CD format because it keeps getting bigger and bigger each time I do something...
...since there is no clear photos or instructions on exactly where to put these - I followed what was in the manual and drilled - bolted and riveted as such.

Maybe it is critical - but that's the world of home built ...as I was told! It seems to be just fine - since I used wide area washers -
Hey GI, what happened to your project? I know you didn't give it up you seem to h ave more spirit than that. Called into duty? Mad at the manual?
When I built my AIR, I was emailing either John or Doug at least 3 times a week, asking about this and that. They never did get tired of it (well, let's say that they never acted like they were tired of it Wink
I think my build took 48+ months of evenings, and some weekends, but I enjoyed the building. You're sure right about one thing, a manual with photos would make the entire process much easier.
I spend a heck of a lot of time in the Mosquito Builders Gallery. Almost every part of the AIR is there somewhere. For the XE, you can pull up Eddy's gallery, it has like a billiion photos and good explanations.
If on the other hand you decide to give it up, just bring it to me and I'll be happy to take it off your hands. Can't give you any money for it, but I can get it out of your way and that's worth thousands Smile
Seriously though, fill us in on what's happening with your build, and please don't stop!

Have you tested that manual with Open Office as opposed to "M$ Word"? Open Office is available, "free" for those using either Micro#soft or Linux and for what it may be worth, there is an ever increasing number of us using Linux.

tyc
UPDATED: AUG 2010

I have taken my XE down to Trenton FL in order for the Junkin Brothers to aid me in my completed XE. I'm big on safety - and with the type of work I do - I have no time (then again who does). At any rate, I really suggest that if you are a new buyer - get up with Dwight and Gary - go visit the factory in Trenton (beautiful area) and talk it over. I wished I had done this at the beginning.

John Uptigrove, Dwight and Gary Junkin have done the Helicopter community a favor by bring the XE online - it just cannot be beat in price, function, adaptability, and safety. Even as other kits are evolving and the XE is about to see a 2-seat version - the XE is going to be standard worldwide in its class. I know from the work I do - helicopters are the main platform to get things done. There's not going to be any lack of services in the helicopter world from what I've seen and have been reading. So having an XE in the hanger is a plus!

Stand by - as I get certain things done - I'll be updating my Build Manuals - and getting everything organized to post.
I have also downloaded every photo of Mike Mussex's build for those of you in low bandwidth areas - so if you need a CD/DVD - I'll send you one...no cost - but only if you need it. I don't mind doing that.

* Open Office is a great alternative to Microsoft - I've used both - and Open Office is more stable since it is built using Linux/Unix.

Good day blokes!

Joe
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XE Kit.

$ 29,000 -Kit with proof of 10 hrs of flight training
$ 800 - Crating & Insurance on main fuselage/body (labor, wood, assembly of the two crates that will hold the main fuselage and tail)

Options:

$250 (vert stab wing)
$125 (ceramic pistons)
$150 (seat cover)
$250 (wheels kit)
$275 (quick build fab parts)
Total: $1,050

Shipping on Five main components

1. Completion kit...John Uptigrove...Calgary, Canada...Shipping cost: $71.10(Madison, IN)
2. Engine...Compact Radial Engines...Vancouver, Canada....Shipping cost: $____(Madison, IN)
3. Fuselage...Dwight Junkin (Factory)...Trenton, FL...Shipping cost: $459.78 - They paid it then I paid Dwight - saved me 70%.
4. Main Rotor blades...Rotor Flight Dynamics..........Tampa, FL......Shipping cost: $72 (approx)
5. Quick build kit...Doug Bryant...Kansas...Shipping cost: mailed through postal system
6. Tail Rotor Blades...Doug Bryant...Kansas...Shipping cost: $0.00 (Thanks Doug)

Estimated Shipping Costs: $530 +/-

Estimated Total: $31,380 for kit with all parts/components shipped to location so far.

I spent around $500+ for tools, Wicks aircraft Supply for extra bolts, washers, nuts, clecos & pliers.

With Dwight shipping the way he does - saves that amount for the builder to purchase extras - which is great.

I am also working on a color and gray-scale manual w/ photos of each step and will send it out in CD format because it keeps getting bigger and bigger each time I do something...
If you are a builder - I have on my hard drive a copy of the newest BUILD MANUAL that Dwight put together and the one that is currently in use at the factory. I will also be working on completing the one that uses the original manual sent out by Uptigrove with photo's and notes included that will stay with my Helicopter (Crazy Horse). Although it is tempting to build this craft by yourself - I HIGHLY recommend that a owner/builder safe time and money and stay in FL for about 2-3 weeks and use the Builder's Assist program at Dwight's factory. I did and I'm so glad I went there and used his tools and set up to get my helo completed. He has a full time staff and everything right there to get it done. It's worth the extra cost and time - and the finished product is and will be SAFE!

So - if you need photo's, build manuals, etc...send me your address and I'll burn everything on a CD/DVD for you so you'll have it and get a better picture of what the XE is all about. Once you complete each of the components - you'll see that this craft is simple to maintain - but everything has to be "spot on" when measuring and cutting - no errors. Which - again - I say keep it at the factory and enjoy Trenton for a few weeks! The whooe bunch done there are a great group of guys!

Joe

JHWMP01@gmail.com