Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Fuels?
Are there any plans for the Mosquito to use alternative fuels? With the price of gasoline going through the roof as of late and the "supply concerns" they keep talking about. How hard would it be to make them run on ethanol or hydrogen. I have seen videos on YouTube where people are making their own hydrogen using tap water and distilled water with setups costing less than $100 USD. Just a though.

Patrick
Patrick,
I am already using a hydrogen fuel cell in my Ford truck that I made and so far I have see about a 25% increase in my fuel mileage. I am also making bio-diesel at a cost of about .65 cents per gallon. As far as being able to use any of this in the Mosquito Helicopters I just don't think it will be feasible. If you have the turbine engine installed you can use a portion of bio-diesel mixed in with the turbine fuel.
Everybody in America does need to install one of these Hydrogen Fuel Cells in your car and I encourage all of you to look into it. My supplier will build you a unit for $70. dollars that you can install yourself.
Andy 850-258-5737
Last week, a person call me on phone, and very seriously say:

" I heard that Innovator-Tech want to test an electrical engine on the Mosquito?"

I answered:

"Not an electrical engine, John is testing an elastic engine...it's work well...gratis flight...
but it take a long time to turn the rotor in back way to tauten the rubber band!"...

Sport and free flight! that the dream Smile

Regis
http://www.mosquito-france.com
Correct, the turbine can run on bio diesel but we don't have any alternatives for the piston engine yet. Be more than happy to look into moving this direction when options that fit the application become available. Its already tough enough trying to stay ultralight with a gasoline engine.
Anyone seen the Electraflyer trike? I'd love to do that but don't think I could get much more than a five minute flight. But better batteries are coming. Amazing how $135/barrel oil propels advancements in other energy sources!
I'm a big fan of the push to electric and other alternate fuels and follow several green car/energy sites daily. Trouble is its a bit tougher in a chopper. I'm making a small electric dune buggy for my son that I hope to have done this summer. Should be a lot of fun!
Here is a presentation made at OSH in 2009, by Swift Fuels. Their goal is the replacement of 100LL.

Sorry - file is too large to upload, so, go here and read about Swift -> http://www.swiftenterprises.net/index.html

The actual presentation is at: http://www.swiftenterprises.com/Document...202009.pdf
The "fuel" situation is still changing. Here is a link to an FAA rule making proposal. It's a long read, but the implications are clear, 100LL is a health hazard and will be eliminated.

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/h...6480ae1788

For many, it's a so what, ethanol laced auto fuel is just fine.

No it's not!

It works, but it's corrosive, reduces power, leaves water vapor inside your engine after shutdown, and deteriorates the resin in fiberglass. Other than those things?

In many parts of the US there are no readily available alternatives to 100LL, and that's not an ideal solution for 2 stroke engines anyway, better than ethanol but still not that great. Ideas folks? We need to be looking!
tcurl - 5/9/2010 10:38 PM

The "fuel" situation is still changing. Here is a link to an FAA rule making proposal. It's a long read, but the implications are clear, 100LL is a health hazard and will be eliminated.

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/h...6480ae1788

For many, it's a so what, ethanol laced auto fuel is just fine.

No it's not!

It works, but it's corrosive, reduces power, leaves water vapor inside your engine after shutdown, and deteriorates the resin in fiberglass. Other than those things?

In many parts of the US there are no readily available alternatives to 100LL, and that's not an ideal solution for 2 stroke engines anyway, better than ethanol but still not that great. Ideas folks? We need to be looking!

Tom all of the above objections are true. But.
But I'm with the guy who said in the panic about Global warming:no no
in the panic about global cooling. no no
in the panic about the hole in the ozone layer. no no.
in the panic bout the oil running out. no no.
in the panic about the world running out of food.

YES that was it! He said that a town of 10 000 people could be fed from the ground area of a football field, if you cut out the cow and sheep elements.

His point was that human energy and intelligence will overcum apparent disasters. I'm with that guy.

Yes ethanol will dissolve our tanks- but we can seal them internally.
Yes ethanol may seperate out water from petroleum- but we can build in a circulation pump.
Yes ethanol has less energy-but we can build bigger tanks and engines.

Doncha wish that we had Orville and Wilbur able to post on these forums??? And do not forget the sister who used act as their Moderator!

Rob
Happy Days! EF (Ethanol Free) premium is available in Oregon once again! I found the one station in Grants Pass that can sell it! Stupid 2008 LAW mandates ALL gas pumped be 10% ethanol! If it makes them feel good burning alcohol in their engines to save the earth, fine, but don't force me to do it. I feel better drinking it, not screwing up my helicopter engine with it. Screw the earth, it's not trying to save me!
Yep Larry ! Also with you ! We still have some EF (sp98) in Europe for how long time ??I'm doing some testing...don't buy BP it's the worst quality, for the moment, that i have tested...

Look after 24 hours and after 8 days of rest, with water, what BP "98" looks like...beurkkk!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)