Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
practicing in the wind
Practiced hovering and took a flight around lake texoma in 12 gusting 20.  Pretty interesting.  Also practiced hover autos.
I tried flying in 14 mph gusting to 25. Yes it is very interesting!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Did you have your doors on Mike? I'm grounded for a week, replacing my vertical stab I damaged 3.5 years ago, ordered a new one.
Dave
No Dave.

I am staying away from the doors till I am more comfortable with handling it in wind without doors. 

Mike
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

So when you both say that handling in the wind is "Interesting", what does that mean?

Are there any unusual handling characteristics in the wind and gusts?

Gusts make for exciting moments in most aircraft but having never flown a heli, I'm not sure how "interesting" it can be.
Ray
Essentially at a hover the wind makes things "interesting" due to the effect on tail rotor authority... Depending on skill level and given conditions, this can become very "interesting"... Over correction can cause things to get out of hand quickly in a helicopter... In gusty winds, you will find that your feet are sometimes tap dancing on the pedals to reasonably maintain heading control... This dance on the pedals causes throttle change, which then causes inputs on the other control surfaces... All helicopters behave differently in the wind, but I do find gusty winds to be quite noticeable in a mosquito... I'm not saying that it isn't controllable, but the light weight of the craft definitely allows the wind to take effect a little bit more than conventional heavier ships... I will say that above ETL in normal cruise flight, the mosquito handles winds fairy nicely, almost more so than an AS350...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Photo 
Thanks Zman for explanation.

I have flown in some very light aircraft and know the feeling of being tossed around, but its additional fun in a heli when the you get those interactions between control inputs.
[Image: RAY_LAZ.JPG]
Lazair: 190 lbs, 36' span

I have seen some very precise control on Mosquito videos and I'm frankly amazed.  I mean who flies around inches above the ground picking up road cones on a skid etc. Remarkable!
Ray
OK, flew this morning in variable winds with the doors installed.?
Two things come to mind, the variable winds do make hovering just a bit more sporting. Nothing to get excited about, just different. The other thing I wasn't expecting. It required far less power in forward flight, decreased wind resistance I guess. Also, it has a tendency for increased yaw, that I did expect. I'm going to try a line of small vortex generators on the doors to see if I can keep air attached better, improving stability. Will report back.
Dave