Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automotive pop rivets?
Greetings everyone! I am new here but have been studying the build photos of Eddys Mad Mosquitio for some time. This of course, has created a myriad of questions, but what concerns me most is [at least from what i can tell from such photos], that the standard "off the shelf" pop rivet is used to assemble the fuselage and other components of the build. My experience background, and specialty is structural mod, fabrication, and repair. However, I have worked on almost every seaplane in existence, and the fortunate experience of working for a Helicopter logging company which included one Sikorsky Skycrane, 3 61's and 3 H500's. Am I wrong about the use of this rivet type, or could this be an area that could be improved, using Cherrymax pull rivets, or even solid bucked rivets in some areas? I know that fiberglass components [i.e. fuselage] cant be assembled using bucked rivets, at least directly, but there is a specific way it is done in the field. I also have designed an improved assembly method of the tail boom to the fuselage [not requiring epoxy!] if anyone is interested. I am looking forward to the day I get to build one! Cheers!

Welcome to the group and to the Mosquito helicopter. I am an A&P/IA also and one of the subjects we are taught is to adhere to the published data for each particular type. I built my Mosquito AIR in 2007 and have 21 hours on it. Although this aircraft is different from the previous 7 fixed wing homebuilts I have made, if built, operated, and maintained I.A.W. the published data set that comes with it, it works and works well. It is so incredibly fun (addicting) to fly and way more fun than a fixed wing. Hope you can get one soon.

Doug Bryant
Cherry Q's on the fuselage

When specifying materials or fasteners I look at the specs of what I am using, not whether it says "aircraft, automotive" or whatever. Most all homebuilt aircraft use automotive engines and thousands are flying reliably. Blind fasteners we use are a very high quality, high strength industrial structural rivet that retains its mandrel to provide shear strength equivalent to a solid rivet. Ask any of the builders that have been forced to set the 1/4" Hemlocks by using bolt cutter type rivetters and I'm sure they'll let you know just how strong they are. All joints have very high design factors with no concerns about weld quality since there are no structural welds.

Thanks for responding! I do agree with you on adhering to published data that comes with any aircraft, and I have been very impressed with the level of saftey in flight with this ship. I can tell it is a blast and I am definitely hooked! Unfortunately I have only been able to study photos, and may cause my observations to be incorrect. In the photos that I had been observing, it appeared that the mandrel-less type pull rivet was used in various applications, of which, for myself, would avoid on any aircraft.
Mr. Mosquito,

Thank you sincerely for your reply! I agree that my terminology was not completely accurate, and you are absolutely correct in reference to specs vs. trade names. You have answered my question about the locking mandrel rivet, of which we commonly have referred to as "Cherrymax" type rivets. I have no doubt of the structural quality of the ship! It is a phenomenal machine, including this website, all of which I have been thoroughly impressed with!

A seperate question for you if you dont mind: When the tail boom assembles to the fuselage, has it been standard assembly to have the bolt heads on the inside, using epoxy to hold them im place? This was the procedure noted/described on one XEL. What do you think about fabricating a ring from .032 sheet with nut plates pre-attached via squeezed flush rivets, matching the bolt pattern, and installing the "nutplate ring" inside the fuselage with either epoxy, or a sealant and 3/32 flush rivets? Drilled head bolts could then be installed from the outside and saftey wired. What is your opinion of this idea, and has this been done on any of the ships? Or perhaps the bolts are too large for nutplates? Thanks for your time! Hopefully I will get to see [build!] one in the near future.