Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerry Wilson Dynamic Rollover crash :(
Thank to all for the condolences. I had my money's worth out of this Air 400 flights ago, not a regret. Would I get on another one? Yes, in a New York minute. I think the ship is fantastic. Whether Marilyn will ever let me get another one is a discussion we've yet to have.

So what was learned here? Always check the skids. Dump the collective at the first sign of tilting. Preferably use a hard surface to launch.

I've done lots of take-offs in the lawn before. I'm suspecting I set down on some gooey dog S***...ha
Gooey DOG $!%# will get you everytime, LOL. Great your so positive about it, Been plenty of discusion of what could and shouldn't have been done so I'm not gonna go there I'm just glad your ok bud....... If you wern't so far away I'd help ya rebuild. Sounds like the real miracle here is getting your old ladies approval on the rebuild, now that I can't help you with but I will start and sign a pro-rebuild petition, and help find the dog and owner who didn't bag up the......well...sticky smelly cause.
jerrywsoloflex - 4/22/2011 11:14 AM

Thank to all for the condolences. I had my money's worth out of this Air 400 flights ago, not a regret. Would I get on another one? Yes, in a New York minute. I think the ship is fantastic. Whether Marilyn will ever let me get another one is a discussion we've yet to have.

So what was learned here? Always check the skids. Dump the collective at the first sign of tilting. Preferably use a hard surface to launch.

I've done lots of take-offs in the lawn before. I'm suspecting I set down on some gooey dog S***...ha

I know I am grateful you are well, and in good spirits.

I hope it won't be too long if you build another. I enjoy your videos.
Actually the padded and wheeled helicopters are more prone to roll over on grass or other non hard surfaces. Skids help spread out the load. This photo was taken one week after hurricane Katrina. They landed to take a leak and smoke a cigarette. The sidewalk was too narrow so one wheel was on the pavement and the other was in the grass. They left the helo running while they took their break. The idle motion sunk the left gear into the soft grass. After about ten minutes, they took off......well sort of.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

the up side is im sure there are still a lot of good parts on your old air that you can use on building a new one and save at least some money on the new one unless you just keep the old one for parts and start all new..im glad i was reading about this im building a mosquito air just waiting on my rotor blades and engine /instuments/fule tanks from john..he said instruments are on the way engine will ship next week but rotor blades will be another month...must have a lot of orders coming in but thats good i want to see this still on the market fot another 30 years plus..
sorry for the miss spell im not a good typer..lol
another technical question. only asking
why not increase the leght of the bars, just to gain time to react?
Prolly have to ask John on that one being he designed it, I do know his intent was to make it a Ultralight legal helicopter ( even though they have no such thing in Canada), the more you add, the more weight you add, but not to take away from you thinking. I think it has been established here that Dynamic rollover can happen on anytype of airframe, I mean Sean posted a pic of a friggin skycrane that rolled over, A FRIGGIN SKY CRANE! I think John's advise is best in slow down and be more aware during your pick ups. I personally like skids better, and like the modifications Andy Redmond did to his Harley Copter, but that doesn't mean the air is not safe or capable. I've seen Paul fly his several times at the factory and is very capable in it. Like any type of aircraft, you have to be AWARE of the limitations and operating tendancies. The AIR has a smaller foot print than traditional skids, and when you fly one you must be aware of it at all times.
Watching this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91CKI...
notice he had too much left peddle at take off causing rotation and maybe too little left cyclic to counteract the side force of the TR thrust pushing you to the right. And even more than normal because of too much left peddle. That combination might be putting pressure on the right rear pad - pushing it into the ground. - all normal but unnoticed because a very experienced pilot counters all these little gremlins making every lift off look simple and smooth. I heard Clint Eastwood's take offs are more scary than in the above video. Thanks so much Jerry and John and all on this forum for helping us all learn and become better aviators!

More thinking on this - it's like everything is pushing the right pad into the ground...is that why they angle the TR thrust down (or is it up?) on the giant military choppers?
blueridge - 4/22/2011 7:33 AM

i asked him about maybe if he thought about getting a XEL OR another model and his reply was he like bugs in his teeth lol..

Hey, now wait a minute Bluefridge, why on earth would you thing he'd want one of those heavy plastic models? He built an AIR, and Jerry's been happy in his AIR, and I can think of no reason whatsoever that he'd even consider a XEZ or TXE or whatever. In fact, you still probably have enough time to cancel your XYZ model and order a AIR for yourself, then you'll see why he wouldn't change. The only advantage at all that I can see is..............well, I can't think of one. If I was going to start from scratch, I'd get another AIR, and sounds like Jerry would also. Consider a XEL? No way.