Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter Simulator
Wink 
I am NOT a rated helicopter pilot although I have had some time in a Rotoway many years ago. Before I made my first hover in my Mosquito XEL that I built, I wanted to get some training - but I got it in a SIMULATOR.

I am thankful to the Medallion Foundation of Anchorage, AK for they have a FlyIt helicopter simulator (amongst other ATD training devices) that is provided FREE to registered pilots. I have taken advantage of that to the tune of 30+ hours {6 or 7, 4-hour sessions so far) of FREE flying (normally $180-$230 per hour) every time I have a layover in Anchorage.

No instruction or instructor provided. One can screw around or indulge in some serious training maneuvers as much as one likes. I practiced hovering; fwd/backward/sideways flights, pedal turns before my first hover back in JUN, 2015. Now, I have been practicing Hover Autos and autorotations, to a varying degree of success but I am gaining confidence and prepared for that probable eventuality if it happens in my Mosquito.

Thanks to FlyGuy (Mike Marshall) for instructions on posting videos, will be posting some interesting videos after this........

As promised.....a short video from yesterday.  Mike: the scenery familiar???  NOTE: The wind was zero and the ship was berthed! I won't want to try that in real-life out at sea!!

Andy,

Hook that Sim to a truck and bring it to Colorado. That is really cool! It is definitely more realistic than my X-Plane Sim.
Thanks for the shout out. I am glad I was able to help. Now we are getting back to the exchanging information, ideas, and seeing what everyone is doing. Don't forget to post vids of you in your bird. No rush. Believe me I know it takes time but when I started on this site I got such a kick watching newly posted videos of guys hovering, doing pick-ups, pedal turn, you name it. Keep up the good work!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014