Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 stroke engine
Mr. Uptigrove,
I'm sure you've considered the AeroTwin engine, that powers the Airscooter II, for a possible 4 stroke conversion of you excellent Mosquito aircraft. I understand at 90 lbs. (dry) it's a bit heavy, but with the ability to mount vertically it would seem a near perfect engine. No heavy 90 degree gearbox needed. It's stated 65 horsepower, at 4200rpm, would require a different pulley ratio, but that isn't a major problem. Possibly a minimum carbon fiber body would still let it meet the Part 103 regs.
Just wanted to hear your ideas. I hope in Sept to be ordering one of your kits.
Please keep up the excellent working, keeping alot of aviation dreams alive!!!

TexEod
Tex,

It is the near perfect engine in many ways but the interface they gave us is definitely not ideal so we are trying to work around that. They are willing to work with us and make changes to the engine as necessary so that is very helpful. Hopefully we will be able to work something out soon as I would definitely like to offer this engine as an option.
During my phone conversation with Dwight yesterday, he said receipt of the Aero Twin engine is expected soon. The crankshaft had to be groung by the Aero Twin people to interface with the Mosquito clutch assembly. This was a custom effort, but can be done on the production line once the parameters on the custom crank prove to be proper.

Later,
Eddy
You are right Eddy. The pto was the biggest hurdle and they have agreed to grind that per our spec as well as make some other engine orientation changes to allow it to adapt to the Mosquito. They still haven't mounted the production fan yet so I'm still holding but it should be any day now. I'm definitely looking forward to having this option available as it will have some distinct advantages as well if all goes OK.
I think we are going to have to put a "gag order" on Eddy. He is spoiling all your fun. Wink

mosquito - 1/1/2007 3:40 PM

You are right Eddy. The pto was the biggest hurdle and they have agreed to grind that per our spec as well as make some other engine orientation changes to allow it to adapt to the Mosquito. They still haven't mounted the production fan yet so I'm still holding but it should be any day now. I'm definitely looking forward to having this option available as it will have some distinct advantages as well if all goes OK.
Yea Eddy, you're stealing all my thunder. LOL.
Hey John,
I appologize, didn't intend to steal your thunder. Guess I was so pumped about the AeroTwin and the hover of the XET that I had to share.

In the future, I'll try to restrain myself! LOL!

This could be the most important year of the Mosquito yet!

Happy New Year!!!
Eddy
Eddy.....I'm sure everyone appreciates the information......but most people take news the wrong way. They think because the turbine is hovering....it will be ready to deliver in the next month. Which we should all know...probably won't happen. Testing for safety takes time, and a lot of effort.

Just be patient......great things are worth waiting for.
Last Thursday Mr. Dwaine Barnes, president of Air Scooter, was kind enough to return my call. He answered several questions I had about the motor and I thought I would pass them on. One of my concerns was the ability to cool the engine with the amount of horsepower that was being generated, especially in a helicopter. There web site had talked about using an electric motor to pull air through the engine. I was unsure of this approach given the small output of the alternator. He said that the engine shrouding had been redesigned with a direct drive fan that had been tested on the Air Scooter. He said they had originally used a cheap fan that had not been effective but had switched to a better fan and had tightened up on the clearance from the shrouding to the engine. Recent tests had proven the cooling to be very effective. I also asked about what effectiveness of the turbo was at altitude and he stated that the Aerotwin would maintain rated horsepower up to 8000 ft. He also said that if a customer was at a high elevation most of the time that the waste gate could be adjusted to compensate for that higher altitude. He told me that the computer is able to maintain a record of its operating parameters to help with diagnosing any problems. One other question I had was about the method used to determine the proper fuel injection timing for mixture control. I was told that the engine has an oxygen sensor that is used to adjust the injector timing which should provide a better fuel mixture control than those that just use a lookup table instead. I ask about the reason for rating the engine at 4200 rpm and was told that they thought by keeping the rpm lower that they could reduce the noise level for the pilot setting just in front of the engine and that 4200 rpm and 65hp met there design goals. He told me that the engine was designed to run as high as 8500 rpm and that it was also capable of producing 80 horsepower. He also told me that the Air Scooter had used the MZ202 engine for testing but felt that they needed to use a four stoke engine and that they could only get 55HP out of the MZ202 on there dyno. So it sounds like a 20% increase in power with the Aerotwin motor over the MZ engine and no mixing of gas. The Aerotwin, I was told, should also be about 30% more efficient with its gas consumption helping on range. I also asked several questions about the motor as it pertains to the Mosquito but won't elaborate before John gets a chance to comment. Current plans were to send 30 motors to manufacturers and then start sending the next group of 200 engines to customers in March.
That was very informative.....I appreciate your post sharing the information about the aerotwin, maybe John could add to that.

It looks as if the Mosquito will have plenty of power with the new engine.

I'll be glad to see the results after installation and testing.