Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACTUAL AUTOROTATION(s)
I've seen the comment saying the Mosquito can autorotate. As a probable future buyer, I'm more interested in discussion about real autorotations which have actually been performed.
Like:
1. Does it auto well?
2. How easy is it in the Mosquito compared to other helicopters you or others have flown who can give realistic comparisons.
3. Does the rotor provide good inertia performance allowing for more capability to succeed in autos, or is the inertia performance low making the auto a more critical maneuver (more difficult to perform successfully)?
4. Discussion of actual auto experiences is very critical to my personal decision to buy a Mosquito. I know any helicopter will auto, given the physics of rotor systems, but how well a given machine will actually auto is the only really important information needed for a specific machine.

Thanks,
Eddy Thompson
John does an auto in the video and it looks like it has a pretty good glide ratio, at least compared to the Robinson. I would like to see some videos of hovering autos as I think that is a pretty good indicator of blade inertia. Given the 2 cycle engine I have the same concerns.
i didnt see the video about auto. could you give me the directions to see this video ? thanks
In redoing the new video I think I accidentally managed to leave that clip out. I'll have to make sure I get that in there or shoot a few more to put into the new video. Ken Armstrong of Kitplanes wrote some comments on the autorotational characteristics when he watched me do some autos for him prior to his May 2004 article (see the article elsewhere on this site). His comments were that the auto's were "benign" which sounds like a way of saying they are slow paced compared to other machines. There are 1.5 lb weights in the tips which is a lot of weight given the very light disk loading of the Mosquito.
Ed is on the same thought pattern I am. In one of the videos, when the helo is on the ground and the throttle chopped, you can see a definite and immediate slowing of the blades. This would indicate a very low inertia rotor system, which I would expect. So the questions are; what is the actual recommended airspeed to maintain a safe auto, and how does it react to a run-on landing (control and skid structure)?

Thanks,
Stu
Ok John, how about given your "no recovery" rpm? What is the maximum altitude for a hovering auto? What is the recommened approach speed to flare in auto? I just finish watching the Robinson video that is required before solo. They give you 1.1 seconds to enter autorotation before you drop below 80% rotor rpm after which there is no recovery.
I haven't verified a maximum hover auto height by seeing how high I can go before I wreck my landing gear but a hover auto from 5 feet can be landed with no issues. In the pilot manual I have the auto speed set to 40 mph. This is lower than the R22 and others again due to the light disc load. The 1.5 lb tip weights will give you approx 1.5 seconds of response time. I believe the R22 only has 2 lb weights for a machine with nearly 3 times the gross weight.
If the tip weights are the main factor in determining the inertia of a rotor system then why not add more weight? I have been taking lessons in the R22 (14.6 hours) and have seen the down side of the low inertia system. What are the pluses to this system and what would be the down side of a high inertia system. I still am very interested in the Mosquito, for the price you can't beat it.
Blade stress and bearing life. A little weight way out at the tip adds a lot of centrifugal force. Heavier blades, rotor head etc.
I've had professional helicopter pilots tell me that they prefer low inertia blades.

Although they take longer to slow down, the also speed up faster. It's kind of like the difference between driving an SUV and a sports car -- the good drivers prefer the sports car.

Personally, at this point, I'd like lots of inertia.