Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get temp at cruise
I am wondering why the EGT would be higher at cruise than at hover. My density altitude is low around 1000. My EGT at a hover is below 1100 (where my alarm is set) and a cruise it goes up to 1150, I don't know if it will go higher, because I usually end of my flight when I see that. Recently I noticed in some threads that 1150 to 1200 is normal operating temperature. So I plan to reset my alarm at 1200. If that is inappropriate with somebody let me know
 thank you
Sounds like your just fine.  When you role off the throttle going thru ETL, you are operating more on the needle jet than the main.  This leans the mixture out, hence your increased temps.  Sounds like you have a good plan.
Dave
(08-20-2016, 05:43 PM)Dave R. Wrote: Sounds like your just fine.  When you role off the throttle going thru ETL, you are operating more on the needle jet than the main.  This leans the mixture out, hence your increased temps.  Sounds like you have a good plan.
Dave

Thank you, for the quick response
(08-20-2016, 07:38 PM)Richard Italia Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 05:43 PM)Dave R. Wrote: Sounds like your just fine.  When you role off the throttle going thru ETL, you are operating more on the needle jet than the main.  This leans the mixture out, hence your increased temps.  Sounds like you have a good plan.
Dave

Thank you, for the quick response

Keep in mind, when you are at a power setting in the midrange, (as in cruise if you are not fat) you have quit supplying fuel AND OIL to the engine by controlling it by and through the main jet orifices. (they only do the job from 3/4 to full throttle).  

Once you reduce power into the midrange, you are now supplying and metering the fuel AND OIL through the sleeve-shaped space between the O.D. of the JET-NEEDLE and the I.D. of the NEEDLE JETS.

Your engine can be jetted perfectly in the high throttle zone and still be jetted lean in the midrange.  Oil supply is decreased too and that means a rich setting in the midrange is VERY IMPORTANT.

My advice is, do not change you clip position on your jet needle.  Instead, install richer needle jets until your EGT`s in cruise are no hotter than in a hover and climbout.  For example...if you now have 2.72 needle jets...install 2.76`s and try it out.