Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CANADIAN LICENCE REQUIRMENTS FOR EITHER MODEL
Get that petition rolling and you'll have 1000 signatures in less than a day I'm figuring. I think it's an absolute crock that you need a private helicopter licence to fly this amazing little machine. Especially when it's alright to take out a conventional wing ultralight with no experience and kill yourself.

Dealing with Transport Canada is a pain in the you know what....so changing it will be (i don't want to say impossible) but pretty close.

But seriously, if someone wants to buy an ultralight helicopter and try to fly it without any training that should be his choice. Especially when they let people do it with fixed wing ultralights

So that was just a little rant on how i feel about Canada's licencing requirements. Now my question

Do you have any idea what the requirements are like in Australia. As I plan on moving there in the near future. That is, after i buy my Mosquito
Hi WackoPilot,
In Australia you need a full helicopter licence to fly any helicopter, We are working to get a microlight class recognised as we have here in New Zealand.
WHY MUST I LIVE IN OR WANT TO LIVE IN ALL THE COUNTRIES THAT REQUIRE A FULL HELICOPTER LICENCE TO FLY THIS AMAZING MACHINE.

BLAST Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

lol
Ok, let me throw a monkey wrench in this. I am an American living in Canada (14-years). I have an unrestricted US and Canadian private pilots license. What does that give me? Can I just purchase one in the US, park it there, and then when I want maybe jump across the border, back and forth every now and then, or will I have to stay in US airspace?
John,
Wondering if you have any updates from 4/17/2006 on ammending Canadian regs?

I have researched Cnd. licencing and heli flight traing, and it appears like training schools are few and far between as well as too expensive for most rec single person applications. It makes one very envious of our good neighbors to the south with their more user freindly regs and more affodable training.

With the rapid advances in innovation and technology in recreational rotorcraft, perhaps now is the time for more enthusiasts to step forward and try to help fellows like John to achieve changes in our system.

I realize trying to change gov't regs can be frustrating and painfully slow. I have 15 years experience in policy development, regulatory amendments, and lobbying(mostly agriculture related) with various government departments (provincial and national) both at the beaurcratic and political levels. Also have a good resource person in the innovation/technology industry.

Long story ..short. My experiance has shown that a few people with a well thought out, properly developed and presented position can at times have a dramatic influence on laws and regulations. It is almost scary when you experience it.

John, I offer you any assistance I might be of help with and encourage others to come forward.

Garth.
Garth,

I've done very little since I'm caught up in several other things right now. I would be more that happy to have your help especially with your experience. Email me and let me know how we can get something going.

John
Has there been any news or setup yet for a petition to Transport Canada. I don't know what I would have to sign or if you want my first born to do it, but we Canadians really do need this copter classified as a ultralight.
I am new to this forum, just wondering if there has been any progress in the liscenceing of ultra light helicopters in Canada ? Boy, would I love to get into a mosquito , but with training at $30k, I'll be left to choose between a liscence or a heli. Neediness to say, I would like to participate in a petition.

Joey
mosquito - 4/21/2006 12:40 PMDen, Sure, get about 1000 people to sign a petition saying single seat helicopters should qualify as an ultralight and have their own 10 or 15 hour training requirement which can be done in a 2 place homebuilt helicopter. That's what I'm pushing for. The training cost would go from about $25000 to about $4000.Skoal, I can sell you a helicopter. Training and registering are your responsibility.

john, is that $25,000 number correct? 
Training in Canada is very expensive, not sure why. It costs $400-$500 per hour here. Minimum required training time without a fixed wing license is 45 hours so at $450 per hour that's over 20K. But most pilots take 50+ hours so its more. You can get it reduced to 30 hours if you have a fixed wing license but it still takes most pilots over 40 hours anyway. Then there's a commercial license that takes 100 hours minimum, but that's another story... Bottom line is its incredibly expensive. I haven't lobbied yet but now that France has adopted a new ultralight helicopter regulation as a result of Regis' efforts we will have a precedent set that we could use here, but I'm sure they'll want to watch it for a while. Hopefully it will catch on in the rest of Europe as well.