Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TF/ETL
Here is the article Mark wanted us to all read. Very interesting.

http://www.justhelicopters.com/ArticlesN...chool.aspx

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

(07-17-2015, 05:03 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: Doug,

I spoke to Mark Thompson for about 40 minutes today. He stated once I pass through TF and ETL then I would get airspeed registration. He is sending me an article that I will post for him. He too is having problems getting back on the forum. 

Michael

Hi Michael,
Could you get Mark to make contact with me?
I'll get his account on the new forum working for him!
Email me: sales@mosquitohelicopters.com.au
-Mosquito sales and services Down Under-
Not a problem.
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

OK, I have been told " take baby steps". So I have been doing that and it has paid off. For the past two days I have been pushing through ETL and starting to climb out to about 80' but only maxed out at 45mph. Yes the airspeed comes alive once TF. Today was my longest continuous time running, 1 hour. I know I need to increase my airspeed, it is a big priority because if I have an engine failure I need to have enough speed to initiate an auto.  

This is so much fun, but I hesitate to relax yet. Working hard on recognizing engine pitch so I can keep my head out of the cabin, but still need to monitor temps. Still small adjustments to make but only small ones. Baby steps, not getting in a hurry, and staying on top of the maintenance seems to be working. That's why it is called "Experimental".

Have fun everyone,

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

It may be a little late to chime into this thread, but I guess someone might find my two cents useful.  I'm definitely not the most experienced mosquito pilot, but I've got a couple thousand hours of helicopter time.  I also realize that no machine is going to behave exactly like the next, especially in the mosquito world.  My 285 does have a slight vibration when transitioning into forward flight. (ETL, transverse flow and such) Having said that, I would not consider it to be a significant vibration.  I really only notice the vibration when I look down at the skids.  I think that the size of the aircraft might cause some to think that the vibration is greater than actuality. Being that the mosquito is such a small aircraft, the pilot has a much more intimate proprioceptive relationship with the ship.  Also, I suppose the fact that you are flying an aircraft that you built will cause anyone to second guess even the smallest vibration or noise.  In regards to the airspeed questions, I find that the lowest reading I usually get is somewhere between 16-20 mph.

-Z-