Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 stroke engine.
This looks like a nice 4 stroke candidate.
New version is now claimed to deliver 93 hp, weight is 48 kg (106 lbs) included exhaust, radiator and oil tank.

http://www.d-motorusa.com/videos/
http://www.d-motor.eu/

Cant see any information about running in an upright position, .... :o

They mention in this video that it is wet sump, so does that mean it won't run upright??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSQcDntrQ...r_embedded

Richard, NZL  /// C? Test Dummy \\\  "I used to be a hang-glider pilot. Yeah, I remember that... day!"
Probably it will run in any position with modifications. A lot of early helicopter engines had dry sumps.
Rob 1

Richard I sent you a PM
Been looking at this engine for a while. They still seem to be in the relatively early stages of marketing. It would have to be modified for vertical operation for sure and the cost is not low. We'll keep an eye on it though.
Hello again!
Sorry not to introduce myself in a proper way, before posting on the forum!
I am 51 years old and I'm living in Norway. Unfortunately, I niether own or fly a helicopter,the only rating I have, is for paraglider.... Smile
Anyway, I have great interest in helicopters and gyros, and I read and study a lot. I have been following the Rotorway and Helicycle for years, Rotorways nice looking, many issues and complex driveline, Helicycle, great potensial, but very high fuel consumption for european fuel prices..
The Mosquito seems to be the best option among the kit copters, fantastic to see autos to the ground demostrated, very clean look, proven driveline and rotorsystem. Smile
If it could only be delivered with a 4 stroke engine, the popularity would increased even more!
I know that John and Dwight are hard working on this, as well as the new 2-place machine, Smile
I'll stay tuned, and wait in excitement for what's showing up! Smile

Kjell A Grimås, Norway.

Hope to make it Oshkosh to see the ships in real, and maybe meet some of you! Smile
Hi, you are abolutely right. I have been in love with small helis for long time although i do fly Robinsons all the time. Mosquitos are the best for being simpler but need a 4 stroke. I live in Guatemala city at 5,000 ft elev and enjoy 30 to 50 miles flights to lake Atitlan or Quetzaltenango where i must climb to 9,500 ft to go over the pass. Theoretically an XE3 would do it specialy because i weight 150 pounds. But i don't want to learn how to jet and re-jet the carbs to do that. 4 stroke is the way. Sorry to say, i see the XET as a fad.
Regards,
Jorge Deman
Hello everyone, my first post, I've just registered on this forum.

This engine is a marvel - there is one flying not far away from where I live, unfortunately installed on a fixed wing, nevertheless I will contact the owner to get a first hand experience with it.

Here is a re-print for D-Motor web-site - it looks like it is a dry-sump forced lubrication and fuel-injection - hence it would not matter if it is installed vertically.

The weight of the engine completely installed with liquids is 56 to 57 kg depending on installation.
In this weight does not include the engine mount or propeller.
The actual TBO time is 1500 hours.
The mounting points are the same as those for the Jabiru engines.

Type
D- motor LF 26

Class
Microlight aircraft

Engine
Four cylinders, four stroke, liquid cooled

Displacement -- Stroke -- Compression ratio
2690 cc -- 80 mm -- 8/1

Power
93 HP (68.4KW) at 2930 RPM

Fuel consumption (95 octane, 98 octane or AVGAS)
12 litres at 75% performance

Maximum torque
215 Nm at 2600 RPM

Intake
Multipoint fuel injection

Alternator -- electric starter
25 Amp -- 1.1 KW integrated

Ignition
Double

IntegratedLubrication : Dry sump with trochoïd pump driven by camshaft
Oil quantity : 2,5 L
Dry weight : 48 kg (with exhaust, radiator and oil tank)

I just received the following email from Alain Dejager, the designer of the D-Engine. I asked if the engine could be mounted vertically. I have also included his attached photo...

The engine has been developed with the idea to mount it vertically in a helicopter named Masquito M80.

The gearbox of the Masquito was to heavy and the idea was to mount the engine vertically with V belt to run main rotor.

We recently developed another solution for helicopter.

The engine you can see in attachment has been made for a helicopter. We do not use the flange side but the side of the alternator because the mounting becomes easier and stronger as the arms can be shorter.

In the part you see at the back of the engine we have integrated the alternator, the centrifugal clutch and the freewheel.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's pretty cool Ricci. Can you email me his contact info please? Thx.

Hey John, I asked the developer the same thing a week ago and sent you the same response and picture as listed above. You may have missed in my email last week.

I think you may be better to contact the "Doc" Bailey at http://www.d-motorusa.com/ because it sounds like he has a few already in the country, and has US distribution rights. Although not sure if he will know much about adapting one for helicopter use... but then that's what your best at!! Smile

He is here talking about them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSQcDntrQG8

Richard, NZL  /// C? Test Dummy \\\  "I used to be a hang-glider pilot. Yeah, I remember that... day!"