Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque Meter for very light helicopters
Yes, I did look at the fuel level light and I like it as well but the NyRod torque meter takes the cake!
bryancobb - 10/10/2012 6:30 PM

Hawk,
All your knowledge is kind of like the teacher on Charlie Brown. Smile ...

BOY! Did I ever sound like a JERK here! That smiley face was suppose to make it seem light-hearted and funny, but it wasn't very effective!
I'm sorry HAWK!
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad...
Here's where I got the idea. We had a similar DUFUS Indicator on the TH-55 Pedals.
I'm in the "short-rows" finishing up the assembly of my new helicopter. ( for you city-folk. "short-rows" means that in farming, the rows in the center of the field are very long. As you get nearer to being DONE plowing, and you are getting toward the edges of the field, the rows get shorter and shorter. )

I'm going to get some Ny-Rod and a Dwyer pressure gauge or similar so I have low-fuel-warning at 2 gallons, and the pedal position indicator.
I love the educational value in all your discussions ..... I have a question. What is the purpose of a torque meter?

Joey
Since torque is a representation of energy being produced by the engine, a meter will be a visual representation of that engines productivity A.K.A. health.

It will also help in some emergencies to have a quick glance of what power the aircraft is requesting.

A pilot can determine his engines health based on the torque required to hover at a given height based on FAT/OAT and PA.

One can also use such info from their IGE hover torque requirement to determine max hover height. This is important if your engine is slowly over time becoming less efficient. Holding a 10 ft hover in the past under a given temp and PA may not be the case if the engine loses health. One can base their ability to hover higher off of the torque reading at a lower IGE hover.

It can also be used to train minimum power takeoffs using a low torque setting.

That is just a few benefits to such info
With the mosquito engine always operating at the same rpm range, could a throttle position sensor do the job for estimating the engines percentage power requested/available?
Sure that can be used, but what he postulates wouldn't measure just the engine's torque but the aircrafts reaction to it. If I wanted longevity on parts, I would generate a threshold for torque on aircraft parts. A throttle position would differ for a given amount of torque produced by an engine based on PA and Temp. A higher PA may require more throttle just to produce 70% torque. A lower PA would use less throttle to produce 70% torque. So with this situation, throttle isn't the best way to measure Newton Meters that an aircraft might experience.

Thanks for the explanation . That's what I needed.
Here's an intuitive way to see the value of a torque indicator:

Imagine you are driving a standard transmission car at 55 MPH on an undulating road with cruise control set. As long as the transmission stays in the same gear, the engine RPM will be almost constant. The speed will be almost constant. The throttle position will vary with steepness of the hill you are momentarily going up or down. Power output and fuel consumption will vary.

If you pile 8 people or more gas in the car, versus solo/empty, that will change fuel consumption and throttle position. If you keep piling weight on, or the hills get steeper, eventually, there will not be enough horsepower to go up the hill, and even though the cruise control applies full throttle, RPM will begin falling and speed will bleed-off.

Getting in this situation (RPM bleed-off at full throttle / overpitching) in a helicopter is dangerous and sometimes fatal.

Now imagine the car having an instrument that let you know when you were GETTING CLOSE TO the weight or grade of hill where you run out of power. If you had that capability in a helicopter, safety would significantly improve. If you knew you about to overpitch the rotor BEFORE doing it, you could prevent it before it gets dangerous.

Helicopter instruments that provide this information accurately to the pilot are expensive and complicated.
My simple one provides "fairly accurate" information for less than $10, less than 1/4 pound, and can be installed in 10 minutes.