Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experimental heli crash
Hi My name is Joe,
I have been watching the site for awhile because you use the MZ202 engine and that I now own. I plan on putting it in an avidflyer airplane.
I am a member of EAA 279 in Halifax,Ma. where Bruce flew out of. He was there Sunday and had a good crowd of people looking at the Mosquito
What that I have witnessed that Bruce does.
1. He does a complete equipment check before each flight.
2. He would warm the craft up until engine was completely warmed up
3 He would would fly about 8-10ft above the ground checking his flight controls and response of them before he would even take off to higher levels.
4 He told me he had over 500 hr in helicopter time and infact when I was talking to him about what autorotation is
He responded to me "thats what we train for" a couple days earlier in the week.

I witness reports : He went into to a very step climb and almost did a flip before spiraling down
An other member said he heard couple of banging sounds during warm up that went away.
An other report from the crash site that the belts were off.
I also talked to the 1st responder on the seen and said "he was in bad shape and helicopter was decinergrated".
Bruce is a real nice guy that would offer his help and ideas,
He did a presentation about a month ago on how he made it and from what I seen his work was top notch.
I remember he talked about was the shaft that drove the rear prop being a process to do.

I am being carefull on what I write.

Joe

Aloha Joe,

It is nice to know that you know Bruce. I agree with you that his ship had a lot of thought put into it and
he was very focused as to his preflight and other procedures.

I don't want to put a bee in anyones bonnet but as I have found, all eye witnesses are not credible. I am pretty sure with the configuration of his Mosquito that it was an XE (Experimental Aircraft). If so the FAA will do a full investigation of this unfortunate event and give their findings based on eye witnesses reports, facts found at the site, and information from Bruce collected by professional Investigators. Only then will we know exactly what caused this accident and how to avoid it from ever happening again.

Michael

XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Thank You Michael.  I am glad we can check on Bruce often.  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No N numberand on it, in the past the FAA may not do a complete investigation because of it being an UL.

Joe
OK, went to Joe's website, signed in, but can't figure out how to leave a message. Help.
Skeeter
Hello All,

We've received this set of instructions from the EAA president in Boston for connecting to the web site for Bruce. So please sign and leave a message letting him and his family know that we care and are praying for him. We are currently working with the FAA and NTSB to try to understand what happened.

STEPS:

1) Go to: http://www.carepages.com

2) In the search bar, type: Bruce Shulman -- click submit.

3) Scroll about half-way down to the "CarePages websites"
and click on hopeforbruce

4) You will need to register (it's free to "become a member"
of the CarePages website). Once you're on, you'll see updates
and may leave a message for Bruce's family.

NOTE 1: You can have the website send you an e-mail
whenever there is an update about Bruce on the website.

NOTE 2: When you see the update page, there is often more info than is
displayed, so be sure to click on Read more for each update.
EXAMPLE: One update detail not shown on the main update page,
(it displayed when "read more" was clicked) included
this funny note about Bruce's nutrition:
You will all be happy to know that they began feeding Bruce tonight - a high protein diet - as his body will consume many calories trying to recover from this trauma. We all know Bruce is a "foodie" and there was some comfort and even a few smiles with the knowledge that he would be receiving nourishment and his belly would be full. We couldn't convince them to put any dessert into his food lines - and if you know Bruce then you know he loves his dessert - but that doesn't mean that we can't ask again tomorrow! There have also been some inquiries about putting "peeps" into an IV bag - but apparently that is also frowned upon.
Thanks John for the Bruce Update. I'm so glad he has very close family and friends with him, that is the best medicine you could ever ask for when times are hard. I hope that all of the prayers and good wishes will go along way to helping our fellow friend get better.
This is the latest post from Bruce's family on Care Pages.

7:15pm Saturday

Posted 13 hours ago

Hey guys,

Nancy just checked in with the nurse - at this point no news is "status quo news" ... if the phones and updates are quiet - it means that things are ok and our boy is chuggin along. I will let you guys know if we get any more updates thru the night. We are all going to try to get some much needed rest and gear up for the road ahead.

Thank you all so much for your prayers - be good to yourselves - remember, this risky road could be a long one so save your energy, smile a little more, and keep hope alive.

NTSB Identification: ERA10LA488
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, September 19, 2010 in Halifax, MA
Aircraft: Schulman Mosquito XEL, registration: None
Injuries: 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On September 19, 2010, at about 1307 eastern daylight time, an unregistered, experimental, amateur-built, Schulman Mosquito XEL helicopter, owned and operated by a private individual, was destroyed when it collided with trees near East Monponsett Pond, Halifax, Massachusetts. The non-certificated pilot received serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91, personal flight.

Witnesses in a nearby lake observed the helicopter flying over and around the lake; flying low at times. The helicopter then maneuvered over a swamp area with trees and was seen hovering just above the trees. It was observed yawing its tail boom section left and right about 15 degrees each way; followed by the tipping of its main rotor blades left and right. The helicopter then went into a spin and nosed over impacting the trees.

The responding Federal Aviation Administration inspector stated that the aircraft came to rest upside down with the top of the main rotor facing the ground in a heavily wooded swampy area. The majority of the helicopter’s fuselage, constructed of fiberglass, was consumed in the post crash fire. Both rubber serpentine drive belts appeared intact, with the main rotor belt melted to the pulley with the reinforcing cord drooping from the melted belt remnants. Most of the tail boom remained intact. Two feet of the tail boom, along with the tail rotor gearbox, was found 25 yards northwest from the main wreckage site. A 2 foot section of the tail rotor drive shaft was sheared off from the main section and found 5 feet from the main wreckage.

There were signs of tree damage where the broken tail boom section and gear box was thrown away from the main wreckage site. One of the carbon fiber tail rotor blades was found adjacent to the remaining tail boom section at the main wreckage; the other tail rotor blade was found halfway between the main wreckage and where the tail rotor gearbox was found. Both carbon fiber tail rotor blades were broken at their root where they are bonded to the mounting pad. The tail rotor gearbox was damaged from impact and rotated freely. The main rotor blades, which are constructed from aluminum, remained intact with dents, and bends to the top and bottom of the blades. No leading edge impact damage was observed on either main rotor blades.
Index for Sep2010 | Index of months
Is anyone from the factory, or Mark looking into this? Sure would like to know our people are in the loop.
Praying for Bruce,
Skeeter