Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manned Drone
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...-taxi.html
Cool!  You had to know it was just a matter of time.   Short flights will still be the limitation so probably not very practical yet.  But if they can ever get lithium air batteries working then we may see lots of these from all sorts of manufacturers.
Jim,

Many more issues to be addressed: Collision avoidance and the big one, engine out/malfunction ( like the drone that crashed behind a skier while filming the competition ). Everyone wants to fly but very few want to put forth the effort to learn. This reminds me when it was said that every garage would have a flying car in it. If you look how people drive, I am glad that we don't have flying cars. People would be falling from the sky left and right.

Technology will improve and drones will carry folks. Just don't want them bursting into flames like the new "Hover Boards"! I guess I am too old school. I need to know how to fly what ever vehicle I am in.

Wonder what is costs and how much they charge for a commute?

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Michael,

I'm just the messenger, I thought this was interesting. I'm neither for or against it right now. It's to earlier to tell how it would work out. You said you need to know how to fly what ever vehicle your in. Flying in a drone may be safer than you think. When you fly in a commercial jet the pilot uses auto pilot for the majority of the flight. So you already have been flying in a drone, just a larger version. Drones don't drink or fall asleep from being overworked either. This reminds me of the car that drives itself. Now if they could just make a computer that would teach a teen how to turn off the lights when your not in that room !

Jim
Jim, 

I didn't mean to come off too negative.The concept is truly interesting. I understand what you are saying about commercial flights, but at least there are controls that you can use to override the autopilot. Then again, I should not assume that there are not controls in the drone. But if it had controls it wouldn't be a drone. I don't care for cars that drive themselves either.

I guess I am overthinking the whole matter.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

I too find myself against this technology, at least until some key flaws are addressed and proven to be protected against. The biggest issue I see with this sort of thing is terrorism. Not only the aspect of payload delivery, but simply hacking into the computer controlling the drone and crashing them with a person inside. The same goes with the self driving cars. In a perfect world these things would be amazing and utterly utilitarian. I absolutely hate driving and would love to hop in a car that could guide me to my destination autonomously. However, we have people in this world that make it their goal in life to see the world burn. I don't see myself ever climbing into an autonomous car, and definitely not an aircraft. I fully understand that commercial aviation utilizes an autopilot system most of the time. I fly for the Army and for an EMS company. In both of hose realms we also utilize an autopilot,and I have seen these systems fail numerous times and require human intervention. I think that one day the technology might get advanced and robust enough to support these ventures, but I doubt it will be within several decades. It will take that long for the FAA to develop all of the legislation to govern the things too!

In no way do I mean for this to sound like an attack on anyone, just sharing my thoughts on the subject...

-Z-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a more detailed video of the drone. Once again I'm just posting it because I found it interesting...that's all. I'm wearing a bullet proof vest, so if you need to shoot the messenger go right ahead. 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=938...eo&theater
Uber Taxi, interesting.

The airspace control and Liability insurance costs alone will probably make that 15 minute taxi ride cost around $500+.

I can think of a lot of ways to go 5-10 miles for less without taking such a huge risk factor along for the ride.

Based on all the modes of failure for model drones, which I have a few, the risk to life is far too great to make it practical in any way yet.

It is an interesting foray into a somewhat new technology though, scaling up.

Let see what happens with Amazon Drone Parcel delivery first and work out the issues and then see where that goes.

I personally think air is not the best medium for transportation but no one has had luck with gravity forces as propulsion yet.
Ray