Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New to me XEL
I am the new owner of the american flag painted XEL serial #1004. I brought her home 9 days ago and have been doing some minor work on her as well as flight testing. After 9 days of ground work I got her in the air yesterday for the first time. I am a low time rotor pilot (25 hours of r22 training). So I'm taking it slow and easy.
This is my first experience in any helicopter other than an r22, my first experience without a governor and my first solo. Despite all that I would say that my experience so far has been very good, feels safe and manageable.
The hardest thing seems to be throttle control, I notice that I am reducing the power unless I pay attention to the gauges more that I probably should be so low to the ground. I'm certain I'll get over this as I practice more but I'm surprised how much focus it takes not to roll off the throttle.
I am continuing my flight lessons and should be ready for my Rotor add-on soon (I am a fixed wing pilot)
Look forward to getting to know the Mosquito community better as time goes on. I live is south florida and would be happy to hook up with any mosquito owners down here
Welcome aboard Richard! I too am a fixed wing pilot but have always wanted to fly helis. Slow and easy is the only way to do it. I know you will love your bird. There are a bunch of great guys here on the forum and a lot of help and information. Living in Fla, you are closer to the factor than I am and there are a lot of Mosquito owners around the area. 

Have fun and fly safe!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

(07-13-2016, 02:28 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: Welcome aboard Richard! I too am a fixed wing pilot but have always wanted to fly helis. Slow and easy is the only way to do it. I know you will love your bird. There are a bunch of great guys here on the forum and a lot of help and information. Living in Fla, you are closer to the factor than I am and there are a lot of Mosquito owners around the area. 

Have fun and fly safe!

Michael

Ty Michael, nice to be aboard
Welcom Richard, I too am a fixed wing guy. Noticed a Mosquito at KOSH one year and got hooked. Pretty much taught myself to fly the thing, took it real slow the first year. Warning, these are addictive. Hope to hear from you and your adventures.
Dave
XE 285
Welcome to the Mosquito club Richard!  Yes, unfortunately pilots that train in the R22 usually receive very little time without the governor which is not a good thing in my opinion since the governor can fail and leave you managing throttle with minimal training.  It will just take hover practice and soon it will become instinctive to react to the tone of the engine just like all the other aspects of flight.  We have a governor available but we always strongly recommend you learn to fly without it first for your own safety.
I plan to stay away from the governor add on and learn to with what I have, perhaps it would be easier if I wasn't such a coward and keep rolling off the throttle.   Undecided
Coward? I don't think so, just sounds like you're being careful. I recently upgraded to the 285, and throttle control is a little more difficult than before. This engine is so powerful you just think about the throttle and it responds. John is right, soon you will hear the slight pitch changes and make changes without really thinking about it. Spend some time at the factory if you get a chance, great people and could get your ship checked out by the best.
Dave
Hey Richard,

Welcome to the club.  I have a Mosquito Air that I fly everywhere.  Its a great machine to practice all your maneuvers in.  I am currently working on my slope landings.  I pretty much stay away from max performance T/O's just because if the engine quits it might not be so great.  I taught in the r22 and I like the machine but I just never got used to the T bar cyclic.  Oh well enjoy your new machine.

Paul
(07-15-2016, 01:55 AM)ODave R. Wrote: Coward?  I don't think so, just sounds like you're being careful.  I recently upgraded to the 285, and throttle control is a little more difficult than before.  This engine is so powerful you just think about the throttle and it responds.  John is right, soon you will hear the slight pitch changes and make changes without really thinking about it.  Spend some time at the factory if you get a chance, great people and could get your ship checked out by the best.
Dave

I actually picked up my helicopter at the factory and had them update everything and a thorough check up. You are right they are a super group of people.

(07-16-2016, 05:26 PM)OkieAir Wrote: Hey Richard,

Welcome to the club.  I have a Mosquito Air that I fly everywhere.  Its a great machine to practice all your maneuvers in.  I am currently working on my slope landings.  I pretty much stay away from max performance T/O's just because if the engine quits it might not be so great.  I taught in the r22 and I like the machine but I just never got used to the T bar cyclic.  Oh well enjoy your new machine.

Paul

I agree, I think the mosquito cyclic is much more comfortable than the r22.