Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio Interference
I have a mgl V6 in my XEL, I realized there's a lot of information in here about RF interference. However I have no reception nor can I transmit at all when my engine is running. If anyone could tell me what settings they are using on theirs for squelch and vox I would appreciate it
This is my next challenge. Too much interference! Did not know I could not communicate till I had other pilots around.
I will need to communicate if I am to have a $50 hamburger (not $100 due to a less expensive operating cost)!
Keep us informed.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

(05-23-2017, 05:32 PM)FlyGuy Wrote: This is my next challenge. Too much interference! Did not know I could not communicate till I had other pilots around.
I will need to communicate if I am to have a $50 hamburger (not $100 due to a less expensive operating cost)!
Keep us informed.

Michael

So you can call in your Burger order while in the air?   Tongue

I just thought that was funny because my local airport CA89 does that.  Its funny to hear the Skydive drop plane ordering a Ham sandwich and then call back a few times with revisions to the toppings and drinks.
And to top it off the long transmissions are making the planes in the pattern for landing wait to transmit their intentions.

The RF interference issues must mostly be due to the engine CDI, although I'm surprised to learn that the MGL instruments are also contributing some interference.

I wonder if additional shielding on the antenna cables could help, like a metal braided tube that the antenna cable could run through. 

Perhaps a visit to the ham forums will get a quick answer as those guys just love solving tricky problems. http://www.hamuniverse.com/rfi.html

I thought the mention of an EMF shielding spray might be interesting as you could spray the entire interior of the Mosquito and make the fiberglass shell itself an EMF shielding box which you could then ground to the engine block.
Ray
jb92563,

I wish you had a name. This noise issue is a pain. I would not order in flight, but would be flying into Class D airspace to get a tasty burger.
I will check out the ham forum to see some of their solutions. The spray you mentioned sounds interesting. When I was building my bird
electrical was my biggest fear. I had heard several pilots speak about radio interference. Come to think of it when I have my transponder
active (other than standby mode) I can hear a pulse when the interrogation light illuminates. This is going to be a pain!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

(05-25-2017, 04:55 PM)FlyGuy Wrote: jb92563,

I wish you had a name. This noise issue is a pain. I would not order in flight, but would be flying into Class D airspace to get a tasty burger.
I will check out the ham forum to see some of their solutions. The spray you mentioned sounds interesting. When I was building my bird
electrical was my biggest fear. I had heard several pilots speak about radio interference. Come to think of it when I have my transponder
active (other than standby mode) I can hear a pulse when the interrogation light illuminates. This is going to be a pain!

Michael

I feel like a Genie granting a wish. Added a signature, so now I have a name everywhere I've been...cool.

Electrical issues are always a pain as its one of those things that you can't see because most of us don't have the right diagnostic tools.
Although one fella has those oscilloscope readings which is great confirmation that stuff you are trying is having a measurable effect.

I wonder how the military shields their stuff from EMI.
Ray
I wonder how the military shields their stuff from EMI.

With taxpayer dollars!
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

(05-31-2017, 07:11 PM)FlyGuy Wrote: I wonder how the military shields their stuff from EMI.

With taxpayer dollars!

LOL, good one!

I guess if we want to have that kind of fun we should join them and follow the money.

I think the civilian contractors are always inventing new stuff and convincing the military that they will get an leg up on others buy paying for these expensive things.

I know a contractor who sold battle field deployable recon drones to the military.  Now he has his own jet to fly around in, instead of his motorglider. Nice!
Ray
(08-06-2016, 06:19 PM)Richard Italia Wrote: I have a mgl V6 in my XEL, I realized there's a lot of information in here about RF interference. However I have no reception nor can I transmit at all when my engine is running. If anyone could tell me what settings they are using on theirs for squelch and vox I would appreciate it

Not sure if I have the same problem with my 285. . I can transmit and receive on the ground with the engine not running and can understand the transmissions at idle. I am working on the settings. The noise at power is overcoming the mic. So I am adjusting the mic level down and vox settings up. I will needed to get with another person with a radio to understand if I am making progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chamberlain,

You pretty much stated the same thing that is happening to me. Once I am at operating RPM, I can understand a little but can't be understood. I am talking to an avionics guy who knows his stuff, I just have to save more money to get him out to look at the problem. At 6000 RPM I can be on the ground or flying and talk into the mic. and everything sounds fine to me, but whoever is listening on a radio can't understand anything and I can barely understand them. It is frustrating but it could be worse.

I believe it is an ignition/electromagnetic problem. It is visible when a GoPro is mounted to the outside of the fuselage. You can see the picture oscillate with changes in engine RPM and finally stabilizes at operating power. I will keep you updated if I make any progress.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)

That gopro jello video is from the rolling shutter that gopros have. Isolate the vibrations and you will see improvement.

http://www.diyphotography.net/everything...g-shutter/