Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anonymous
After seeing my latest video I was given some good advice. It is nice to critique yourself after a flight and figure out what you need to do better. It is more rewarding when a pilot that you have the utmost respect for states exactly what you were thinking. 

Just remember when rotor/engine rpm increase after going through ETL pull more collective and use that available power to increase climb/acceleration rate. Do not lower throttle to decrease takeoff performance. Make takeoff profile outside the dead man's curve. When flying always make sure you have enough height to ensure autorotational glide distance to a suitable landing area.... and while you are at it tack on a few hundred more feet to increase your decision time and therefore options. Why only have the altitude to just make it to your intended point of landing because surely something can change (like the wind) to ruin that plan.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

(02-18-2016, 11:42 PM)FlyGuy Wrote: After seeing my latest video I was given some good advice. It is nice to critique yourself after a flight and figure out what you need to do better. It is more rewarding when a pilot that you have the utmost respect for states exactly what you were thinking. 

Just remember when rotor/engine rpm increase after going through ETL pull more collective and use that available power to increase climb/acceleration rate. Do not lower throttle to decrease takeoff performance. Make takeoff profile outside the dead man's curve. When flying always make sure you have enough height to ensure autorotational glide distance to a suitable landing area.... and while you are at it tack on a few hundred more feet to increase your decision time and therefore options. Why only have the altitude to just make it to your intended point of landing because surely something can change (like the wind) to ruin that plan.

Michael

Saw this and thought it might be a learning point  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrS1jhG9tf4&feature=player_embedded

Mike
Mike,

I have been monitoring Hawaii News Now and they reported the pilot contacted the HNL tower and reported a problem ( not specified ). If he would have put it down on land he would have injured tourist and passengers to a greater degree.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014