Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First XET Flight
I got a curved cyclic and unless I'm topped off its not forward at all, its actually quite comfortable
Ya its all what your used to, the Enstrom cyclic was right up in your junk it seemed like, and the straight stick is a few inches away ya know.
Sorry everyone but I'm going to revive a 7 year old thread, mainly because this thread was about the aircraft I now own.

Aircraft is XET with aux tank, horizontal and vertical fin set, straight cyclic, no cyclic friction.
I weigh 165 lbs with helmet and flight suit and I have 30 lbs of soft weights piled on the instrument cowling which blocks the GPS antenna if I'm not super careful. This seems ridiculous. Left pedal pressure seems heavy and numb feedback-wise but I can live with that.

Hovering and low speed spirited maneuvering with both tanks nearly full is comfortable as far as cyclic position with the weights where they are. This is AFTER moving the seat forward about 2 inches from where the previous owner had it and installing the optional stabilzers.

Trying to accelerate past 75kts is an exercise in bravery and yoga as I'm having to push forward cyclic to the limits of my reach (I'm 5'8" with normal length arms), and about 7 pounds of right cyclic force. If I let go at that speed, it would result in a catastrophic left roll. It's tiring and unpleasant to fly cross country like this. Cyclic does not want to snap left below 70kts thankfully.

1) Is this normal/expected?
2) How might I remedy this? Lead weight cylinders near the skid tips? Curved cyclic? (no jokes about getting fat please)
3) Any other lightweight pilots have similar issues with the tendency to roll left at speed? I first considered the ball being out, or relative wind to ground track, but no matter which way I turned at speed, it didn't go away.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the agility buzzing around open fields low the ground. I'm frustrated that it takes so much physical exertion at 75+ kts to maintain even a level attitude let alone enjoy the view.

Any help of advice greatly appreciated!
Did you install the horizontal stabilizers? Sounds like you are fighting aerodynamics at higher speeds. If so maybe take them back off and try again
Shane 
RV-6 Angle Valve G3X
Murphy Rebel 
Aero Engineer, A&P
(07-15-2018, 02:39 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Did you install the horizontal stabilizers? Sounds like you are fighting aerodynamics at higher speeds. If so maybe take them back off and try again

Yes. Agreed, I do believe it's aerodynamic. You do have a good point because I didn't notice the high speed instability without the horizontal stabilizers a week ago. I was hoping they would help with the forward cyclic issue, but possibly ended up creating a whole new problem.