Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Tank Leaking
Has anyone had a problem with fuel seeping through the tank? If so, how did you correct this problem?

Thanks!
The answer is yes there have been issues in the past with leakage, as a result of the addition of ethanol to the gas, the fixs: prevent it, try not to use gas with ethanol, dont let fuel remain in the tanks (drain the tanks) if you have to use ethanol and if you have experienced leakage, the repair is to remove the tailboom cut into the tank and clean and (re)seal it - Dwight has done the fix at the factory and has the specifics on how to make the acess into the tank and on the sealant - the sealant has been stock for about two (dont remember the exact date) years it became the standard on new aircraft after the issue was discovered
Hello Jack

Quel votre N de KIT?
Merci

Hello Jack

What is your kit number?
Thank you
Jean-Rémy (XE 1077 - Sud Bretagne - France)
I did the fuel tank reseal. Dwight supplied the technical advice and supplies. All went very well and I have a nice, well sealed tank now. It's not near as difficult as your probably imagining. Wink
Skeeter
bonjour Dwight
j'ai réparé une fuite dans le réservoir avec de la résine epoxy resistante au hydrocarbure mais sans succès.
j'ai ouvert a l'arrière pour améliorer l’accès. quelle est cette matière bleu dans ce réservoir?
la résine epoxy ne semble pas adhérer a cette matière.
cordialement.
Guillaume_M

I repaired a leak in the tank with hydrocarbon-resistant epoxy resin but without success.
I opened the back to improve access. What is this blue material in this tank?
the epoxy resin does not seem to adhere to this material.
best regard
The blue material inside of the tank is used as a sealant, It is a commercial product used to seal underground fuel storage tanks.
- also I updated your forum status to builder owner so you can access the builders and maintenance manual
Mike
(02-15-2011, 03:54 PM)marcher07 Wrote: The answer is yes there have been issues in the past with leakage, as a result of the addition of ethanol to the gas, the fixs: prevent it, try not to use gas with ethanol, dont let fuel remain in the tanks (drain the tanks) if you have to use ethanol and if you have experienced leakage, the repair is to remove the tailboom cut into the tank and clean and (re)seal it - Dwight has done the fix at the factory and has the specifics on how to make the acess into the tank and on the sealant - the sealant has been stock for about two (dont remember the exact date)  years it became the standard on new aircraft after the issue was discovered

This is the type of response that helps other owners that may or may not be a registered forum owner. Not every owner has access to the builders and maintenance manual if they haven't had their forum status changed. Thank you Mike.