Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XE-285 oil tank cap problem
Is it possible that the 285 oil tank was never intended to hold petroleum products?

My cap gasket was swollen and ballooning away from the cap.  I made a replacement out of automotive rubber gasket sheet but it had to be 15mm smaller in diameter than the swollen gasket to fit into the cap.

I checked a recently re-engined XE here in the shop and it was just as bad.  Both are using the recommended Legend ZX-2SR oil.  Neither of the failed gaskets have more than a couple of hours of flight time, or a couple of weeks exposure to the oil.

I've attached a picture of a new cap, the gasket from mine (now somewhat dried out and flatter), and the other XE's cap.  The other shot is a close-up of a failed gasket.

Do you have a better solution than mine for everyone else?
-Chip-
N8421L Mosquito XE-285
Chip,

Mine only had an "O"-ring.
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Just checked mine, also swelling up pretty bad.  Guess I'm going to need a flat O-ring and replace.
Thanks for the heads up.
Dave
Yep, mine has done the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never noticed it before but the rubber liner clearly doesn't like the oil.  The tanks are supposed to be inert to chemicals.  I will find a suitable replacement but if anyone finds something let me know please.
This is what I'm using.

http://smile.amazon.com/Canton-Racing-Pr...detailpage

Kind of pricey, but it like it.
I wish the site tube was on the other side, but it's still easy to check.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lorne Diebel
MXE1106
Merritt Island, FL
I've seen Lorne's oil tank and it's classy and nicely engineered, but I prefer a translucent tank over a sight tube myself.

May I suggest that any replacement tank have an offset fill opening?  It's nearly impossible to refill the current one, mounted in the specified position, without making a mess.  Even using a plastic funnel is problematic.

Either that, or find a cap&spout that fits on the Legend oil gallon jug.
-Chip-
N8421L Mosquito XE-285