Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 stroke oil
Am also interested in the SPORT PLUS 2 if anyone out there has any info. I hate to switch from something that seems to be working so well but the whole Marine thing makes sense. I havn't had any luck finding it either. :o
Don’t get hung up on this oil thing. First thing the statement that marine engines run cooler is only half true. As far as the CHT’s and external block heat goes marine engines do run cooler because they have an infinite amount of coolant (water) that is some 600 times denser than air that we are using. That is where it stops. In all engines (especially two strokes) internal combustion temperature have to be maintained with in a certain temperature range. To cold of combustion temps (to rich) and you get carbon build up which test have shown as the number one cause of cylinder scoring in two strokes. To hot of combustion temps (to lean) and you overheat the piston or cylinder and seize the piston or burn a hole in the piston. When you buy an outboard engine, weed eater or a chain saw etc the jets are set by the manufacture for a number of reasons. One they typically don’t go to a wide range of air density changes between uses so when it comes to jetting one size fits all. However, we are in an entirely different scenario. We are going to and through many different air densities so the jets you need may be totally different from someone a couple hundred miles or less away from you with a different air density. So the first thing you must understand is wherever you live I can pretty much guarantee the stock jets you received in your engine will not be correct for your area. Most if not all the main jets will be to rich and the mid range jets will be to lean. Because we need to jet these engines to get the proper internal combustion temps we can use a wide variety of quality two stroke oils. I would also recommend not deviating to far from the recommended 50/1 oil mixture the engine was designed to run on. The rich oil mixture drops the horse power output and combustion temps because the more volatile fuel (gasoline) has been replaced with oil that the engine can’t burn all the excess oil. Also by adding more oil you increase the mixture density and put higher stress loads on the piston rods and crank, loads they were not designed to take. Bottom line you don’t need to replace your high quality two stroke oil with a specific use oil it is much more important to make sure your jetting is correct and your mixture ratios are correct.
John U was using Amsoil Intercepter for a while. Don't know if he still is or not.
Anyway, I figured that if it was good enough for John, then it's sure good enough for Rob. I believe he was using it at 40:1. Some think that's to much, and others think that 50:1 is to little, so I think I'll try 45:1, can't go wrong there, right? Hello?
Rob
I bought a case of 12 - 1 qt (32 oz) bottles of AeroShell Sport Plus 2 oil from oil-store.com in PA.

The oil was $74.25, shipping was $16.47 to FL for a total of $90.72.
It took about three days to get here.

That works out to $7.56 a bottle.

Just curious, how much others are paying for your oil?
I guess I want to know how much of a premium I'm paying for the official "Aeroshell" oil, especially since Dwight doesn't think it's really necessary.

Also, if anyone finds a better deal on the Aeroshell, please share your find.

One more thing, I bought a special bottle that makes measuring and mixing oil easier and less error prone.
It's a SeaChoice model 21000, I bought it from Amazon and I thought others who don't already know about them might be interested as well.

Photos...maybe...I'll try again with a smaller image.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Say now, I like that bottle a lot. The one I've been using is a plastic funnel shaped
afair with a snap over lid. It shows where to pour the oil to, based on the ratio, and the gallons. Bad thing is that the gallons are only 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 (I think, it's not right here in front of me) whereas, the above bottle has a lot of differient gallon choices. I'ma gonna get me one of dem thangs!
Rob
Hi All

If anyone is interested in CASTROL POWER RS TTS oil. Dennis Kirk has It in there 2010 Off- Road/ATV catalog page 1027 .5 liter is $13.50 and 4 liter sells for $47.99. They are located in Rush City,Minnesota, the catalogs are free by calling 800- 969-7601 USA only. International catalogs are $9.00 US, or free with order. Also any order $100.00 or more has free shipping.

Later... Leo
I found Red Line Racing oil, $60 /gallon.
It's at cyclegear.com
I couldn't find more TTS anywhere and am almost out. I also bought a case of Amsoil Dominator "racing" oil, ... seems the word "racing" adds cost to the oil - could it actually be better? Or just cost more?
Wish I remembered to look for the (AeroShell Plus 2) - sure sounds good. How much is is? Is it "racing" oil? Are there any other oil suggestions? - I always thought oil is oil and would have mixed old used 30 weight from my Chevy, but now I'm older and not so sure, so want to use the best and I'm all ears! Talk to me.
I bought a case of 12 - 1 qt (32 oz) bottles of AeroShell Sport Plus 2 oil from oil-store.com in PA.

The oil was $74.25, shipping was $16.47 to FL for a total of $90.72.
It took about three days to get here.

That works out to $7.56 a bottle.
Larry,

By the way, hadn't seen you on the forum for a while, good to hear from you.