Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please all MZ2 Mosquito owners... Reply
My fellow Mosquito owners, I am in my final hours of training and will soon start my adventure. I have but one deli ma, I will be flying my Mosquito in a different location almost every week. Dwight has reminded me of the fact that I must JET my motor for every location. Since I do not have this information written down I would like to ask all of you to submit this critical information to keep my motor safe and sound. So I would appreciate if you could submit where you fly. Example: Altitude, Temperature, Humidity, Fuel Octane and finally what Jet you are using. This will help me as I travel throughout the United States. I will try to draw a graph form this info and post it ..........Thanks Kerry
PS. Include your address and I will try to stop by and go for a fly with you..... All I need is a 70 ft. to park my motorhome and trailer............... See Ya at Sun & Fun at the end of March
may I ask.. where bouts are you going in the USA? I would love to see your mosquito.. and I know Josh in asheville would too..
Kerry I'd tell you my info but I don't have no stinking jets. If you leave Florida for your Mosquito Flying the World Tour without stopping to Fly at my house before ya leave I'm gonna track you down. I know the airshow schedule you will not be hard to find or spot in a Bright Orange Helicopter, LOL! Have fun and best of luck with your training, hopefully I will be flying soon to join in on the fun........
Hey Kerry,
Believe it or not, I don't even know the jet size I'm running. Dwight set it up for me at the factory and has run like that since the beginning. (45 hrs ago). Temps are good so I don't mess with it. Hope you make it to Missouri sometime. Would love to go flyin with you around our little home town. Be careful and have fun with your flying. BTW.....Congratulations on FIRST PLACE on BEST LOOKING HELICOPTER at the fly-in. (I know it's just because you let her sit in your machine.) lol
Gary Smile
Rob,
You're gonna ruffle up Kerry's tail feathers if you keep calling it BRIGHT ORANGE. It's LAMBORGINI ORANGE. heh heh. And just as a side note....if you're wanting a pair of jets on your Mosquito, I know this guy in Missouri who would trade his jets in along with his engine for your TURBINE! Wink
Hey Guys! I have just purchased the XE3 and I seen what u all r talking about I also will be Traveling the country with mine can u tell me if my Bird will also require different jets for this anf how to obtain them?
Thanks
Terry
Jelly,

FOLLOW THE MOSQUITO FACTORY'S GUIDANCE ONLY!!!! THIS POST IS ONLY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON SO YOU CAN HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT.

In aviation, the term "DENSITY ALITUDE" is used to determine engine, wing, propeller, and rotor performance. It is only a theoretical altitude, determined by plugging several actual field measurements of the surrounding air into an equation.

IT IS THIS "DENSITY ALTITUDE" AT YOUR LOCAION THAT WILL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW, TO JET YOUR ENGINE CORRECTLY.

Airports are scattered everywhere and chances are, there's one closeby to EVERYWHERE you will fly. Our tax dollars have installed ASOS / AWOS automated weather stations at almost every airport. These robot wx observers can be called up on the phone at a number listed in the airport/facility directory (green book). ONE OF THE THINGS YOU'LL HEAR ON THE PHONE IS "DENSITY ALTITUDE."

My guess is that Dwight and them have already developed a jetting table for the Mosquito engines that shows which jets are needed at which density altitudes.

I have not flown a Mos but I flew 100+ hours in a Mini-500 back in the mid 90's. I developed my own jetting chart for it so I understand how it works on a helicopter.

Here's some food for thought based on my experience.
The main thing that you will be concerned with pertaining to jetting, is avoiding too much heat while developing enough power to fly. The fuel for a 2-stroke contains the lubricant so jetting has control over how your engine gets lubricated. Not enough oil...and it will seize.

"DO NOT EXPERIMENT DOING THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE!!! THIS IS ONLY THE THEORY OF HOW IT WORKS!!
** THE tool you use to find out if you are jetted correctly is the EGT gauge.
** During a FULL THROTTLE climb, with the maximum amount of collective you can put in without the ROTOR RPM bleeding off, the EGT's should be stable at the temperature the Mosquito manual calls for (probably top of green arc). On the Mini-500, this was 1200 degF.
** Now here's where folks got in trouble jetting the Mini-500.
1) As you lower the collective from a full throttle/max power climb, THERE SHOULD BE A CORRESPONDING AND PROPORTIONATE DECREASE IN EGT. If, as you lower the colective, your EGT's EVER begin to RISE...you are in danger of seizing your engine.
On the Bing Carbs, ??75% to full throttle?? is controlled by the orifice size in the MAIN JETS and how much the tapered end of the JET-NEEDLE blocks that orifice. (SO IF YOUR EGT'S ARE CORRECT AT FULL THROTTLE AND DECREASE AS YOU LOWER COLLECTIVE, YOUR MAIN JETS ARE CORRECT)
From ??1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle?? The orifice size in the NEEDLE JETS and how much it it blocked by the tapered end of the JET-NEEDLE, control the mixture. If, as you lower collective, there's a point where the main jets, handoff control to the NEEDLE JETS. If the needle jets are correct, the corresponding degrease in EGT's will continue. If the needle jets are too lean, there will be a increase in EGT. THIS CONDITION IS DANGEROUS.
2) If your full throttle climb doesn't put the EGT's where they need to be, the MAIN JETS NEED CHANGED. If EGT's decrese as collective is lowered during descent, and start increasing as you go below 3/4 throttle, you need to change your NEEDLE-JETS.

A jeting change based on density altitude MAY INCLUDE CHANGING THE MAIN JETS THE NEEDLE-JETS, OR BOTH.

FOLLOW THE MOSQUITO FACTORY'S GUIDANCE ONLY!!!! THIS POST IS ONLY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON SO YOU CAN HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT.
Use search engine use bing jets as key word.

Lonny
Oopps, Yeah your right Gary "LAMBORGINI ORANGE" make the helicopter go faster and and attracts beautiful Italian women, mabey Kerry was on to something with that paint scheme. If I was Mark Hornsby I may reconsider my current paint job, LOL!
Lonny - 2/20/2011 10:39 AM
Use search engine use bing jets as key word.

Lonny,
You are a Mosquito-exerienced guy, but I have a question. Read the next few lines and advise me if the Mos has this phenomenon like the Mini 500 did, please.

If you feel the Mos has this issue too, the published jetting charts will always give you too lean a NEEDLE-JET.

For fixed wing aircraft flying on a 2-stroke engine, here's a hypothetical perfect Throttle-Position/RPM/EGT table:

THR POSITION .....Full Throttle ........3/4 throttle..........1/2 throttle..........1/4 throttle............Idle
ENGINE RPM ........... 6,200................5,000...................3,800...................2,100................950
EGT....................... 1,200.................1,050.....................950.....................875................700
__________________________________________________________________________________________
For THE MINI-500 Helicopter, flying on Rotax 582 2-stroke engine, here's a hypothetical perfect Throttle-Position/RPM/EGT table:

THR POSITION .....Full Throttle ........3/4 throttle..........1/2 throttle..........1/4 throttle............Idle
ENGINE RPM ........... 6,250................6,250.................6,250...................6,250................950
EGT....................... 1,200.................1,050.....................950.....................875................700

As you can see, there is a HUGE difference. There is no significant difference at FULL THROTTLE so the main jets called out in the published charts, are for the most part correct.

THERE is a BIG PROBLEM with using the NEEDLE JETS called out in the charts because, in a helicopter, the engine runs at FULL RPM even when the throttle is decreased to the midrange.

THIS STARVES THE ENGINE FOR OIL IN THIS RANGE because it is spinning at full RPM with a lower amount of fuel available since the throttle barrels are partially closed.

Do you feel this is what is applicable to the Mos?