Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 stroke
is there any more news on the testing of the four stroke?
how does it compare in performance to the mz 202
John,
I also have a question:
Is it a relatively easy change out from the MZ202?
At this stage we are still trying to determine the best way to go when it comes to four strokes. We have tried one out for a while but are now considering another option which seems to have some better features. So it's still in the works and hopefully we'll have something in the near future. We'll definitely let you know! We'll do our best to make it retrofitable to existing airframes but can't make any guarantees yet.
The Jabiru 2200 seems to be extremely light at 136 lbs total installation weight, producing 85hp. Would it be a possible candidate for the Mosquito?
Jabiru 2200 = $13,500 list price. Whew, might as well get the turbine.
Considering the T62 cost you around $10k, plus $5-7k more for the kit for the custom turbine mods, double the fuel burn - the Jabiru seems a good investment to me.
MGL - 8/8/2010 2:29 PM

Considering the T62 cost you around $10k, plus $5-7k more for the kit for the custom turbine mods, double the fuel burn - the Jabiru seems a good investment to me.

Er no. Not a good investment. Hate to say this about an Australian built engine, but there are serious reliability considerations.
I have some experience gained while instructing in Jabiru ultralight aeroplanes. No; have not yet an "engine out", but plenty of my fellow fliers have.
You will not see many Australian Jabiru pilots flying over water or "jungly bits!"
Rob
You know Rob, anecdotal stories are always interesting. Unfortunately they do not provide a good basis for comparing reliability of anything. Some people say Rotax 503's are the most reliable 2 stroke ever built. Doug Byant used to be in that camp. Maybe still is, but not when the 503 is run vertically.

Until we have good statistics comparing reliability in comparable environments, everyone knows helicopters load engines entirely differently than fixed wings or kites, statements regarding reliability of a particular engine are, at best, hearsay. Look at Hirth, nice in fixed wing, apparently junk in Mini-500s.

Another major consideration is operational time. 10 engines, each running 2,000 hours, is a whole lot different than 100 engines, each running 200 hours. The numbers sound the same the total numbers of failures divided by 20,000, but they are really dramatically different for predicting reliability, even if the application environments are identical.

As far as using the country of origin as a predictor, I'd seriously question that one.

Tom
If I'm not mistaken, I think John U. has already researched the Jabiru engine and has determined (for whatever reasons) it would not be a good fit for the mosquito.
We've been looking for a good 4 stroke for a long time. I've checked out most of the known engines out there. Finding an engine with all the right specs, dimensions, dry sump etc to enable it to fit and work in this application is a difficult endeavor. We are working on our current model and will be for a while yet but I'm certainly open to anything new on the market that we may not yet be aware of. So if you know of something that we may possibly have not come across yet please feel free to post or email me.