Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I saw your video Hoyt, how do you like the chopper so far. I may like the low inertia blades after I get some time built up but at this point I am very cautious. Were you running low on gas at the end of your video or were you having some problems with the engine? It sounded like you had one cylinder dropping out. Looks like your having fun I can't wait to get my own machine.
I added the fuel pump that came with the engine because it seemed like air bubbles in the fuel filter and line below it were restricting the fuel flow ( I still don't understand that phenomenon ). I had a stiff nylon tube from the engine to the pump which melted resulting
in some fuel starvation. (1) I didn't think it would get that hot at that place or that the nylon would melt, and (2), I verified that the fuel flows through the pump freely even if it's not powered. In any case, I added a thick rubber fuel hose which should fix that problem.

(It's important that the line to the pump be short and stiff since it's powered by 100 pulses/second vacuum/pressure pulses).
See my website a picture of the fuel pump.

Yes, I'm very happy with the Mosquito, very robust design, very little vibration, and lots of power even here where the density altitude is quite high.
(It was 100oF (38C) at the time of the video. We'll see what it's like when it reaches 122oF (50C) as it has before) (believe it or not,
if you're the least bit moist, it can feel very chilly here as the evaporating water goes below 50oF (10C) ).

The engine was running way below red line temperatures, so I'm not worried.
The difference in the two videos shows quite an improvement in your flying ability. What was your experience before the Mosquito and how many hours have you added up to this point. Please be careful and keep the videos comming. I am concentrating on my autorotations at this point getting ready for my first solo, hopefully in the next month. I am watching your progres with great interest and hope to have my own machine shortly.
There was no flying time among the videos. I haven't flown since then, but soon and I hope it's recorded. There's only 1 hour on the minitach, but it's probably 1.6 or so. I had about 100 hours in Robinson R22 and my Rotorway Scorpion before that, but quite a few years before -- I'm a little rusty. The first video with the "roll bar" on I think the center of gravity was too far back. I think it still is a bit, I'll add another pound on the toe next time (The bar weighs 12 pounds (5.4 Kg) ).

Regarding autorotations -- One thing I realized in the Scorpion was that most landings were effectively autorotations, It's just that there is a big psychological difference between knowing you have power available when desired and not. Much later when I took 30 hours in the R22, the instructors didn't like that method of landing, rather they'd come in very slowly. If they had engine trouble with that kind of approach, they'd be much worse off, so I don't know why that's preferred. I've noticed the same thing for fixed wing pilots -- they like to approach with power rather than setting up the landing so it would work with no power.

I asked my instructor about that same thing. I think in the certified ships they are alot more confident in the engines. The danger in doing a auto style approach is that it is harder to be as exact on your landing spot. You also have a better chance of settling with power with the high angle stops. My instructor also encourages me to cruise at 500' agl. He says that the danger of being hit by another plane is greater then having your engine quit. I guess thats one of the problems that I have with the Mosquito is the engine reliablity. Only from the standpoint of being a two cycle engine. The mixture is providing lubrication and cooling and if its not right you are in trouble. I plan on seeing what John has come up with on the turbine and hopefully a four stroke option.
Hey all of you interested in autorotation capabilities of the Mosquito, check out this post.

I cut and pasted questions and answers from the thread “TURBINE ENGINES” (in General Discussions). Since this is what we all want to know in the thread “ACTUAL AUTOROTATIONS”, I took the liberty of compiling all the pertinent questions and answers and posting them here. The questions are to Andy Redmond, a long time helicopter pilot who currently owns a Mosquito XE. He has many helpful posts in the various forum topics. Inputs from a veteran pilot like Andy will help all of us get comfortable with the issues we want answered. My only question was, in fact Auto capabilities. As soon as I sell my UL amphibian plane, I am buying a Mosquito XEL.

As a retired aerospace engineer, I know the Mosquito is a very well designed and smooth, predicitable performer. The quality is superb, and the engine / drive train package sounds like the engine is not overworking like other UL helicopters I’ve followed over the years. One can easily hear the strain to get every ounce of power out of the other machines. John Uptigrove did a great job designing a helicopter I feel confident in.

I also have a long background in RC helicopter flying and building.
See my current machines at the following site:

GASMAN: Andy, since you are a seasoned veteran helicopter pilot, what is your assessment as to how the mosquito autorotates?

Redmond: Eddy, I feel very comfortable doing autorotations in the Mosquito. The rotor system has a lot of rotor inertia. On every auto that I've done with my Mosquito I've always had more than enough rotor RPM. In fact I've had to pull a little bit of pitch to keep the rotor from overspeeding during decent. For those of you that aren't familiar with what I'm talking about this overspeed is not a bad thing in fact it is a good trait of any helicopter. Having lots of rotor rpm helps you to make safe autorotations and cushion your landings.

SamW: What helicopters have you flown?

Redmond: OH-6's in Vietnam, Oh-58's, UH-1's ( Huey ) CH-46's, CH-54's, T-41 and 42's. I've also worked for the oil companies down in Lousianna for a company called Petroleum Helicopters flying out to the oil rigs for a few years. I didn't quite get a full 20 years active duty but completed it in the reserves.
Newbie to the sport here.
I am going to build a helichair to practice and no way am I going to do this without the minimum 10 hours of flight instruction with a school. With my cautions out of the way this excites me like nothing before. I have been told that between 25 ft and 200 ft is the D-zone. I have read the previous post on auto rotation, but don't as of yet understand everthing completly. My question is at what mimimal hight if you have some kind of an emergency can the mosquito safley allow another day or how high do you have to be to autorotate?

Dreams are only dreams when you don't act on them
sincerely Jim
Autorotatios can be done from just a few inches off the ground to whatever altitude your aircraft can climb to. There are altitudes however that do require more respect. There are some really good web sites that describe autorotations in more detail than I can provide for you here. I can't, at the moment remember there web address but if some of you other readers of this forum have this information could you please post it. And Eddy if your out there I know you can privide us an address.
Hey Andy,
Unfortunately, my harddrive was recently wiped out while I was having some maintenance done. I had all my personal files backed up, but my favorites and my email files were wiped out. The sites I had for helicopters, therefore were lost.

Got no sites to post for ya.

it is funny how you have two different views on one subject with each view being polar oppisites. high inertia rotor systems are, in my opinion (which i have alot of), just as good as low inertia rotor systems. high inertia systems are good because once you build up the energy, it is just a little harder to dissapate that energy. meaning the rotor doesnt slow down that fast when you pull in the collective. but the down side is that if you wait for a horn to go off then your rotor might be to slow already and you better have altitude to get your rotor energy back. low inertia rotor systems are great for weak engines because if you perform a manuever that droops your rotor a little bit, the rotor will speed back up befor you even notice. if you have to enter into an auto with a low inertia rotor system, your rotor will decay very fast, but will come back almost as fast. I had an idea one day flying future army aviators in the simulator that if you increase you velocity square varieable in the lift equation by doing an auto really fast, then you would not need much of a decel and you can fly about eight seconds longer at about ten feet then do your decel and cushion. doing it this way with high speed, you didnt have your total aerodynamic force on your blade as far aft. It is almost verticle meaning almost no drag to slow your rotor down. the low inertia rotor just keeps spinning until you pull a high angle of pitch. this allows me to do an auto with no decel and i can fly around for almost ten seconds. pulling only a little bit of collective and just leveling the aircraft. when my airspeed gets to slow, i decel and land. i prefer a roll-on. when i do a roll-on i never even decel. you guys can run on and do it without spilling your coffee. I fly a blackhawk. out glide path view is our chin bubble. go out and try it a 5000 ft and have a hard deck of 2000 ft. to all of you who like to glide at a slow speed, my advice to you is when you decel, as soon as you stop your rate of decent, level the aircraft and fly it to the groung with as much speed you have left. you will find your rotor is so much more efficient with foward airspeed. if you can land above or as close to ETL as possible, you will have so much rotor left over that you might be able to pick it up again and set it down again. when you come to a stop, you allow wing tip vorticies to consume you rotor system meaning alot of the collective you are pulling is wasted lift. you get very little use out of it. it will also slow your rotor down so fast because of you total aerodynamic force shift so fae aft. total aerodynaic force then acts like a parachute slowing your rotor.
But keep in mind, I DO NOT OWN ONE OF THESE AIRCRAFT. so take all of this with a grain of salt.
p.s. i do not proof read what i write. you have seen it. its way to long to read again> ha ha ha