Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome video !
I think the CH-7 probably will do good autos. I can clearly see in a few frames of the Charlie video that the blades have a nice A-symmetrical reflex airfoil. The blades are also long and you can hear how low the disk loading is when listening to this machine fly in the videos. The blades are very quiet.

I watched the second video and see that the auto profiles being done in those videos are pretty shallow and very close to the ground in the flare and the initial collective pull. I have started doing a deeper flare a little higher up to decrease forward airspeed/groundspeed to zero and increase rotor rpm for the final cushion from a straight down decent from about 10-15 feet. The autos in the video look more like they are using up a lot of the rotor rpm in the initial collective pull while still nose high in the flare. This doesn't leave much rotor rpm for the final cushion. Doing a deeper flare a little higher and only pulling enough collective to keep the rotor from overspeeding leaves plenty of rotor rpm for the final cushion. Once the airspeed is lost I rotate to a level pitch attitude and basically do a hovering auto from 10-15 feet. From this altitude the helicopter doesn't build up so much downward velocity that the remaining rotor rpm (which should still be in the green) can't give an adequate cushion for a soft zero-zero touchdon. John Snyder also uses this technique and it clearly makes for a better touchdown because all of the remaining collective pull is dedicated to vertical lift where if the low flare is done a lot of the useful collective is wasted on a rotor that is still tilted back trying to do two things at once (stoping downward and horizontal velocities).

We have also discussed the fact that more weight actually improves autorotational capability (up to a point) and that is probably why the XET autorotates so well for you Rob.

Of all the many autos to the ground I did in the Mad Mosquito no one ever got any video of it so John Snyder remains the only representation of full down autos I think we have in the Mosquito community. We have to change that at some point but like Rob said; "you don't just go out and do full down autos in other people's machines". If anyone ever wants to come out and do some full down autos with me in the Enstrom come and get it. I've been doing a lot of them lately.
Mark there is video of you doing the insanely high hovering autos in the mad mosquito. Pretty easy to tell it was you, blue and yellow, big yellow floats and what looks to be an NBA center at the controls, LMAO.

(For you guys that don't know, Mark is Tall) Smile
Mark your explanation of the auto is spot on and how I do them also. Only time I pull any positive pitch is to keep rotor speed from over speeding. John Snyder has discussed this characteristic about all the mosquito series helicopters in that when you flare it is just about impossible to get the ballon effect you will get in other helicopters, and little or no initial pitch is needed till you level the ship. At that point it's just a hovering auto, biggest skill involved is getting the height speed timing issue worked correctly. When it's managed correctly amazing how much pull you have when you need it, very handy thing to have.
Rob,

On another note.....
Really glad to hear that you're planning to keep your XET.
The thought of you selling it was really sad.

Is your XET down here now?
I'd love to meet at Valkaria and fly some time.
Still a lot going on with Julie's health so I'm not sure when it would be though.
Based at KFPR.  My trailer is temporary mini storage at the moment
(02-14-2013, 07:23 PM)Velatorix Wrote: Mark, do you think that CH-7 could have been in a state of low rotor rpm which might explain why when he tried to flare that he had no lift left? I don't know though, the whole video is strange, it doesn't look like he's in the right profile to me for an auto, and personally I can't see much coning at all on the blades at any time before he impacts the ground. Maybe he was hovering or at a low airspeed when he had a problem and had to dive for airspeed? But I don't know if it was a real auto or just one for practice. It's just strange.

Sorry, I know this is an old topic but to ad my view of this CH-7 crash video, and even if i am a newbie (25hrs), from what i can see, he is going into a nose-dive which is not really the way you want to be in an auto... may be he is an airplane used pilote... Anyway, thank's he is alive ! For the rest, the video about this topic is awsome !  Mosquito fans, there are lots of materials on the net to music/mix to make something huge about the most safe heli in the world... ;-)
(01-25-2017, 10:40 PM)Frederic Moreau Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 07:23 PM)Velatorix Wrote: Mark, do you think that CH-7 could have been in a state of low rotor rpm which might explain why when he tried to flare that he had no lift left? I don't know though, the whole video is strange, it doesn't look like he's in the right profile to me for an auto, and personally I can't see much coning at all on the blades at any time before he impacts the ground. Maybe he was hovering or at a low airspeed when he had a problem and had to dive for airspeed? But I don't know if it was a real auto or just one for practice. It's just strange.

Sorry, I know this is an old topic but to ad my view of this CH-7 crash video, and even if i am a newbie (25hrs), from what i can see, he is going into a nose-dive which is not really the way you want to be in an auto... may be he is an airplane used pilote... Anyway, thank's he is alive ! For the rest, the video about this topic is awsome !  Mosquito fans, there are lots of materials on the net to music/mix to make something huge about the most safe heli in the world... ;-)

I tried those links and it says video deleted, from youtube. Are there some updated links?
(01-27-2017, 03:45 PM)jb92563 Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 10:40 PM)Frederic Moreau Wrote:

I tried those links and it says video deleted, from youtube. Are there some updated links?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDSiAPQOcI