Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil DOES Make a Difference!
Lots of folks are always asking which oil is best for a 2-stroke engine. While almost any 2-stroke oil will lubricate the engine and keep it running, there is a difference when it comes to several other characteristics that pilots desire. Price, carbon-buildup, wear prevention and longevity, general internal cleanliness, etc.

When I was big in the Mini-500 about 1997, Rotax and Lockwood in Florida teamed up to do a VERRRY objective test.

They put 4 BRAND NEW/UN-RUN Rotax 503's on a single test stand, at the same time, so that 1 throttle operated all 4 engines at the same time. All 4 had the exact same prop, and used the same fuel. From the very first start and break-in procedure, all 4 engines were run identically and at the same time.

They ran each engine with a different oil. For hundreds of hours. At exactly the same throttle and load, at the same RPM and atmospheric conditions.

Then the engines were all torn down and inspected.

I'm gonna link the article that came out back then in Kitplanes.

http://www.powerchutes.com/oil.pdf
They wrote this in 1994 and 18 years after, it's still applicable for us:
"Gasoline containing alcohol (ethanol and/or methanol) should not be used ...
Alcohol-containing fuels can absorb water and separate from the gasoline.
Rotax also recommends “de-carboning” the engine after every 50 hours of operation."
Regis,
Are you asking? The concepts that DO still apply even if some of the others may not...
Some oils keep the inside of the engine cleaner...some oils leave more by-products of combustion behind...some oils (synthetics) cost more but lubricate just as well at 50 or 60 or 70 to one...buildup of deposits in the ring groove create sticking...uneven buildup of excess deposits on the underneath of the piston creates vibration...

THE ENGINE MANUFACTURER'S GUIDANCE SHOULD ALWAYS BE FOLLOWED WHEN DECIDING WHAT IS RIGHT IN YOUR SITUATION.

That's why I liked what Dwight (and others) had to say on this matter a while back. Even though he doesn't "manufacture" the engine, he know's a fair bit about it.

For those who missed it: http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbb...p;posts=28

Richard, NZL  /// C? Test Dummy \\\  "I used to be a hang-glider pilot. Yeah, I remember that... day!"