Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mosquito xe with n-registration
hello all,
is it possible to order a mosquito xe factory built and registered with an n-registration when i pick it up. im planning to import it to sweden and keep it registered in the states. i know i can buy a aircraft from US and keep under n-registration. this is to keep away from all the red-tape asosiated with a swedish registration.

thx Mike
I'm pretty sure you can do that Mike. There are still some hoops to jump through though. You'll need to request an N number before the machine is built. You will have to be at the factory and participate in the building (51% rule) and undergo two, or perhaps more, inspections during the build process in order to get the airworthiness certificate allowing you to actually paint the N number on the finished machine.

You should consult the FARs regarding the building of experimental aircraft in order to be sure everything I've said here is correct.

Tom

thx for a fast reply.
i would love to participate in the build process, but i dont know if i have the time to do it, looks like its a good 500hrs of building.
also is the factory finished mosquitos only available to americans?
maybe its easier to find a used one already registered?
im not a helicopter pilot yet i do have a JAA ATPL fixedwing also a FAA CPL, Multi IR
but im planing to add a rotorcraft rating to my FAA licance.

THX Mike
Mike,
You should call Dwight over at the factory and talk to him about all the ends and outs of what it would take to do what you want to do.

The attached FAR Advisory Circular 20-27D Certification & Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft covers what is required to acquire an "N" number and Airworthiness Certificate for an "Experimental" Mosquito helicopter.

There are many people who can advise you on the requirements. Nevertheless, the FAA is the final authority. Unfortunately interpretation of the FARs is pretty much up to the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and interpretations are well known to vary from office to office. So after you have read the regs you should still contact the local FSDO and discuss your project with the inspector who will be assigned to your project.

There is an old saying, that until the paperwork outweighs the aircraft you will not have satisfied the FAA's requirements. Go forth and conquer.  

Attached Files
.pdf   ac20-27d.pdf (Size: 35.37 KB / Downloads: 4)
BY THE RULES YOU CAN HAVE SOMEONE ELSE BUILD THE ENTIRE AIRCRAFT FOR YOU. HE CAN GET THE N-NUMBER AND THE AIRWORTHY CERTIFICATE. LATER HE CAN SELL YOU THE AIRCRAFT AND THE AIRWORTHY CERTIFICATE WILL COME WITH THE AIRCRAFT. NOW SINCE YOU DID NOT BUILD THE AIRCRAFT 51%, YOU MUST HAVE AN A & P DO THE ANNUAL FOR YOU EACH YEAR. ALL THIS IS LEGAL AS LONG AS THE PERSON BUILDING THE AIRCRAFT IS WILLING TO SELL IT TO YOU WITH AN N NUMBER AND AIRWORTHY CERTIFICATE. TRANSFERING N NUMBER TO ANOTHER PERSON AFTER A SALE OF AN AIRCRAFT IS THE EASIEST FAA PAPER WORK, JUST ONE FORM. NOW, HOPEFULLY YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE THAT WILL BUILD AND SELL YOU THE EXPERIMENTAL WITH THE N NUMBER AND YOU FINDING AN A & P AT MINIMUM TO DO YOUR ANNUAL FOR YOU AFTER ONE YEAR. IF THE EXPERIMENTAL HAS A FRESH ANNUAL YOU WILL HAVE ONE YEAR TO FIND AN A & P THAT IS WILLING TO DO YOUR FIRST AND FOLLOW-UP ANNUAL INSPECTIONS. AT MINIMU YOU NEED AN A & P AND NOT AN AI THAT IS NEEDED FOR CERTIFIED AIRCRAFT AS APPOSED TO EXPERIMENTAL. NOW, I MAY BE WRONG BUT THE EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION MAY OFFER A 16 HOUR COURSE FOR YOUR PARTICULAR EXPERIMENTAL IN THIS CASE HELICOPTER THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO YOUR OWN ANNUAL EVERYYEAR AFTER THE COURSE.
I know this thread is kind of old but I recently was looking for that answer myself and when I saw the comment about the 16hr course which allows to do our own maintenance on an experimental aircraft I wanted to correct this statement.
That course, from all the Internet researches I made, only allows you to do the Annual Inspection on a E-LSA category aircraft.

Mosquito helicopters and rotorcrafts in general can not apply for the LSA category which is only for fixed wings, so even less for a E-LSA category (which is the factory built kit version of a certified LSA)

Go for the 51% built rule and you'll be able to get your own A&P certificate for that specific machine. Otherwise you will need a A&P mechanic to perform your annual inspection (but you can do the maintenance yourself as its in the experimental category and not a certified aircraft)

Cheers!

(source in case you need: http://www.rainbowaviation.com/16_hr_...