Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xet batteries
can anyone give a recommendation for a better battery on the xet. I have two odyssey 545 dry cell from the factory build but don't provide enough power on startup and don't hold a charge.....causing hung starts
I'm not sure if I have the same model Odysseys or not but have you load tested yours? I have experienced a couple hung starts and every time it was because the batteries were not charged enough. After charging them overnight it would start fine. Make sure you are checking the alternator as well to make sure they are recharging in flight. Every few flights I check the battery voltage with a volt meter before starting the turbine and then recheck the voltage after it's running to make sure it's getting charged with more voltage. Other than the couple times the batteries were too low I have never had a problem with the Odysseys. However a few guys have switched to Lithium or Li-ion batteries I believe, which are stronger and far lighter than the Odysseys. I know I have seen a few threads about them on here so just look for those threads and you should find some good info. Good luck
the factory uses the 545 Odysseys in the XET = in the 202 and the 285 the Aerovoltz --http://aerovoltz.com/ I think is what Jesse is referring to
the issue was a weak starter. new starter put in and starts fine. the batteries need to be very strong though so I wiring 4, 16 cell aerovoltz in series and parallel to make sure the voltage doesn't drop too low. it will give me twice the battery reserve and half the weight
I finally got around to changing the batteries to aerovoltz 16 cell (2) for my xet. I am sorry I waited so long. They seem to do a much better job than the odyssey. They hold a voltage of around 25.6 compared to the odyssey at 23.6 which makes a huge difference at startup. The Aerovoltz are double the price but worth it.....and they are a combined 18 lbs lighter. They don't fit quite as good as the odysey because they are more square than rectangle but not a big deal.
kelly - 8/16/2014 3:49 AM

I finally got around to changing the batteries to aerovoltz 16 cell (2) for my xet. I am sorry I waited so long. They seem to do a much better job than the odyssey. They hold a voltage of around 25.6 compared to the odyssey at 23.6 which makes a huge difference at startup. The Aerovoltz are double the price but worth it.....and they are a combined 18 lbs lighter. They don't fit quite as good as the odysey because they are more square than rectangle but not a big deal.

I Ordered some AEROVOLTZ .
get the special balance charger as well so you can insure you don't have internal failure