Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Level
Hey thanks guys.

I bought the fittings I need to hook in the low fuel detector, I didn't get to it today though.
I've been working on a better support setup for the front blade when I'm hauling on the trailer.

I figure I'll have triple redundancy for fuel
- float sender in fuel tank
- low level fluid detector
- keeping track of time

I guess the key is to have the discipline to spend the time and effort to keep track of fuel level and flight time and not rely on the instruments only.
I'm interested to know what fuel sensing units people are using.

I have a serious debate about "time in tanks". The problem is that with everything ideal...."time in tanks" will work. If you have a fuel leak while inflight.....well...that will shorten the time.

Anyone using a gauge......let me know what sender you are using.

Sunpro CP7583 still working fine for me.

I added a couple of fittings to get the site tube forward where I can see it easier.
I have the fluid detector tee'd in at the bottom of the site tube and it's connected to the Enigma so I get a screen and voice warning.
ldiebel - 5/25/2011 8:46 AM

Sunpro CP7583 still working fine for me.

I added a couple of fittings to get the site tube forward where I can see it easier.
I have the fluid detector tee'd in at the bottom of the site tube and it's connected to the Enigma so I get a screen and voice warning.

Very interesting sensor to use.....not that I'm against it....but I am looking more towards a capacitive fuel probe. I talked to Centroid Products earlier today......probably going to go that route.

Hi James...I'm using the MGL FF-3 Fuel Management System, with the Capacitance Fuel Level Sender, Bendable, Cutable. I've asked Dwight to install the sender at the factory. Link below...

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/veloc...

Attached Files
.jpg   FF3s.jpg (Size: 12.59 KB / Downloads: 19)
.jpg   Levelsend.jpg (Size: 5.05 KB / Downloads: 19)
I'd be interested to know if anyone has had good results with a capacitive sender.
It would be easier to mount and I generally prefer no moving parts.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the Centroid sender that came with my heli to work, but I couldn't get accurate and repeatable fuel level info.
I went back and forth with Centroid a few times, even sent the probe to them so they could check it.
riccimartin - 5/25/2011 11:07 AM

Hi James...I'm using the MGL FF-3 Fuel Management System, with the Capacitance Fuel Level Sender, Bendable, Cutable. I've asked Dwight to install the sender at the factory. Link below...

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/veloc...

Ricci,

I'm working toward the instruments I have had in queue for so long.

I don't think I would even consider using their sender. It would be unethical.

But I have been in contact with Centroid.....they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I am worried about repeatability. Although, even then the gauge is only going to be representative of fuel quantity due to the shape of the XE/XEL tank. It is going to vary with fuel quantity faster at the top and bottom.

ldiebel - 5/25/2011 11:43 AM

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had good results with a capacitive sender.
It would be easier to mount and I generally prefer no moving parts.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the Centroid sender that came with my heli to work, but I couldn't get accurate and repeatable fuel level info.
I went back and forth with Centroid a few times, even sent the probe to them so they could check it.

I would like to know how much of a fluctuation you were getting...and why you think it varied.

Also....what type of output did the sender give (the one you purchased).

I calibrated the site tube (with a marker) by adding fuel 1/2 gallon at a time.
I then calibrated the Enigma panel to Centroid sender, the numbers were not proportional, but I got it set up ok.

Then just compared the site tube to the Enigma as I fueled up, and flew.
The Enigma (Centroid sender) would bounce all over the place and had a nasty habit of jumping to "full" periodically.
I spent time tracing wires etc., then verified with a volt meter that the signal was just going full scale right on the sender.

I tried re-calibrating the sender several times, the guy at Centroid was rude with me when I told him I had re-calibrated it. I told him I wouldn't have re-calibrated it if it was working correctly. The re-calibration never solved the problem.
When I talked with Centroid the guy said that the capacitance of fuel differed depending on what % ethanol it had. I have always bought my fuel from the same place, maybe the % changed, but even if that was the issue, I still want an accurate reading without having to re-calibrate for each batch of fuel.

I sent it to them and they said there was nothing wrong with it, so I told them they could keep it.

I was tired of spending time on it, so I installed the float sender and it works fine.
As I said, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had more success than me with a capacitive sender.
That is very interesting.......

I'm glad you shared your experience with me.

It is important to know how a prospective supplier will handle problems. In this case they do not look like a good customer service avenue.

I will try their sensor....but I figure there will probably be a problem......

I know many have had great success with capacitance sensors. The way it works is pretty easy......and you are right, the sensor should not have given those types of errors.

The % of ethanol will cause some variations, but they should be slight unless the fuel station is getting careless with the addition of the ethanol. It is important to know...because suppliers DO NOT add the ethanol. The stations do, or their distributors (middle men).