Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When should I start training???
Hey guys I'm 14 and I am very intrested in getting my private pilot license for rotorcraft. Factoring in that I have the finances when do you think I should start training???

PS: I'm being taught rc planes right now.
I wouldn't start until you know you have the time and money to complete the training. So many people, myself included, start training get busy with other things and it takes longer and longer, which in turn costs you more money. I hope this is helpful and maybe you can learn from my past mistakes. I would definetly get ground training material now and start reading and understanding it. That way when you are ready to start your flight training you will have that out of the way. Good luck.
what would you think of this for a ground school?
I agree with previous advice, when you are ready with time and money after you have properly done your homework on requirments involved fly as often as you can. You will be much more efficient in the learning process and financially.
Ok. What do you think of the online ground school I posted above???

While the e-based learning program you are enquiring about is probably worthy, you don't necessarily have to spend $200 to start embarking on helicopter ground school. I would recommend that you start by downloading the FAA Rotorcraft Handbook (FREE) by clicking on the link on the left side of this webpage. The handbook is a good place to start in learning the mechanics and aerodynamics of rotorcraft which is somewhat more complicated than that of fixed-wing.

This forum is a good place to post any questions you may have on the subject. Members are always happy to help.  Beware that you may get multiple opinions to the same question and MUST seek out the facts that are backed up in what you have learned in the books.

As a matter of fact I already read that.

I am excited for you! My experience is, when a young person from a family with financial means, gets the aviation bug THAT early, they either wind up being a career military pilot or flying big jets for the airlines.

Read all of the FAA free handbooks. They are all pertinent and informative. Get used to being a "conformist." The easiest path to a professional flying job is to follow the tire tracks of the ones who went before. Getting all of your ratings is not the time to think outside the box.

Christmas is coming and the Sporty's Pilot Shop series called "So You Want To Fly Helicopters?" done by Don Fairbanks is good for a present Volume I and II.

Home Computer flight simulators these days are phenomenal and you might consider trying one. Young folks pick this stuff up at lightening speed. I would say start as soon as you can drive yourself to the airport.
I am actually not planning on being a pilot as a career as much as I want to be a mechanical engineer and be a pilot more as a hobby for fun.
Would you know of any links for computer simulators?