Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long when one orders the air would it take ?
I read the thread on how long it takes for the XE , but I wonder do they Have kits in stock already for the air or do they make them as you order them like the XE ?
Oneuknow - 5/18/2011 5:35 AM

I read the thread on how long it takes for the XE , but I wonder do they Have kits in stock already for the air or do they make them as you order them like the XE ?

The XE is not really based on order. They can only produce the airframe at a certain rate (about one per week) so the factory does stay somewhat behind trying to keep up with the sales. The other parts are completed to coincide with the airframes (my understanding, but I can be wrong).

The "Air" is different, and I understand it's delivery to be much shorter. But the parts must be made for the critical flight components (rotor head and drive line parts). In the current economy, most companies do not keep many items in stock. There are tax reasons for this, and the parts are quite expensive per item.

Last I heard the "Air" takes about three months to get the complete kit, but only John or someone from Innovator Technologies can answer this.

the air kits seem to be put together as they are ordered...they are also a bit behind ..i ordered my air the first week of jan, 2011 and have got most every thing but still waiting on the engine and the main rotor blades..the blades are held up because they are waiting on a spec glue they use on them.. as for the engine i just dont know what the hold up is.. i would have thoult that it would have been here a few months ago..they say i will have it by the end of the week from the engine builder....as how long it takes to get a air i will have to let you know im still waiting...lol
banker_776 - 5/18/2011 6:55 AM

the air kits seem to be put together as they are ordered...they are also a bit behind ..i ordered my air the first week of jan, 2011 and have got most every thing but still waiting on the engine and the main rotor blades..the blades are held up because they are waiting on a spec glue they use on them.. as for the engine i just dont know what the hold up is.. i would have thoult that it would have been here a few months ago..they say i will have it by the end of the week from the engine builder....as how long it takes to get a air i will have to let you know im still waiting...lol

Wow...that is much longer than I would have thought.....

Hope your build turns out great. Take some video...we all need inspiration.

It took a year to get my AIR. Ok, maybe there was a reason Wink
I ordered mine in stages. The frame kit first, then when I was just about
done with that, i ordered the controls, kit, and so on. This worked out good
for me because of my budget for this project, so I was thankful John allowed me
to go this route. I don't recall any one item taking to long to get here, but the AIR and the XE line of Mosquito's are getting very, very popular, and I know Dennis is working hard to stay caught up on the XE's, and John and Doug are doing a good job of getting
parts out to AIR builders.
The only thing I would have done differient would have been to try and build my AIR like
Andy Redman built his Harley hopper, with skids, and the other mods. Then I would have put floats on the skids (never to be used as floats, floats) to stay within the legal limits of part 103.
I may still try and do this one of these days, need to touch base with Andy and see if he'll let me bend his ear. Now, I like those little plastic XE machines that most of you are crazy about, but I'm passionate about the AIR, and to me, the ultimate would be the
Harley style AIR.
I sure can get off track can't I. Anyway, yes, there'll be some waiting, but it goes by fast, and before you know it you're in the air having the time of your life.
Enjoy!
Rob2
it is a fun project..i dont have a video cam yet but have pictures on my album..will be putting more on tonight..i built cars for 10 years but this is my first aircraft build...im not sure why the air is taking so long to get the parts but it is what it is...
my air was ordered as a full kit...thoult that would speed up my parts kits coming but that was not the case..i know john is at the mersy of his venders so i try to keep that in mind
If yo don't mind my asking, where are you located Gregory?
Rob2
banker_776 - 5/18/2011 8:25 AM

my air was ordered as a full kit...thoult that would speed up my parts kits coming but that was not the case..i know john is at the mersy of his venders so i try to keep that in mind

I'm a machinist among other things....and I know some of the parts John uses are pretty critical when it comes to manufacturing them. He is very careful when it comes to things being right....so I actually understand why parts take time.

Plus....there are so many.......

Hi Rob i live in Rockford IL..James is correct there is a lot of detail to the parts being machined...it takes time to make them..on the buss side of me or to play devils advocate machine shops are all ways starved for work and having that in mined with work picking up i would spread the maching work by having more then one shop to go to to make needed parts so that when work is piling up its good to get the exstra help..that would alow faster delievery time to the costumers and keep the money and parts flowing and also get the venders to compete for the work that may even reduce the cost....just a thoult