Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XET Vs 285
Hello all I have been kicking around the idea of picking up one of these machines and numbers are very important to me, I was curious about how much tbo cost were on the XET i saw a post about $5000 for the xe/xel @ 500 hours and see the the XET only recommends a tbo of 2000hrs, so by the time you overhaul the xet once, you will be on the fourth for the piston engines, so the cost of the xet tbo would be a more affordable choice if the rebuild is reasonably close the the piston engines. Thanks and my apologies if this is a repeat topic, I cannot find a search menu on this forum.
The cost you speak about for the XE/XEL vs. the Turbine seem to be a little misleading the way you stated them. Many of the maintenance points performed on the XE's must also be performed on the turbine. You must look at the cost difference in fuel (jet A vs 92 octane or 100 LL.). You also must consider the cost of maintenance which will vary depending on if you build your bird or have it built for you.

I built my XE285 with this in mind. I am about to apply for my Repairman's certificate. This means since I built at least 51% of the building of my bird, I will be able to maintain it and also perform the Annual inspection on it. How much will an AP mechanic charge you to work on your bird? I have no real problem working on a 2 stroke engine, but would have some reservation about ripping into a turbine engine! This is another job that the AP must do and charge you for.

If these costs don't really matter then have someone build you an XET and go fly. If saving on fuel (8 GPH vs 5.5+ GPH) and maintenance is your bag build yourself an XE285. Both have nearly the same performance. The main difference it the turbine "whine"! Guys love it but I can forgo that sound for long term savings.

Just my opinion.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Okay thanks for the input, I realize that both of these aircraft are similar it many ways and wast not trying to say that regular maintenance wouldn't be required, am simply trying to get a number for tbo cost of the turbine engine XET which states on the website a 2000 hour rebuild time, vs the 500 hour of the 2 strokes
The major overhaul interval for the Mosquito (Air and XE) is 500 hours.  The turbine has an 'on condition' inspection at 2000 hours, I am told.  The supply of turbines may also be dwindling.  It takes a long time to compile 500 hours.
The 500 hours TBO refers to the 202, the 301, and not the Inntec 800. The Inntec 800 info will soon be posted by John.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

I was refering to the 500 hour ship overhaul (bearings, belts, blades) also, but didn't state it very well.
According to John 285 "TBO will still be 500 hours"
Richard, NZL  /// C? Test Dummy \\\  "I used to be a hang-glider pilot. Yeah, I remember that... day!"