Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Heli has been done
http://www.gizmag.com/first-successfu...

Click above to see the latest electric helicopter. It's a co-axial type, which
to me isn't a true helicopter in the sense of the word (sort of like calling a autogyro a helicopter
I guess). It doesn't have a collective, but relies on motor speed to accend/decend. Skorsky has recently come out with an electric helicopter also, looks more like a 300 I think, but so far can only stay up a few seconds whereas this co-axiel style can stay up several minutes before recharging. Still not at a point where it could really go anywhere, but with the power of the new batteries increasing almost on a daily basis, it's just a matter of time.
Rob2
That sucks. Beat me by a few months. Motors are on their way.
Ha! I knew you were fixing to announce your new and improved electric helicopter
John Wink I figured that Larry had done all of the test work for you already. Well, sorry,
but these guys beat you Smile

Rob2
Hey Rob

That's a little harsh isn't it ? "to me isn't a true helicopter in the sense of the word (sort of like calling a autogyro a helicopter "

I flew a few of the Kamov's including the Ka 32 (long line with 4000 kg 200 feet below) and Ka 50 (tacnav's with NVGs) and I can say they both fly like real helicopters to me !! Smile

Yeah a little different from the Griffin (412) and the Mi 8 MTV but fun all the same!

take care

Peter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD8Tfj...

Peter, ok, no problem with me, l Like all of them! Whereas "harsh" doesn't seem quite right, both machines do have large rotors. I twould have been interesting to see what the old man (Igor) would have said himself. Back then I doubt that they were really looking for definitions
so much, but your point is well taken, and I honestly don't know the actual deffinition of the
various machines. Heck there's even a single bladed (or 1/2 blade if you will, from the hub to pretty far out, and nothing on the other side except for maybe some counterweight. Certianly not a autogyro, but is it a helicopter? I wouldn't think so. I think as it is now we can all make up our own minds as to what we'll call them. But even that is subject to scrutinry.
Rob2

Next post:

That's it! That's Sikorskys entry into the electric helicopter (electric autogyro? See, just doesn't seem right) field. It'll stay airborm longer than I thought, but not much. The batteries are still the problem because of weight.

This isn't a "real" helicopter in the sense that there isn't collective control so it won't be able to autorotate like a conventional helicopter can. That greatly simplifies the controls of a coaxial helicopter which is probably why he went this way. True coaxials have very poor yaw characteristics in auto and have a fairly complicated control system. I wouldn't want to fly much higher than 8 feet or so in this machine. Electric motors are reliable but still can have issues.
I think it's quite revolutionary....and an historic achievement....time will tell.
It's just a matter of time. Ten years ago no one was flying electric radio controlled helicopters. Today, electrics dominate for many reasons but the main reason is the power to weight ratio. Electrics out perform the IC counter parts by a long shot. John can elaborate on this but the biggest obstacles are battery weight and finding an electric motor that will do the job for less than $50,000. Don't hold your breath yet, but it's coming.
Your post made me think Mark. Larry once mentioned dragging the batteries around by means of an umbilical. The "cart" would have one large wheel on each side, and single pivoting wheels on each end. We'd need to get into the theory of wheels also along with everything else. Sound way out? They're doing something like this with that water squirting gizmo we saw on U.tube recentlyl They were pulling a water pump around in the water that supplied two jet nozzles that were strapped to the swimmer/pilot/diver whatever he/she was. Then thre were those "things" that looked like helicopters, with some sort of framework around them that let the pilot do certian manevours on a very flat concrete surface. The heli was suspended in this framework and could scoot around doing certian things like turn 360 degress, go up and down a couple of feet, and so on. The point is, there's a lot still being done and some of it "thankfully" deals with training.
The future holds a lot of interesting ideas and things.
Rob2