Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 10 hours in my XEL
I thought you all might appreciate what the first 10 hours in the XEL is to a beginner. 

Before I even sat in my mosquito I received 20 hours of dual training in a R22.

For the first hour and a half over three sessions all I could really do was throttle up and move the Helicopter around on her skids a little bit. The next step was to do hovers which I did for about two hours over three or four sessions. After that it was time to start doing some taxiing. I am fortunate enough to have access to a 4000 foot runway so the next step was to do take offs and very slow stops and I did that for about an hour or so over a couple of sessions. The next thing I was comfortable with was quick stops I did a bunch of them and then moved on to hover autorotations. It's important to know that every time I move to a new stage I continue to practice what I had done in the stages before so by the end I was doing some hovering some taxiing some takeoffs quick stops and hovering autorotations all at the same session.  By now I was comfortable enough to try some pattern work. The first one I did got me so excited I had to stop afterwards because there wasn't enough room in the helicopter for me and my big smile. After doing the pattern for a few sessions I did my first off airport trip which was about 15 minutes away  at 500 feet. Today I did a 45 minute trip at 1000 feet and feel that I'm ready to start practicing my auto rotations.

I am not on the schedule, I simply move to the next stage when I am comfortable enough to do so

During this entire time I continue to take dual instruction and I am very close to my final check ride.

I AM A NOVICE! I do not recommend this to anybody, it is simply to let you know about my personal experience.

My flight experience before the mosquito is limited to 300 hours in fix wing airplanes including about 70 of aerobatics. 

Richard
XEL 1004 (Betty Boop)
Its good you are taking your time through each stage. - Well done
(08-26-2016, 04:10 AM)arrow123 Wrote: Its good you are taking your time through each stage. - Well done

Ty
Well done!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool! I pretty much taught myself to fly mine. I'm a fixed wing guy too. Just learned there is a new helicopter CFI near me. Am going to see her about some instruction. Better late than never. I'm currently in Carolina Beach NC on vacation, but upon return will be putting my doors on for winter flying. Looking forward to lower DA's.
Dave