Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerry Wilson Dynamic Rollover crash :(
Hi RMS, the weigth is not important in this case.
see the croquis below
to the same angle in longer bar, the pilot will have moe time to react
the x point will take more time to hit the grown
see that are 2 variables involved, (first and second order) of the x ' movement

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Actually.....not sure, but I don't think that is a sky crane. Looks close to an HH-3....but still not exact. Probably a SA-330 Puma.

But you are correct. There is little that can be done about dynamic roll over. You could provide a wider stance, but that will only give a split second more response time, it will not solve the problem, and it will add weight. It might also compromise the hard landing characteristics (weaken the struts.....more leverage) of the "Air" with the gear legs longer.

EDIT: it should be noted that with the legs longer I figure the height (off the ground) of the helo to be a fixed factor. With the stance wider (not taller) the leverage on the gear legs would be greater in the upward motion during a hard landing.

This is definitely a situation that knowledge will over come the problem.

These are my opinions.......
Ya I realize now after looking at that pic your right, it is not a sky crane, The color made me think it was a Erickson rig which I have seen several times up close, but after flippin my laptop on its side your right, I stand corrected. Either way it's a pic of a BIG A$$ helicopter on it's side, illustrating my point it can happen to anyone!

As to the other responce, I understand your point and your logic is makes sence, my point is John designed the helicopter to be light, I wasn't getting into the dynamics into what would make it better or safer, I agree with your illustration and you bring up good points.
rsm - 4/22/2011 2:34 PM

Ya I realize now after looking at that pic your right, it is not a sky crane, The color made me think it was a Erickson rig which I have seen several times up close, but after flippin my laptop on its side your right, I stand corrected. Either way it's a pic of a BIG A$$ helicopter on it's side, illustrating my point it can happen to anyone!

It's ok......it is a BIG A$$ helicopter on it's side.....and a result of dynamic roll over. That is enough to show it can happen to any helicopter. Big Grin

thanks to answer,
only my oppinion, hard landing in prefered than DR ( in the sclale of problems)
the geometric of the bar can resolve the weight problem, and we can use steel wires like xe
as we saw in the two videos one had luck the other no.
rhrocker - 4/22/2011 4:27 PM

blueridge - 4/22/2011 7:33 AM

i asked him about maybe if he thought about getting a XEL OR another model and his reply was he like bugs in his teeth lol..

Hey, now wait a minute Bluefridge, why on earth would you thing he'd want one of those heavy plastic models? He built an AIR, and Jerry's been happy in his AIR, and I can think of no reason whatsoever that he'd even consider a XEZ or TXE or whatever. In fact, you still probably have enough time to cancel your XYZ model and order a AIR for yourself, then you'll see why he wouldn't change. The only advantage at all that I can see is..............well, I can't think of one. If I was going to start from scratch, I'd get another AIR, and sounds like Jerry would also. Consider a XEL? No way.

WHOOPS! OK, ok. My better half just read this and said that she didn't think that the group would realize that I was just joshing and pulling your leg. Yes, I like AIRS, but I like all of the models that John and Dwight design and build. Just trying to inject a little humor and happiness into an otherwise rather bleak day for one of our own. I'm just feeling really good because Jerry came through this without any problems, medical or otherwise.
Rob2
rhrocker - 4/22/2011 3:47 PM

WHOOPS! OK, ok. My better half just read this and said that she didn't think that the group would realize that I was just joshing and pulling your leg. Yes, I like AIRS, but I like all of the models that John and Dwight design and build. Just trying to inject a little humor and happiness into an otherwise rather bleak day for one of our own. I'm just feeling really good because Jerry came through this without any problems, medical or otherwise.
Rob2

I think it's all good. I believe everyone got the idea you were pulling our leg(s). Your an owner.....and no one could hate or even begin to dislike the other models. They all have their advantages.

Anyone who would hate on any Mosquito hasn't been around this group long.

Like calling it a "Upticycle".....now that's just funny. (I read that yesterday in the posts I'm catching up on)

the heli is on its side is a eurocopter super puma. super sad because its an AWESOME heli...easy way to spot eurocopter is they spin the rotors the wrong way and have the TR on the right side, meaning right pedal instead of left...YUK
Rotorman007 - 4/22/2011 4:45 PM

the heli is on its side is a eurocopter super puma. super sad because its an AWESOME heli...easy way to spot eurocopter is they spin the rotors the wrong way and have the TR on the right side, meaning right pedal instead of left...YUK

Interesting.....it looks more like a SA-330 just from the sponsons. I know the Super Pumas were just a redesign of the 330's.

The Puma was the predicessor of the Super Puma......basically the same company.

But it is hard to tell......just by a picture.

The aircraft was a Puma 330. Here are some additional photos my TFO took.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)