Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerry Wilson Dynamic Rollover crash :(
I was thinking of more like the picture I have included.

The front would be downward to the left.

I don't think anything will prevent a skid from getting snagged on an object. I'm just wondering if the pad is digging in......we know it has in the past....is this common? Is it worth a modification?.....or just should be noted for the pilots.

I know if I ever get an air....I will always look at that pad (all of them in reality) to insure they haven't sank or dug in.

I'm not sure this thread is the proper place for this discussion........ I apologize if this has offended anyone.

I am extremely glad Jerry is well and in good spirits.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That is exactly how they are shaped. Both the front and the sides are sloped. The pads have a larger surface area since they are short. However, the larger surface area will make them more susceptible to suction to a soft or wet dirt surface. Relative to skids this disadvantage is offset by the fact that skids have the full length along which any rock, root or other projection can cause the same problem. In any event, a slow liftoff with a trained response to drop collective at the sign of an unusual tilt will deal with the issue. For me the main issue is the self discipline it takes to resist the urge to pop into the air and fly away like superman. Proper procedure may be boring but there's a reason for it.
mosquito - 4/21/2011 7:18 PM

That is exactly how they are shaped. Both the front and the sides are sloped. The pads have a larger surface area since they are short. However, the larger surface area will make them more susceptible to suction to a soft or wet dirt surface. Relative to skids this disadvantage is offset by the fact that skids have the full length along which any rock, root or other projection can cause the same problem. In any event, a slow liftoff with a trained response to drop collective at the sign of an unusual tilt will deal with the issue. For me the main issue is the self discipline it takes to resist the urge to pop into the air and fly away like superman. Proper procedure may be boring but there's a reason for it.

That answers my question.

Thanks John
Skid-Geared and wheeled Helicopters roll-over like craaaazy too!
I've seen a photo somewhere of someone having "lunar lander" type circular "bowls" in place of the
flat, bent, plates, on their AIR. Don't have the photo myself though. To me it seems like a good idea.
I got a reply back from Jerry on youtube a few times.. he is in good spirits.. i dunno him personally but i feel that i do because of all the videos i have watched and read all his comments.. (i work on computers all day lol) .. Jerry says he is going to build a new AIR.. i asked him about maybe if he thought about getting a XEL OR another model and his reply was he like bugs in his teeth lol.. i think with any accident we can all learn from it then it turns a horrible thing into a learning experience.. Great posts in this thread already.. i wish i could join you guys sooner but i got 2 yrs before my wife finishes nursing school before i start my journey.. i cannot wait Smile
I pretty much echo what others have said.

I'm Glad Jerry is ok, very sorry to see the accident.

I'm very glad to hear Jerry will be flying again, I too feel like I know him because I've watched all his Mosquito videos, some of them many many times.

My favorite is the one where he flies beside the train as it goes across the bridge.

Jerry, if you're monitoring these posts, thanks for sharing all the videos, especially this last one, so we can all learn from it.
I look forward to many more videos in the future.
Dave (blueridge) that is great news. I hope his new aircraft doesn't take too long. He makes a lot of videos, and it gives me something to watch/dream. Beautiful scenery there as well.

For the people interested.....you should notice something, I noticed today. In all but two videos Jerry made (in the past), you can definitely tell he operates from his asphalt driveway. Those two, which are hard to tell, appear to stem from the same locations as the others. This would mean Jerry is a creature of habit with regard to taking off from asphalt.

The only video on his youtube account definitely from the grass is the one that caused us to cringe.

If only he had relocated his Mosquito to his usual spot.

I do realize there were some other events to place Jerry's machine in the grass. I think those also played a role. These upset his usual balance of thought.
i was looking at this on you tube and this guy came very close to having a dynamic roll over..tthis is some thing that we should all becareful of..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91CKIy-VEE
banker_776 - 4/22/2011 10:33 AM

i was looking at this on you tube and this guy came very close to having a dynamic roll over..tthis is some thing that we should all becareful of..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91CKIy-VEE

Is there a pattern here?? Sounds like and looks like the rear right pad is the main one to be concerned with. Any pad can cause a dynamic roll over, but the starboard aft seems to be the one which is the most common.

Still.....John is correct.....if following procedure.....that pilot should have dropped the collective. The outcome of that last video could have been much different (more like Jerry's or worse).